ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Remembering 9/11 - Hope!

These were taken about a year ago when a friend and I went to visit the WTC Site - "Rise of Freedom." It was a very moving experience. There has been a lot more progress since then, but I thought I would share these photos as a remembrance. Just snapshots - but filled with emotion - a deep experience I will always hold in my heart.

This is a photo I took of a large poster - the "vision" for the site when completed

Under Construction (1 year ago)

Temporary Walkway between 2 new buildings under construction - enabling visitors to view the construction site walking through the "tunnel."

Looking through a screen - view of the construction as seen through the windows in the "tunnel"

The 1st 2 or 3 floors of one of the buildings was completed - and open to the public. This is a portion of the 1st floor overlooking the indoor/outdoor cafe' on the water (it is beautiful). Visiting this part filled me with joy - and much hope!

Liz

Re: Remembering 9/11 - Hope! Continued

More photos - same day.......

Another view of the cafe' from the inside.

Same building - same area - facing the opposite direction - away from cafe - looking up the stairs

A little more personal rememberance - the next few images were taken outside of the buildings - on the walls - remembering some of the heroes who lost their lives on 9/11

Taken in a small Remembrance Memorial Room out in the plaza

More from the side of the buildings

May We Never Forget!

God Bless America!

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Re: Remembering 9/11 - Hope!

Pic I took in DC shortly after the attacks.

Vietnam memorial with the Washington Monument watching over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remembering 9/11 - Hope!-vietnam-wall.jpg  
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Great post, thank you.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

I didn't realize that many firefighters lost their lives on 9/11.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for posting those photos, Liz. I went looking through my old photos a couple of night ago after I saw this. I was in New York just a few weeks after 9/11 and I wanted to see if I had any photos of all the flyers for missing people. I can't remember where those photos are, though. In fact, I might not have even taken any. I remember feeling very somber and like taking pictures of the flyers was an intrusion on people's private suffering.

Anyway, thanks for sharing these. I hope more people share photos here - if you don't mind. I know we had some powerful photos posted here after 9/11. If I remember right, Megan was downtown, near the towers on 9/11 and took some Holga photos that day. I'm going to post a link for this thread on our Facebook page.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Yes, I took a bunch of shots... not sure where my scans are at the moment. It was the early 00's, so it means digging out my iOmega Zip drive and going through 100mb zip cards!

However, even sans photos, I can testify two PhotographyReview-related things regarding the World Trade Center:

1. The summer of 2001, I flew to Denver, Colorado for an unofficial PR meet-up. We were all at dinner, talking, and P-J asked me something like, "Aren't you nervous working at the World Trade Center after the terror attacks in 1993?" and I replied that I wasn't - there were lots off officers with bomb-sniffing dogs, big traffic-stopping planters and barricades to block trucks from getting close, etc. Then I laughingly said, "What are they going to do, fly a plane into the towers?" I never forgot saying that at that moment because somewhere inside, I went "Sh*t." And yes, I remembered it clearly on 9/11.

2. When I got home that day after walking most of the way to Queens from downtown Manhattan, one of the first things I did was to log on, and I saw that P-J and other forum friends had posted, wondering if I was okay. That was real great to feel a part of something, even though most of us have never met in real life.

Thanks for posting!!

This has been a very difficult day for our nation. Thank you for honoring the memory of those we lost.

Liz

Thank you everyone.

I hope some of you will post more photos - or just post something that you would like to share.

Yesterday a friend of mine and I went to NYC - to St. Patrick's Cathedral for the 10:15 Mass which was to honor one of the Ladder Companies in NYC (sorry - forgot which one). There were hundreds of firemen and women there, their families - and the church was filled with those who came to support them. I only took a couple pictures after Mass which I will post later or tomorrow.

I was hoping to visit to the new 9/11 Memorial which is officially opening to the public today. However, you need a ticket (although it is free) just for the sake of the crowds. They are "sold out" for September. I have a friend coming from Ohio who wants to return to see the changes at the WTC site - so hopefully we will be able to get there in October.

Liz

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Hope to see updates on this thread...soon.

Rick

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by starriderrick View Post
    Hope to see updates on this thread...soon.

Rick
    Thank you for remembering this thread - and for bringing it back to life. I still can't think about that day without getting emotional.

Thank you to all the men and women who serve or have served the USA in so many ways - and places!

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Thanks for posting these photos and your memories
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by megan View Post
    However, even sans photos, I can testify two PhotographyReview-related things regarding the World Trade Center:

1. The summer of 2001, I flew to Denver, Colorado for an unofficial PR meet-up. We were all at dinner, talking, and P-J asked me something like, "Aren't you nervous working at the World Trade Center after the terror attacks in 1993?" and I replied that I wasn't - there were lots off officers with bomb-sniffing dogs, big traffic-stopping planters and barricades to block trucks from getting close, etc. Then I laughingly said, "What are they going to do, fly a plane into the towers?" I never forgot saying that at that moment because somewhere inside, I went "Sh*t." And yes, I remembered it clearly on 9/11.

2. When I got home that day after walking most of the way to Queens from downtown Manhattan, one of the first things I did was to log on, and I saw that P-J and other forum friends had posted, wondering if I was okay. That was real great to feel a part of something, even though most of us have never met in real life.
    I don't remember our conversation at the Colorado gathering. I do remember worrying about people I knew in New York on 9/11, though. I'm glad you're still here with us. And I hope you'll dig up some of the Holga photos you took that day and add them to this thread. I would love it if this thread became a huge, organic tribute to 9/11
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

ELS

+ 1 to your suggestive Tribute Photo-John,

"Always remembering, Never to forget..."

Have a nice day...

Ed

Thread Information