ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Rough Weather + Super Slow Film

On average most modern dSLRs have the slowest speed of ISO-100, many 50, I'm not sure. But I recently was given a couple rolls of film that would be rated at ASA-1.5, I decided to take it one stop lower and shoot it as ASA-0.75. How did I do it? Easy, my trusty Sekonic L-358 meter can go down to ASA-3, set the aperature on the meter to f/32, meter, note the shutter speed, and then open up the lens to f/16.

f/32 = ASA-3
    f/22 = ASA-1.5
    f/16 = ASA-0.75

Then taking advantage of a tasty weather day I went out and shot!

Of course the next problem is how to develop the film! This being more Ukrainian Film from the Svema factory there's very little information online about the rare beast that is Micrat-Orto. So a group of us has been working on developing (pun intended) formulas for the film. A good friend developed this in Kodak Xtol Stock for 8 minutes. But it was pretty grainy, so I wanted to cut that by duluting it 1+1 (so that's 150mL of stock to 150mL of water). But then I had to get a time, I could do a whole doubel the time and run it for 16 minutes. But then I looked at the diluted xtol times for the Svema Foto 200, the stock xtol time was 7 minutes the 1+1 dilution was 12 minutes. That's double minus two, so I ran it for the same, making it 14 minutes. And it worked! Probably could go with another 30 to 60 second reduction in time for the future. Another odd note...it develops as a positive!

Nikon F4 - PC Nikkor 35mm 1:2.8 - Svema Micrat-Orto @ ASA-0.75
    Kodak Xtol (1+1) 14:00 @ 20C
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: Rough Weather + Super Slow Film

Interesting, and looks very nice. What was the exposure time? I like them all, the fourth really stands out. Looks like you might get me interested in Sevma film.

Phil
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Lowcostfilm.com http://lowcostfilm.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=76, has the film for $3.00 per roll. Expiration date was 1989, was your film expired?

Phil
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWhite214 View Post
    Interesting, and looks very nice. What was the exposure time? I like them all, the fourth really stands out. Looks like you might get me interested in Sevma film.
    Thanks! Most the exposure times were upwards of ~20 seconds. As for the film I get fresh stuff here: 35mm Film | Film Photography Project
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information