ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Should I sell my first SLR?

I'll be buying a Canon D30 in the next couple of weeks, and keep using my A2E film body as a backup - and that will put my trusty ol' 650 up on the shelf, as I won't need to be carrying a third body. I really need as much money as possible to help pay for the D30 (I'm selling some motorcycle-related stuff to help fund it) and could use the money from the 650 ($100+, I guess). I'll also be buying some upgrades for the PC and an Epson Stylus 1280 another $600+ in total.

And yet I don't know that I want to part with the 650 ... it was the tool I used for several "firsts", such as my first roll of slide film; my first fashion shots; my first published photos.I guess I'm a little sentimental about it, though I'm never sentimental about much of anything.

What would you guys do?
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

Liz

Talking Wellsir........there comes a time......

I think many of us have gone through that. I thought it would take me forever to make that same decision. However, I ended up selling my Elan 7e and a few lenses along with it, and the G3 to get the Rebel 300D. I did keep one trust Rebel 2000 as a back up, but only used it once for b&w film. And even then.....the guy at Walmart burnt all the pics! And as for the Rebel now.......I'm letting someone who doesn't own a camera use it. Why not!

I do wish I had kept the G3 as a 2nd all around lighter camera as now I'm looking for one to carry with me (and the G3's are very hard to find)! That's life.........

However, it sounds like you already have your back up camera. So, if I were you, I'd sell it! Enjoy your new camera and have lots of fun!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I'll be buying a Canon D30 in the next couple of weeks, and keep using my A2E film body as a backup - and that will put my trusty ol' 650 up on the shelf, as I won't need to be carrying a third body. I really need as much money as possible to help pay for the D30 (I'm selling some motorcycle-related stuff to help fund it) and could use the money from the 650 ($100+, I guess). I'll also be buying some upgrades for the PC and an Epson Stylus 1280 another $600+ in total.

And yet I don't know that I want to part with the 650 ... it was the tool I used for several "firsts", such as my first roll of slide film; my first fashion shots; my first published photos.I guess I'm a little sentimental about it, though I'm never sentimental about much of anything.

What would you guys do?

I'm not the right person to respond.......

.......I have a Canon Rebel Digital, G2 (great backup), 2 Mamiyas, and 5 35mm SLR cameras. They all serve a purpose and I will keep them. The only one I am ready to depart with is the Canon EOS 7E. So what was your question again......

-Dave-

Thanks, guys .. I opted to sell it after all, it's now on eBay. Liz, I guess you went through the same thing in order to get your digital SLR body (the Rebel). Photography has helped change my life in many positive ways, and the 650 was what got it all started for me, so that's probably why I'm so attached to it. But I need to go digital, so yea, it's time to let go..

And Dave, I also have quite a collection of cameras - unfortunately most of them don't work, lol. I do have a working Yashica rangefinder, a Holga, and a Fuji Finepix 2800 along with EOS bodies, but I'm always using and abusing my Canons almost exclusively.

Thread Information