Showin' Off

Printable View

• 09-14-2004, 01:58 PM
    carney2
    Showin' Off
    I spent some time in Japan this summer and took my usual 100+ photos per day. (It's what we do here, isn't it?) I am now organizing and reorganizing them to put together a presentation for a camera club that I belong to. I have broken things down into two presentations - one on Tokyo and the other on the rest of Japan that we visited. The Tokyo presentation is coming together very nicely and I am very excited about it. Informative and, I think, very entertaining are thoughts that come to mind.

My question to the group is how one goes about finding more opportunities to put on a show like this. I would hate to think that all of this work and a good time is shaping up as a once and done.

Sorry, folks, can't post. I shoot slides and have no scanner.
  • 09-14-2004, 07:42 PM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carney2
    Sorry, folks, can't post. I shoot slides and have no scanner.

Fixing that problem could fix your other problem. :)
  • 09-14-2004, 08:40 PM
    carney2
    Very helpful and constructive, Chunk. Thank you.
  • 09-15-2004, 05:28 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Very helpful and constructive, Chunk. Thank you.

You're welcome.
    Many thousands of photographers are putting their shows on the internet. Why don't you want to join them? You seemed to say you wanted another venue for your photos. If that's not what you are asking, what is it you want?
  • 09-15-2004, 06:27 AM
    carney2
    "Old Style"
    Thanks for sticking with me and not bailing after our little exchange. Here's a quick and dirty summary of what I have in mind:

I'm looking at a "show" of 230 - 250 slides with an entertaining and informative commentary that accompanies it. The images by themselves are not enough. Also, posting 5, 10, 20 images on a website will not even scratch the surface of this. If I had to choose a category, this comes closest to a photojournalism essay. In short, the presentation that I am talking about requires a live presentation. Here are some examples of what I have in mind. Bear in mind that each individual topic is an "essay" of 5 - 15 slides that, along with the narrative, tell a story, and that the topics hopefully tie together into a larger story.

Tokyo subways at rush hour, including "time lapse" of individuals coping with the situation
    Tokyo subway employees who keep the trains running on time by literally stuffing people and their possessions into the closing doors.
    The order and chaos - mostly chaos - of the Tsukiji fish market
    The traditional ceremony and modern carnival atmosphere of a festival at a Shinto shrine

Thanks again. I think that you are correct - this needed more explanation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    You're welcome.
    Many thousands of photographers are putting their shows on the internet. Why don't you want to join them? You seemed to say you wanted another venue for your photos. If that's not what you are asking, what is it you want?

• 09-15-2004, 07:19 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Thanks for sticking with me and not bailing after our little exchange. Here's a quick and dirty summary of what I have in mind:

I'm looking at a "show" of 230 - 250 slides with an entertaining and informative commentary that accompanies it. The images by themselves are not enough. Also, posting 5, 10, 20 images on a website will not even scratch the surface of this. If I had to choose a category, this comes closest to a photojournalism essay. In short, the presentation that I am talking about requires a live presentation. Here are some examples of what I have in mind. Bear in mind that each individual topic is an "essay" of 5 - 15 slides that, along with the narrative, tell a story, and that the topics hopefully tie together into a larger story.

Tokyo subways at rush hour, including "time lapse" of individuals coping with the situation
    Tokyo subway employees who keep the trains running on time by literally stuffing people and their possessions into the closing doors.
    The order and chaos - mostly chaos - of the Tsukiji fish market
    The traditional ceremony and modern carnival atmosphere of a festival at a Shinto shrine

Thanks again. I think that you are correct - this needed more explanation.

You didn't mention whether you want to be paid for these or if you are doing it for the experience of giving these presentations and sharing your knowledge with others so I'll assume it's for the latter.
    Some groups who might be interested in your subjects are...
    ...language clubs. Some colleges and high schools have clubs for the various langages that are taught and I imagine any for Japanese would be interested. I imagine that there might be some japanese language instructors who might enjoy using your presentations as part of their class.
    ...social studies classes on all levels.
    ...transortation studies programs.
    ...high school and grade school assemblies. Schools around here present various programs for larger groups of students.
    ...retirement homes, VA hospitals (might get some varied responses from WWII vets) other locations with people who are not able to get out and about.
    ...local service clubs and various social clubs.
    ...local speaker's bureau. These are listings of people who want to give presentations. Search in your areas.
    ...look around on local college bulletin boards for where similar typse of programs are presented.
    Not all of these would be able to use a full blown 250 slide presentation. Are you planning on being able to use some of those individual topics packaged as smaller stand alone presentations?