ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Please review my website

hi all. haven't been posting much but have been keeping up with the new board and all the pics and comments. i have a website for some of my photos and would like some feedback from everything on the website to the photos. please check it out if you can. www.photosbyjw.com. Thanks for your help!

Your images are really good, site's photos are extremely quick to load and view, so those two things make your site a good one. Two things: the opening paragraph on your main page...4th line down is unreadable, looks like text typed over text. The other: Your Photos section is confusing...just exactly what is the viewer expected to do there? Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Your images are really good, site's photos are extremely quick to load and view, so those two things make your site a good one. Two things: the opening paragraph on your main page...4th line down is unreadable, looks like text typed over text. The other: Your Photos section is confusing...just exactly what is the viewer expected to do there? Nice work.

Thanks Charles. I will simplify the 1st paragraph. It is a little too salesy anyway. The Your Photos section is for when I take photos of people and post them so they can view them on the site or share them. Right now I don't have any in that section but I understand I need to clarify what that is for.

Thanks for looking and the feedback. I am the webmaster (just learning) and the photog (always learning) so your thoughts are extremely helpful.

only suggestions I have...were to maybe play around with more interesting fonts and maybe different sizes as well...they all look about the same size ...I really loved your photos...it's not easy.... ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Nat, thanks. I tend to think orderly and logical so that explains the fonts, but you are right! Thanks for checking it out.

Also your kids will love you for taking all the pictures you have, but make sure you keep them in a safe place! When I was in 5th grade our house burned down and the only thing we really missed were the photos and the reel to reel movies!

Thanks again!

I have pics of the kids

scanned(film ones) and saved to zip discs and CDs....I have them usually saved to more than one location (not becuase I'm organized because I'm a fruitcake and I forget where I saved them too-lol)

but thanks for the advice...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

A few suggestions.

Hi shutterman, I think you have a good start there. I have a few suggestions that I think would make a improvement (almost every website can stand some improvement).

The first thing that struck me was the blue border around the pictures. Black looks infinitely better, and quite often I prefer no border at all.

The second thing was that while looking at one set of pictures, there was no easy way to see another set. I had to hit the back button to move to the next set. This isn't the most horrible thing in the world, but it would be nicer if each page had the navigation links on it.

Also, you should avoid using spaces in filenames of webpages. Not every web browser can handle them very well, so some of your visitors may not be able to view your site (this is a very bad thing). The easiest fix is to replace them with underscores.

Also, and this is very minor, the grey background strikes me as oldschool (in the internet age). White, or off white would be more fresh.

Of course, these are all just opinions, and like I said, you have a great base to start from. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM, or email.

greg

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    hi all. haven't been posting much but have been keeping up with the new board and all the pics and comments. i have a website for some of my photos and would like some feedback from everything on the website to the photos. please check it out if you can. www.photosbyjw.com. Thanks for your help!

Your work is very nice and as Charles said, the images load quickly. Maybe you want to add a line about where you're at - city (or region) and state.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

A few things...

I was first struck by the grey. I'd also make it white or a different shade.

Personally, I like to see a photographer's passion first, then their business second. You have a passion, I would put that first then have the "sales pitch" come second.

There are some text problems with my browser. On the home page a few of the lines are stacked on each other. Also, the link to the first picture in your landscape section doesn't work.

Hope this isn't picking too hard...

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by gfox
    Hi shutterman, I think you have a good start there. I have a few suggestions that I think would make a improvement (almost every website can stand some improvement).

The first thing that struck me was the blue border around the pictures. Black looks infinitely better, and quite often I prefer no border at all.

The second thing was that while looking at one set of pictures, there was no easy way to see another set. I had to hit the back button to move to the next set. This isn't the most horrible thing in the world, but it would be nicer if each page had the navigation links on it.

Also, you should avoid using spaces in filenames of webpages. Not every web browser can handle them very well, so some of your visitors may not be able to view your site (this is a very bad thing). The easiest fix is to replace them with underscores.

Also, and this is very minor, the grey background strikes me as oldschool (in the internet age). White, or off white would be more fresh.

Of course, these are all just opinions, and like I said, you have a great base to start from. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM, or email.

greg
    Greg, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for. You bring up some points that I would not have even thought about. Thanks for the tip on spaces in filenames - that is a problem I never would have known about. Got some work to do this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I was first struck by the grey. I'd also make it white or a different shade.

Personally, I like to see a photographer's passion first, then their business second. You have a passion, I would put that first then have the "sales pitch" come second.

There are some text problems with my browser. On the home page a few of the lines are stacked on each other. Also, the link to the first picture in your landscape section doesn't work.

Hope this isn't picking too hard...

Rick
    Rick, 1st - thanks for looking and the feedback! 2nd - I agree about the sales pitch. It actually is just a hobby turned side business so I really don't need so much of a sales pitch (my real job is in sales so go figure)

thanks again!
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Your work is very nice and as Charles said, the images load quickly. Maybe you want to add a line about where you're at - city (or region) and state.
    Well that is an obvious fix! Thanks for pointing that out. I never thought about it, I just assumed everyone who looked would already know - that is pretty funny. Thanks!

Thread Information