ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question Selling your photos...How do you do it?

I've read quite a few threads lately about people who've been pretty excited because they finally sold some of their work. I'm just wondering if you could share how you do it?

I don't do photography full-time; every once in awhile I'll get a part-time job shooting homes for real estate booklets, but other than that my day job pays the bills. I'm just looking for a way that I can make a few bucks on the side with the photography I get to do in my spare time. Actually, I wouldn't even care that much if I got paid, but I think it'd be cool to see other people using your photos in magazine/books or whatever.

Over the past few years I've built up quite a portfolio. I'm sure that there is at least 1 or 2 pictures that somebody would like to use or pay for, but I have no clue as to what the best way is to go about finding those people.

Do you simply go around contacting a bunch of magazine/publishers and submitting your photos for consideration? Are there agencies who go looking around for different types of pictures who you can contact?

Most of my work is landscape, macro stuff, and MTB photos. Any suggestions for this particular type of work?

Any other suggestions/stories about how you go about finding people to use your work?
    Last edited by azonicbruce; 05-16-2004 at 09:25 PM.
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    My website has helped me to sell my work. I've had advertising companies contact me looking for a specific image.

Word of mouth has been great for me too. Even my matter/framer has sold some of my work for me.

I am also a member of a photo club in which we have our own salon. Participation in this helps to get your name out there.

Juried art shows. They may be tough to get into, but its fun seeing your work hanging in those galleries, with your price tag on it.

It takes time, I started out like you. I'm still not quite a 'full timer'. I started selling/giving to my friends & family. Then I expanded out locally, sold several images to local businesses, retail stores, and nursing homes. Then I focused more on my website. I'm still trying to buid up my portfolio too.

Hang in there!

Kathy

If you're shooting for magazine and book publishers, there are a couple of ways to do it. Get a copy of the Photographer's Guide to Stock Photography. That has listings of lots of magazine and book publishers, and it lists their needs, the formats they require, and how they prefer to be contacted. i usually send them maybe fifty slides and a page of prints. Write them a nice letter, and ask to be kept on file. Also send a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of your material.

If they like your stuff, they may send you a submission schedule with their anticipated needs, and put you on an e-mail list for assigments as they come up.

A website --which I don't have-- would be extremely useful.

For me this approach works, but is pretty marginal in terms of profitability. Postage, and the cost of producing a good submittal tends to wipe out your profits.

I've reverted to what I used to do. I contract to write articles, and then sell the photos as part of that package. This is what works best for me.

--Jeff

Jeff, where can you get that guide? Can you get it at Barnes and Noble (closet place I can think of)?

Cowgirl, how did those ad agenicies get to your website? Did they pop up in search engines or did you contact them and refer them to your website?

I'm in the process myself of setting up my website. I think it'd save some time & money so that instead of having to send out a bunch of copies I can refer them to one central location with all my work.
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

Stock Photographers' Guide

You can get the guide from Barnes and Noble in the photography section or from Amazon.com. It's about 500 pages and is updated annually.

A website is a major advantage in selling stock photos, because it's easier for the editors to access, and you don't have the cost associated with sending slides through the mail for prospecting purposes. You just send a letter to an editor, and ask them to look at your website.

Also, put together a stock list to go with your letter.

--Jeff

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Look for local opportunities...

Is there a hip restaurant that you frequent that will put a local artist's work on the walls? Is there one that has boring walls that you can convince to put your work up?

Sometimes businesses will do that. This July, I'll have some of my photographs on display at a massage therapy office on Long Island. This fall or winter, I'll be putting some up on the walls of a new local hip little contemporary cuban eatery.

If you've got a favorite independently-owned restaurant, become a regular, and get to know the staff or owner. Then broach the subject. It's one way, anyway!

Megan

where to sell photographs

I matte and frame my photographs and hang them in a diner owned by a friend - that is my flower photography. I also do pet photography and hang portraits in grooming shops with my card. I walk around at car shows with my portfolio and cards in case any car owners want a portrait of their cars - i'm currently working on a calendar for a car club. There are craft shops that take stuff on consignment and that is where I bring my shadow boxes -I have one with an angel on a beach and in the box I filled the bottom with sand and added some shells and put some feathers on her wings. Added a little sparkle and off they go for consignment!

You must make things priced to sell until people really recognize your work and I number each print with a limit of 25 - I increase the price after the first 15 sell.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

This thread has got me interested... Suppose for a moment, an amateur photographer had some good photos printed, matted, and framed, and displayed in a diner or a gift shop or something. How much could you expect to get paid for a picture? It'd sure be sweet to have a hobby the could support itself and not just cost money, like the rest of my hobbies !!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    I came across a nice exhibition in the station hotel in Chaumont on the way back from the Spanish Grand Prix.
    They were having an international graphic arts fair there, and this guy had a one man show in the lobby.

I was struck by how over-saturated almost all his landscape photos were. Also by how few of them struck me as really good. Yet he had a show, and a price list.

Maybe I'll take that as inspiration and go out and take more photos - I was made redundant yesterday.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I finally got some webspace and am in the process of building my website that will contain most if not all of my work. Perhaps some of you can stop by and let me know what you think of the layout (it will probably take a couple weeks before I have everything up and running).

www.60hzproductions.com

I like the photographers guide idea. Just need to go out and get it. I also like the idea of looking for local opportunities. My only problem with that is I don't frequent hip, independantly owned resaurants or businesses, but I know there are tons in the area. Looks like I need to get out of my shell and explore a bit!

Penny, interesting idea. How do you price your prints? I don't think I'd be able to do that where I work but I do know a couple of activities that my wife participates in that would present an opportunity like that.
    60Hz Productions

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Damn - you go girl! I take back what I said about you being out of control with your cameras

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    Damn - you go girl! I take back what I said about you being out of control with your cameras

Danielle
    No kidding! That's awesome Penny! I reckon I could sell a print for maybe 5 bucks where I work. Like you said, demographics.

Hmm, my parents live in a nice part of town. Wondering if I can get exposure in that neighborhood.

Do you bring them in to work that size? Or do you simply sell them based off a smaller print as an example. What camera are you using? I currently have a D30 but I think I'd have to res up my pics to get them to print that big. I heard Genuine Fractels is pretty good. HOw much is that program anyway?

Enough babbling, I need to hurry up and get my photos uploaded on my site!
    60Hz Productions

Thanks for all the info-keep it coming!

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the info and questions. I gleen a lot from you all! Bruce, I like your website. That's one of my next projects. Penny, you photo is beautiful! And I love hearing about how to get started. I make photo cards, mostly with Macro flowers, shells, etc and sell them to stores. I am not too up on photoshop yet, but hope to be soon!
    Susan

Thread Information