ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The shot I didn't get

Tonight, as soon as "Desperate Housewives" was over, my husband asked me to run to Culver's for him and get him a hamburger. As I pulled out of my driveway, I was struck by how crisp and clear and big and bright the moon was in the east, and wished I was out there with my camera. Then, as I got to the end of the street, I looked left (east), and there down the hill about a mile away by the railroad tracks was this HUGE plume of smoke, several acres wide, and in the few seconds I sat there and watched, the glow in the sky above the spot got bright orange. I could see flashing emergency vehicle lights on the street, and through the trees I could see flames, which seemed to be along the ground. A train was coming through just a few hundred yards to the south of the flames.

I drove back to the house and grabbed my camera and tripod, but by the time I got back to my spot the orange glow had lessened, and then I realized I had the wrong lens. So I ran back to the house again, grabbed my 75-300, but when I got back, the orange was gone, replaced by just some white smoke.

If only I had had my camera set up when I first saw the shot! I could have had a wonderful shot of a huge orange fiery glow in the night blackness, with the piercing white light of a train cutting through the smoke, and a huge crisp full moon above.

Well, chances are I wouldn't have exposed it right to get all that the way I imagined it, but I like to imagine that I would have.

Do you have any "shots that got away" this week?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: The shot I didn't get

Ah Kelly,

A few. Today, when the sun was setting. I was out at a lake, and the refeclection was just marvellous. Cliche, I know, but this was breath taking for April. Always wish I could make a head camera and take pictures everywhere

three days ago.......

.....was driving to wexford in south east ireland, and the weather was dreadful, when i looked to my right there was this field covered in white canvas, protecting crops.......the sky was just blank white, and the canvas was curving up the field to meet the sky. It looked great, this white field in the grey bleak country.......almost winter wonderland!

Anyways, narrow country road, line of traffic behind me and do you think there was a place to stop?

nope, not a gate in sight, nor a turn off for five miles,
    what can ya do.............................................

I can admit it, my wife and I watch Desperate Housewives too...

Yesterday afternoon I was working outside and saw a really nice deep blue, partly cloudy sky - the kind we don't get here too often. I thought I should really grab the camera and head out but had things that needed to get done. So I didn't actually see any shots but I'm sure they were many yesterday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I can admit it, my wife and I watch Desperate Housewives too...

Yesterday afternoon I was working outside and saw a really nice deep blue, partly cloudy sky - the kind we don't get here too often. I thought I should really grab the camera and head out but had things that needed to get done. So I didn't actually see any shots but I'm sure they were many yesterday evening.
    Steve, I actually did stop along the side of the road last night to get this shot. It's not great, but I love the COLORS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The shot I didn't get-sunsetclouds.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Tonight, as soon as "Desperate Housewives" was over...

Hey Kelly,

While I don't watch "Deserate Housewives", I've lost count of how many times I didn't get a shot that I wanted. All too often, I've had my camera with me, but didn't have the time to stop, or didn't have a place to stop. I carry my camera with me about 90% of the time, but there are still times when I couldn't stop and shoot. Sometimes it's heartbreaking.

As for boring shots with great colors, I've got one of those too! Had Reala in the camera, had a gorgeous sunset, had time to stop, and I didn't have a decent foreground object to make it interesting. Makes for a BORING composition. I had the camera, I had the colors, I was just in the wrong place. But like your reply to Steve, I love the colors in this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The shot I didn't get-sunset-011-reala-pr.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Kelly,

Those colors are stunning. The sun on the bottom of those clouds is just great. Very nice shooting!

Jared

drg

The moral to the story:

Always carry a camera or Don't leave home without one!

I still carry a film p/s or a pocketable (Canon A70) digital just so I don't miss too much. Something is better than nothing sometimes.

I still miss a lot just not always being able to stop and shoot. The "where do I park the car problem" has plagued us all. Then again I'll happily let somebody else drive so I can hang out the window/sunroof if need be.

Some nice photos here, too.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    The moral to the story:

Always carry a camera or Don't leave home without one!

I still carry a film p/s or a pocketable (Canon A70) digital just so I don't miss too much. Something is better than nothing sometimes.

I still miss a lot just not always being able to stop and shoot. The "where do I park the car problem" has plagued us all. Then again I'll happily let somebody else drive so I can hang out the window/sunroof if need be.

Some nice photos here, too.
    DRG,

I know the feeling of where to park the car. I've followed some cops and firefighters to the scene before, and parking can be tough when there's that much commotion. *sigh* I wish a car could shrink down to the size of a bike

Jared

you may not have gotten the the shot...but thanks to yur gift with words I now have the image hanging in my brain (still deciding on a frame)

sometimes it works when you just plant the image in someone's brain thanks...

my critique: good eye, great composition, beautful colors and just enough contrast and saturation...well done ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Tonight, as soon as "Desperate Housewives" was over, my husband asked me to run to Culver's for him and get him a hamburger. As I pulled out of my driveway, I was struck by how crisp and clear and big and bright the moon was in the east, and wished I was out there with my camera. Then, as I got to the end of the street, I looked left (east), and there down the hill about a mile away by the railroad tracks was this HUGE plume of smoke, several acres wide, and in the few seconds I sat there and watched, the glow in the sky above the spot got bright orange. I could see flashing emergency vehicle lights on the street, and through the trees I could see flames, which seemed to be along the ground. A train was coming through just a few hundred yards to the south of the flames.

I drove back to the house and grabbed my camera and tripod, but by the time I got back to my spot the orange glow had lessened, and then I realized I had the wrong lens. So I ran back to the house again, grabbed my 75-300, but when I got back, the orange was gone, replaced by just some white smoke.

If only I had had my camera set up when I first saw the shot! I could have had a wonderful shot of a huge orange fiery glow in the night blackness, with the piercing white light of a train cutting through the smoke, and a huge crisp full moon above.

Well, chances are I wouldn't have exposed it right to get all that the way I imagined it, but I like to imagine that I would have.

Not this week, but one time we went to Sea World in Florida and I didn't bring my SLR (heavy, didn't want to get it wet, etc.) So I just brought an APS camera with a fixed wideangle lens. My daughter gets recruited to be a the guest star of the dolphin show and my pictures really stink. Great moment, though.

Thread Information