ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

resizing images for printing

I have yet to turn any of my digital images into prints, other than useing my HP deskjet printer. I want to get some of my pictures printed so I can frame them, and hang them up in my house. When I open the original photo in PS, shot in fine .jpg mode, the image size is 42.667"x28.444". When I resize the long side to 6" keeping everything in proportiong, the shorter size goes to 4" which is all well and great for snapshot prints, but I want something in a larger, standard size such as 8"x10", 10"x13" or 11"x14". When I resize in PS so the long side is 10" I get a measurement of 6.667" for the other side, and when I go to 11" I get 7.333" for the other side. These measurements were taken with no editing or cropping done to the original image. I want to be able to buy standard size frames for my images, but I don't want to take them out of proportion to get them to fit. I have added mattes and borders to some of my images as well and this only throws the sizes off even more. So what do I need to do to get my images to fit in a standard size frame? Is it simply a matter of cropping the image to the right size? Or is it something that the printing lab will take care of? Or do I just need to print them to the closest size and then center the image in a frame and use a matte to make sure all looks good? Or am I just over thinking the whole process and it's something very simple...

Thanks in advance.
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

You either crop to the right proportions, or you use a mat. A mat is recommended no matter what to keep the print from touching the glass and potentially sticking to the glass.

Are you over-thinking it? Maybe just a litte... ;)
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    You either crop to the right proportions, or you use a mat. A mat is recommended no matter what to keep the print from touching the glass and potentially sticking to the glass.

Are you over-thinking it? Maybe just a litte... ;)

Thanks for the quick reply Seb! One more thing... Once I get the image in the right proportions, do I need to resize the image to the actual print size that I want or will the printer resize it to the final size requested?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Hi Michael,

Answer to your second question: if you specify what size print you want, as long as it has the same proportions as your digital file, then everything is fine. Of course if you have a higher resolution, the printed results will look better. Ideally, you want it to be printed at 300 dpi or more. An example would be 3000x4500 pixels for a 10x15 inch print. By the way, I've done many 10 x 15 inch prints, and they fit quite nicely in the widely available 16x20 inch frames, along with a mat.

But a 3000x4500 pixel image can also be printed at 4 x 6", or any other size that has a ratio of 1.5 : 1 .

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by b_slow
    Hi Michael,

Answer to your second question: if you specify what size print you want, as long as it has the same proportions as your digital file, then everything is fine. Of course if you have a higher resolution, the printed results will look better. Ideally, you want it to be printed at 300 dpi or more. An example would be 3000x4500 pixels for a 10x15 inch print. By the way, I've done many 10 x 15 inch prints, and they fit quite nicely in the widely available 16x20 inch frames, along with a mat.

But a 3000x4500 pixel image can also be printed at 4 x 6", or any other size that has a ratio of 1.5 : 1 .

Thanks for the input! I see that you are from Madison. Do you print your own or do you have them done profesionally? There is only one photo shop that I know of in my area and from what I have heard, he farms the digital prints out to another shop. I would like to cut out the middle man when I get them printed. Can you recomend a shop in the Madison area? Preferable on the West side.

Thank
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

No, I don't get them printed locally, but I do have them done professionally. What I do is upload them to http://www.ezprints.com and specify the sizes and finishes I want, and they send me the prints about a week later. The prices are very good, and they also have good customer service. I once had some strange line printed on one of my images, and they reprinted it and sent another to me with no questions asked. Sorry I can't recommend anything local, but I like ezprints.

Thread Information