• 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
    AgingEyes
    See what happened to my digicam...
    Two weeks later, the LCD screen on the back of my fujidigicam looks like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2427/...89aac5ee_o.jpg

That is a fujifilm F200EXR I bought in August this year. Two weeks later that's what the screen looks like.

I was still able to take a pic with that camera in the morning. Then I put it in a softcase that I use to carry the camera on my waist, went back to my desk to work. Around noon, I took the camera out of the softcase, turned it on and saw that.

Anybody knows what could have happened?

According to fuji, heavy pressure caused the screen to break. But, the glass is not broken and it has not a single scratch.

Fuji is asking me to pay for fixing it - about 25% of what I paid for the camera - because the LCD screen usually is not covered by the warranty, according to them. OK, fine.

But, they are also saying the warranty that comes with the camera is now voided. The camera is no longer under warranty!

This has never happened to me and I do not understand why the entire warranty is now voided, that I have to pay for any repair from now on no matter what.

Is fuji right to no longer recognize the warranty?

What do you think?

BTW, I have been carrying another sub-compact digicam the same way in the same case for more than a year and that camera is still functioning well.
  • 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM
    caleb
    Re: See what happened to my digicam...
    looks like you leaned against something
  • 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM
    Frog
    Don't know but I guess I won't be buying a fuji.
  • 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM
    realart
    What IS it with this BBS software? I clicked on EDIT and my edit shows up below as a new post and this WAS my original post without the 3rd paragraph. Yeesh!

Please see the next post by me for my thoughts.

Thankee.

PS - IS there a Delete function for our own posts?
  • 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM
    realart
    This seems to be exactly like the Ipod Nano when it was introduced. Some displays were going bad. Mine did as well. I took it back ot the Apple Store and the person I dealt with navigated to an unseen (by me) page on a computer, looked at my Ipod, looked at the computer - back and forth back and forth for maybe 2 minutes realtime (which is a decent amount of time to be comparing). End result? I got a new Ipod Nano.

I would suggest keeping an eye on the internet to see if display problems like this start coming up.

As regards the warranty being voided? I think that is a crock. They want you to pay a decent amount of $$$ to fix the problem but will not warranty the near-new camera after they work on it? For what reason? Do they know something we don't? I would really push them. I would tell them to send you documentation specifying the warranty is now void (including the model and SN in the statement) and the reason why the warranty is void. I would also tell them to send you documentation on why the display is not covered and exactly how they determined that "heavy pressure" caused the malfunction.

If you are ticked I don't blame you. I would be too.
  • 09-16-2009, 11:52 PM
    AgingEyes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by realart
    As regards the warranty being voided? I think that is a crock. They want you to pay a decent amount of $$$ to fix the problem but will not warranty the near-new camera after they work on it? For what reason? .

Exactly !! I just cannot see why the warranty could be voided just like that. I'm trying to get an explanation from them.

Somebody told me this kind of problem had happened to his Casio but Casio replaced it with a new one. Now that's customer service !

Yeah, I am very ticked !
  • 09-17-2009, 12:16 AM
    realart
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Exactly !! I just cannot see why the warranty could be voided just like that. I'm trying to get an explanation from them.

Somebody told me this kind of problem had happened to his Casio but Casio replaced it with a new one. Now that's customer service !

Yeah, I am very ticked !

Act on the tick! Tell them you want documentation on their decision and then follow the internet. Who knows? This may be another Ipod Nano fiasco they just do not want to admit.
  • 09-17-2009, 12:42 AM
    SmartWombat
    Yes, that's a broken screen.
    It takes surprisingly little pressure to break a LCD screen, which is why the ones on the backs of cameras have tough covers.
    They're particularly vulnerable at the edges and corners, less so in the middle of the screen.
  • 09-17-2009, 04:17 AM
    EOSThree
    I did that to one of my phones. I had it in my pocket and leaned against a door frame with a fairly sharp edge: viola a cracked screen. The phone worked for a while, but you could see where the liquid from the display was leaking, eventually parts of the screen completely died.
  • 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
    splats
    That is why I only take "cheap" eBay P&S with me when I go Mt biking , I have donethat to to many camara, as a matter of fact I just did in my Fuji's LCD 2 weeks ago. still takes the pictures though :)
  • 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
    chaman
    Maybe Fuji believes the camera was abused and rely on that crap to void warranty...in other words you broke it, you pay for it! It sucks and I also believe its a good excuse to dont do nothing. At least they could have asked to have the camera checked (sent to them) to corroborate obvious signs of abuse, IMO.
  • 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
    jetrim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Yes, that's a broken screen.
    It takes surprisingly little pressure to break a LCD screen, which is why the ones on the backs of cameras have tough covers.
    They're particularly vulnerable at the edges and corners, less so in the middle of the screen.

I concur, done it to several smart phones - renders them virtually useless. At least the smart phone screens are easy enough to fix yourself.
  • 09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
    AgingEyes
    Thanks for sharing your thought guys!

Still don't think fuji should void the whole darn warranty, but at least I know now what could happen to a LCD screen.