• 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
    GlennByford
    Rhythms and cycles - Exam peice
    Hey ive been set my AS exam paper. The title is cycles and rhythms ive been thinking about this for nearly two weeks now with no luck :mad2: , could anyone post some ideas i could use and an artist to be 'inspired by' also in my coursework i need another photographer that has influenced my final peice, which is a series of nine landscapes and two macro pictures of parts of my bike.
    Thanks for any help and suggestions just about anything will help right now
    :thumbsup:
    -Glenn
  • 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Rhythms and cycles - Exam peice
    Sounds like you're asking us to do your project for you :)

Seeing your photos might help. Since I haven't seen your photos, I have no idea what kind of advice to offer. And artists that have influenced you? That's not really for us to decide, is it? There must be some photographers or artists whose work you admire. Who are they and what about their work inspires you?
  • 03-04-2010, 07:53 PM
    freygr
    Tides? Waves? Buses or Trains?
  • 04-16-2010, 03:39 AM
    GlennByford
    nah i dont need you to do my project for me :P i just need starting points :P, ive chosen my artist, David hockney, and i plan to do a photomontage in his style, im still stuggling on how to relate this to the title though. and doing the tides would be ideal, but i live no-where near the coast :( so thats a bit of a problem.
  • 04-16-2010, 08:48 AM
    Photo-John
    Hockney!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennByford
    nah i dont need you to do my project for me :P i just need starting points :P, ive chosen my artist, David hockney, and i plan to do a photomontage in his style, im still stuggling on how to relate this to the title though. and doing the tides would be ideal, but i live no-where near the coast :( so thats a bit of a problem.

Hockney is great. His machinegun snapshot montages are awesome. I hadn't seen them for a long time and just saw a poster of the mojave desert piece recently. Love it. I think his swimming pool images are the most famous. But I love that mojave image because I lived in Southern California at the time it was made and there are tiny cultural references (trash) that give it sense of nostalgia for me :)

David Hockney >>

So - rhythms and cycles.

You could use Hockney's style as a jumping off point. That means using multiple images to represent cycles. A series, maybe. Open your mind and let it flow. Maybe do some word association with paper and pencil. What are other cycles and rhythms in your area? Is there a river affected by the tide? The most obvious cycle is day and night. How about traffic? Wind? Most places have a wind cycle, controlled by changing temperatures through the day and night.

By the way, thanks for posting again. Now I'm curious to see what you're going to do and especially to see your final project :)
  • 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
    GlennByford
    Photo john - if you'd like to see some of my experementation with montaging theres a set on my flickr with them all in..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn61...7623689207135/
    these are all of the ones i produced in photoshop, there are a few interesting ones i did in my book, but i havent taken photo's of them.
    unfortuneatley these are all digital, but for the conveinence of my coursework i couldnt really use film :P

ill upload my final project pictures after my exam which is wed/thurs of this week *uhoh*
  • 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
    GlennByford
    there we go, exam over!
    My two montages are on flickr now so feel free to have a look, tell me what you think!