• 05-08-2004, 10:46 AM
    Mig
    4 Attachment(s)
    Sigma 12-24 EX DG - first pics (Here ya go Sebastian)
    Okay this little baby showed up at work yesterday. So I of course had to stop and take some pics. All were taken at ISO100, unsharp mask in PS.

1) 13mm f4.5 1/750 - minor vignetting in the corners is due to me forgetting to take off the adaptor ring that goes over the lens hood. Doh!

2) 13mm f16 1/90

3) 12mm f6.7 1/90 - you can see some distortion in the upper left corner

4) 12mm f11 1/60
  • 05-08-2004, 11:32 AM
    Sebastian
    Hmmm...where did I put that creit card....

Those look NICE, thanks.
  • 05-08-2004, 11:44 AM
    Mig
    Hahaha. Yeah - I'm quite pleased. And the view at 12mm when sticking it on the EOS 3? SICK. I love it.

Danielle
  • 05-08-2004, 02:33 PM
    Liz
    Great lens there!
    I love wide angle lenses. Your images make me wonder if I should have thought it out before getting the 17-40 :p Just kidding. I love the 17-40 and for me it's the right one.

However, I love the angle of view on these. I hope you post more soon. :)

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mig
    Okay this little baby showed up at work yesterday. So I of course had to stop and take some pics. All were taken at ISO100, unsharp mask in PS.

1) 13mm f4.5 1/750 - minor vignetting in the corners is due to me forgetting to take off the adaptor ring that goes over the lens hood. Doh!

2) 13mm f16 1/90

3) 12mm f6.7 1/90 - you can see some distortion in the upper left corner

4) 12mm f11 1/60

• 05-08-2004, 07:56 PM
    Mig
    Yeah, that 17-40 is a beautiful lens. In fact when I went into the camera store to get the 10D, that's the lens the guy put on for me to "test drive" with - oh those sneaky salesmen. :D But an effective 27 just isn't wide enough for me, otherwise the 17-40 definitely would have been my choice.

Danielle
  • 05-09-2004, 06:03 PM
    natatbeach
    OOOOooooohhhh
    Happy lense---great shots....
  • 05-09-2004, 06:22 PM
    Liz
    Lenses! Gotta love 'em!
    They sure have a way of making us happy! :D

Gene - I absolutely LOVE that 17-40. Awesome results. The first time I used it was on our trip to NYC.

Danielle - I'm tempted to do the exact thing as Gene after seeing your pics.......however, it will have to wait until next year's tax returns. :rolleyes:

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by genebowhay
    Hi Danielle:

I just went to the camera store on Friday and bought Penny the 17-40 L lens for Mother's Day. Now, after seeing the great pictures you're getting with the Sigma 12-24 I've got to go back and get that lens too!

Your pictures were really impressive. I hope you'll post more soon.

Missed seeing you in NYC, hope to see you in Boston.

Best Regards,
    Gene Bowhay
    Woodland Hills, CA

• 05-09-2004, 06:47 PM
    Liz
    That Sigma is Popular!
    I noticed that B&H are out of stock......Canon better listenup and make a few more wide angle zooms for digital SLR's.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by genebowhay
    Hi Danielle:

I just went to the camera store on Friday and bought Penny the 17-40 L lens for Mother's Day. Now, after seeing the great pictures you're getting with the Sigma 12-24 I've got to go back and get that lens too!

Your pictures were really impressive. I hope you'll post more soon.

Missed seeing you in NYC, hope to see you in Boston.

Best Regards,
    Gene Bowhay
    Woodland Hills, CA

• 05-31-2004, 04:31 AM
    42des
    I am impressed....
    I am absolute impressed by the pictures. Which camera did you use for them? Did you use any filters?

I have got a Canon EOS 300D since Christmas last year and I am looking for a wide angle lense now. The Sigma 12-24 is my absolute favorite at the moment - although it is really expensive.

Maybe you can help me with a last question concerning the possibility to use filters: I am using filters with 55mm / 58 mm at the moment (Polfilter, UV-Filter some effect filters). I know they will nor work with the lense, but what do I need for the lense and what are the approxomately costs?

Thanks,

42des
  • 10-23-2004, 03:44 PM
    Stanley
    Re: Sigma 12-24 EX DG - first pics (Here ya go Sebastian)
    Until about an hour ago I didn't know this site existed. After agonising over a wide angle for my 20D when it arrives, I asked Google about the Sigma and there were the answers. Great images Danielle, it sure looks a better proposition than the Canon 10-22 EF-S especially for those of us who are still fond of our EOS 3's etc.

Looks a great place to spend time once one finds their way around.

Fred.
  • 10-23-2004, 06:58 PM
    another view
    Welcome, Stanley.:)

Mig, do you have any 12mm examples on film? That's what interests me about this lens, being able to use it on film and digital.
  • 06-21-2008, 10:09 AM
    seastud
    Has anyone used this lens for close up action photography with people? I love very wide lenses for people.
  • 06-21-2008, 12:28 PM
    Frog
    Lol....welcome seastud........at first I couldn't figure out why this post had so many replies so soon as it wasn't here this morning.
    Sorry, I don't have an answer for your question but you did do a bit of digging to find the post.
  • 06-21-2008, 12:57 PM
    gahspidy
    The images look great and it looks and reads to be a fine lens.

However, if anyone is considering a zoom lens in this focal range you may also want to give the Tokina 12-24 a look.

It has a constant f4 aperture (which is a big plus right there)

This thread is almost 4 years old, you may want to view threads more recent.
  • 06-21-2008, 05:08 PM
    Liz
    Wow! This thread is an oldie but goodie! It's great to read threads from a while back. I've since sold the Canon 17-40 - and now I have the new Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8 which is also a great lens.

Liz