ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What is your favorite photography moment of 2008?

Ok, I "borrowed" this idea from the TWiP blog, but thought it would be fun to share here. Your favorite moment doesn't have to be your favorite photo, just your favorite photography related moment.

Mine was my photo safari to South Africa. Amy and I saved up for almost 2 years to make the trip happen, and it was worth every penny. We both want to go back and visit other areas of Africa.

Here is a link to a thread with some photos from my trip. Here is a link to more photos from my website.

So let's hear about your favorite photography moment of the year.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: What is your favorite photography moment of 2008?

Looking back on it, I would say it would be in August when I first got my camera and posted a photo that I though had some potential. Someone on this board stepped up and said simply, "Nothing is in focus." And so started my journey... - TF

-----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The plant managers wife at plant Bowen found my web site and ordered a large print of Plant Bowen. She is suppose to contact me sometime early 09 and order several more prints of the Cartesville/Bartow county area to decorate all of the offices at the plant.
    They also used the image in a Power Point project at some annual meeting they have at the plant.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I have 3 and it involves meeting 3 folks from this web site!
    Meeting and shooting with Old Timer Larry.
    Meeting and having a nice dinner with Photo John.
    Meeting and hanging out for most of a day with Lori11 in Alabama.
    There is so much help on this site from ALL the folks here!
    Jimmy B

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I remember both of those shots OldClicker and Greg.
    Don't know if I have a favorite moment but I was very happy when a large print came out very nicely.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hmmm, that's a tough call. Been a lot of changes in my photography over the last year. One of the stand out shots for me would be the self portrait I did not long ago. Nothing particularly special about the shot but, it is the first print where I was fully able to go from an idea to having the print come out exactly how I visualized it.

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

JOINING PHOTOGRAPHYREVIEW IN JULY!!!

No doubt. :thumbsup:

So many great, friendly and helpful members here. :yesnod: I have learned a lot since joining and am sure that I learn something new each time I log out for the day.
    --------------
    I received my first DSLR in November... and also sucessfully accomplished my first ever photography assignment in December.

I think discovering Photomatix Pro 3.

For years I had used the zone system for almost every image that I shot, and sweated over the compexity of the exposure development techniques to extend or reduce the dynamic range of an image ... even Ansel Adams would warm to Photomatix if he was still around.

Adams basically set the ground rules that are now part and parcel of all tone mapping programmes. If you know the zone system tone mapping is a snack.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-24-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Favorite moment would have to be when I made the concious decision to get back into this hobby after a long hiatus (6+ yrs.)

Biggest rush was being asked recently by one of my construction customers if they could use one of my photos in a full page ad in Ocean Drive Magazine!

Great topic, Mike! Favorite moment... gosh, there have been so many. I'll go for a Top 5:

1) Getting my first real camera, the XTi, in January.
    2) Placing 2nd in the university-wide art competition just 3 months later with this image:

3) Writing about photography's legal issues for http://hyperphocal.com/
    4) Becoming the official photographer for the Alabama region of the SCCA and having them use my photobooks as their year-end trophies.
    5) Last but not least, all of the fantastic photographers and people on this site who have helped me and so many others improve and have fun doing it.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Congrats on 2nd, brmill26, great photograph!

And I have to honestly mention that your posts are among the most informative I've ever read here at PR.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

My best moment was joining this site. I can't believe how much I have learned from so many giving talanted people. Oh and hanging out with Jimmy rocked too! I also met Brad! He is so close I forget I met him from here and not the track! I have high hopes for 2009!
    Last edited by Lori11; 12-26-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Having the idea and then the nerves of steel (yeah, right!) to take this photo of the NYSE!

2008 has been a not-so-fun rollercoaster, but some good things happened - and one of those things was getting "focused" on a photo essay, of which this photo is the coup-de-grace.

Megan

Thanks everyone for playing along.

My second biggest photography moment of 2008 was that I was in my first big Art Fair this year. It was a juried show and I was thrilled to be accepted. It was a 2 day show and everything was outside. The weather was perfect all weekend long, and I managed to sell over $1000 worth of my prints, note cards and bookmarks. It was a great weekend and I had a ton of fun!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Just a few of mine-

Two major thrills,
    -getting a shot of mine used in a huge poster all over Tehran.
    AND getting a featured photo in "Critique",here. Thanks to ALL !

My son Zak taking up photography,and doing better than me.
    -he now shoots video for the band..my tripod,raincoat are gone for good.

"Cheese",the adopted ginger tom,who has way more than 9 lives,recently recovered,against all odds,from a big prang with a truck...maybe because he plays amongst lucky clovers....
    -this from before the accident,one of my favorite shots from this year.
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=272109

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

That's a really hard decision, as the year has had many new experiences and lessons for me in the realm of photography, but I'd have to say this is one of my favorites. I took this on Christmas Day along Highway 1, in California. Unfortunately, the horizon is a little slanted, but it was the first time I'd really figured out how to change the aperture and shutter on my camera just right to get what I wanted out of the picture! Hope you like it .

From CM Photography

"I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

I'm partial to fall colors
    just walking in the woods...sun blazing
    orange, green, yellow, & red exploding everywhere.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Oh man, so many to choose from. So I'll go with this one:

This was from a photo shoot I did with three wonderfully talented girls after an Anime Convention at the famous Guild Inn Park. It's basically Toronto's architectural graveyard. So it provided a wonderful backdrop for the shoot.

You can view the entire set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle814...7605284515966/
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    This was from a photo shoot I did with three wonderfully talented girls after an Anime Convention at the famous Guild Inn Park. It's basically Toronto's architectural graveyard. So it provided a wonderful backdrop for the shoot.

You can view the entire set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/axle814...7605284515966/
    That's cool!
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

This is a hard question to answer, for me every time I put a camera in my hands it a special moment. But after some thought I came up with these:

1. The opportunity to meet and shoot with PR member Jimmy B and his giving the me a chance to photograph my first NASCAR event since 1972.

2. Getting to photograph President Clinton up close with out getting smacked down by a Secret Service agent.

3. Having photo I took used on my son-in-laws first CD cover. (Rush out and buy one he needs the money!)

4. The thrill I get every time I capture the twinkle in one of my grandson's eye and the joy of sharing those pictures with family and friends.

5. As I said at the top the biggest moment all year was each time that I picked up a camera and the thrill of knowing that this might just might be the day I captured that one great image that will define me as a photographer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your favorite photography moment of 2008?-dsc_9203-2-800.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Awesome stuff here, everyone has really done some many different and cool things. Pretty much just how this site is, right? Alex, thank you very much for kind words, I appreciate it. The least I can do is help others here who've helped me learn so much; and I love seeing some of the newer members improve through time. And meeting and hanging out with Lori so many times at the track has been fantastic. It seems like we always knew each other from there doesn't it? Haha, racing nuts, what can we say...

I'd certainly look forward to anyone else's '08 stories, and for sure am looking forward to '09's.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    I have 3 and it involves meeting 3 folks from this web site!
    Meeting and shooting with Old Timer Larry.
    Meeting and having a nice dinner with Photo John.
    Meeting and hanging out for most of a day with Lori11 in Alabama.
    There is so much help on this site from ALL the folks here!
    Jimmy B
    Wow! I made your list. I am honored

I am always psyched to meet community members. One of my favorite things about running this site is seeing the influence the site has had on photographers all over the world.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Megan that shot is amazing.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

My biggest photography moment of 2008 actually wrapped up in 2009. Does that count?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    My biggest photography moment of 2008 actually wrapped up in 2009. Does that count?
    Sure. Lets hear it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information