• 08-24-2006, 06:47 PM
    Sebastian
    Really unsure of this one...
  • 08-24-2006, 07:43 PM
    mtbbrian
    Re: Really unsure of this one...
    What brought you to this church Seb?
    It's an interesting photograph, that I feel would be a good part of picture story of this church, but barely holds it own alone.
    You have more I take it?
    Brian
  • 08-24-2006, 07:59 PM
    natatbeach
    Not sure --- from an aesthetic perspective ---it's o.k. but not the level of your regular images

From an emotional perspective--- I really like this image.
    Sometimes as a whole an image doesn't really do anything for me but then there are little details that really stand out and make me become a little biased towards liking an image :) the way the light and the "glow" around her body(specifically the fingertips of her hand) from the left hand side is very pretty. I love the moment you have recorded...spirituality without restrictions or pretenses.

sometimes in images that portray spirituality they tend to be too fluffy fulll of pretty things like stained glass and candles and such...this is simple ---kinda raw----bunched up rug---fire estinguisher and drink cooler and all--- worshipping is the foucs as opposed to the elements around her.... neat image

I have often wanted to take my camera to church but people here in New England are waaaay to uptight to feel too comfy about it...I like the courage you have....I like this one
  • 08-24-2006, 08:04 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    It's an interesting photograph, that I feel would be a good part of picture story of this church, but barely holds it own alone.
    You have more I take it?
    Brian

Thanks Brian. Yeah, I have a bunch more, including some that I think work much better, but this one I just needed some second opinions on.

Thanks!
  • 08-24-2006, 08:07 PM
    Sebastian
    Nat,

You and I are on the same page as far as just "liking" it.

Quote:

this is simple ---kinda raw-
    That's what makes me like it while simultaneously dislike it. The cooler and extinguisher distract, but I intended them to do that, they put her in the context of some corner somewhere. Like I said, I'm torn on this one. All the flaws make the image, but I can't get over the fact that they're flaws. Intentional flaws.

I feel like I'm regressing. :D
  • 08-24-2006, 08:12 PM
    natatbeach
    LOL.....sometimes there are things about an image that we see as artists---that make other people go ---huh????... what the hell was he (or she thinking)???? lol

I have so many like dislike images---good subject for a new thread---
    "images that you like but dislike" why you can't stand it vs why you do ,despite everyhting that's wrong with it...

ahhhh don't you love this medium...he he
  • 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
    Max P D
    Seb, FWIW I would probably crop out the table and fire ext. and probably the shadow from above - you can use your own two hands to see this effect. If possible, I would have also tried to hide the plug outlet behind the subject to give as "clean" a shot as possible. I know, Monday morning quarterbacking, but it becomes second nature after a while. Nice pic - you caught the moment. :thumbsup:

A few years back I shot at a Pentecostal church and got some very expressive shots similar to yours. The congregation was quite animated as well a speaking in tonques - it could make for an interesting audio-visual presentaion IMHO.
  • 08-24-2006, 08:15 PM
    zrfraser
    If thats what you saw in your minds eye then I think it works. Sometimes we have to make those "mistakes" to convey a point or get a message across. This photo to me at least shows that worship, no matter to what or whom, can be raw and spontaneous. Sometimes we worship where a fire extinguisher is and sometimes we get thirsty. Rules aren't rules they are more like guidelines. Even though the speed limit is 65, sometimes you have to drive 80 to get to where you are going.
  • 08-24-2006, 08:17 PM
    zrfraser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Max P D
    :

A few years back I shot at a Pentecostal church and got some very expressive shots similar to yours. The congregation was quite animated as well a speaking in tonques - it could make for an interesting audio-visual presentaion IMHO.

Having grown up in a Pentecostal church I can totally relate to that.

Z
  • 08-24-2006, 08:19 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    ahhhh don't you love this medium...he he

Yeah, I really do.

Thanks Nat, good talk. :) Now go start that thread. I think you know which one I'll post.
  • 08-24-2006, 08:22 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Max P D
    The congregation was quite animated as well a speaking in tonques - it could make for an interesting audio-visual presentaion IMHO.

This was that sort of church. Lots of people barefoot yelling stuff in the middle of the sermon. Good stuff.

I appreciate your input, but I know it already. That's the point of this thread, I for some unknown reason prefer it without the "improvements." :D

I take these church assignment because no one else wants to. I find them fascinating.
  • 08-24-2006, 08:23 PM
    Sebastian
    Thanks Z. :)
  • 08-24-2006, 08:38 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Now go start that thread. I think you know which one I'll post.

I think it would be selfish of me to post about 90% of the images I have ever taken---lol

maybe I'll be selfless and let someone else start it:D
  • 08-24-2006, 08:40 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    maybe I'll be selfless and let someone else start it:D

Good luck with that. :D
  • 08-24-2006, 09:26 PM
    pyxel
    The only thing that bugs me is the cooler and fire extinguisher, I think they are pretty distracting to the whole image. Other then that, I like the idea and the lighting is good, I like the shadows!
  • 08-24-2006, 10:20 PM
    BLS439
    Quote:

You have more I take it?
    Brian

I agree with you Brian. This would definitely work better as part of a mutli-shot story rather than on its own.

Can't wait to see the rest!
  • 08-25-2006, 06:44 AM
    Sebastian
    Who says I'm posting the rest? :D
  • 08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Exactly...
    Quote:

I feel would be a good part of picture story of this church, but barely holds it own alone...

Brian nailed it. It needs to be part of a series of images to be better understood. And there's certainly nothing wrong with that...

I for one, have never believed every photo has to stand on its own and clearly deliver its message to all viewers. Far from it. The power and true meaning (if there is such a thing) of MANY images are reveiled only by knowing the story behind them and seeing them placed in context within a group...
  • 08-25-2006, 08:23 AM
    shutterman
    I would not have assumed it was even from a church. On its own it is hard to know what the photo is all about and it makes the intentional distractions even more of a distraction.

As part of a series the distractions are less important - otherwise my eye is wandering around trying to figure out just what is going on.

The lighting around her is pretty cool though!

Thanks,
    Wes
  • 08-25-2006, 08:34 PM
    Sebastian
    Here's one I like.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

http://www.cmcpics.com/blogimages/prayer02.jpg
  • 08-25-2006, 09:19 PM
    natatbeach
    ...still like the first best.... my two cents
  • 08-25-2006, 09:23 PM
    Dylan8i
    i like this last one, however i feel a crop needs to be tried. crop very close on the sides on the lady. this would make it look like the beam of light was shining specifically on her. but then the background would be kind of messy.
  • 08-28-2006, 07:34 PM
    julsoph
    It's interesting to me that neither of these shots have a church-y background. It's obvious that they're praying or worshipping, but not that they're at church (although in the one with the map background, I do see the "ministries" in the framed pictures). It's strange to see the two people so isolated too. When I picture "church", I picture how things are at my church, where you're pretty surrounded by people...just kind of my initial thoughts on the two shots.

As far as the first shot...I understand what you mean (I think) about the corner, but I can't help but think that either you need to crop out the cooler and such or not crop quite so much of either thing. My personal vote would be to have more of the objects showing, and maybe more carpet in front of her...
    The second shot I like much more...I like the lines of the frames, and I love the map behind her. The beam of light shining right down on her is awesome, and really gives it a "spiritual" feel without actually coming right out and saying it, if that makes sense. I'd straighten it and crop off the wooden things at the top possibly.
    I love the posture/poses of each person as well...and I particularly like the light on their hands. :)

Emily
  • 08-28-2006, 08:10 PM
    Janie
    Actually, I wish you got more of the floor in front of her because that shadowing of her arms is pretty cool! Otherwise, it's kind of missing the story, not like your usual stuff that is loaded with stories!