• 01-17-2005, 11:02 PM
    kostcoguy
    quick question from a new guy
    Alright I already did a search on this but I couldn't find a real explanation about it. What does a filter do? I know what it is, but I was looking through a thread and someone said they used an orange filter. But it was on a black and white shot. What does this do for the picture and which different ones are used for different situations? I shoot both black and white and color so both views would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • 01-17-2005, 11:16 PM
    Dzerzhinski46
    Check this out.
    I really can't say much in the way of what filters can accomplish as I am just as new at using them as any rookie :rolleyes: . I understand the theory fairly well, but I don't have a lot of personal experience. I would say though, that the subject of filters covers a wide field. They not only encompass color filters, they also include neutral density filters, polarisers (colored and otherwise), fog, etc. Below is a useful link I happened across that discusses filters. Very good for the beginner. I actually only started to get interested because I am interested in trying infrared photography. Someone might be able to better explain and differentiate filters for you than I can.

A basic introduction to filters:
    http://216.110.168.55/march2003/jalt...en3_2003.shtml

Dzerzhinski :D
  • 01-18-2005, 06:29 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Re: quick question from a new guy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kostcoguy
    Alright I already did a search on this but I couldn't find a real explanation about it. What does a filter do? I know what it is, but I was looking through a thread and someone said they used an orange filter. But it was on a black and white shot. What does this do for the picture and which different ones are used for different situations? I shoot both black and white and color so both views would be much appreciated. Thanks.

There are hundreds of different types of filters. All filters, even the expensive ones, degrade the image to some extent. My advice is to forget about filters until you learn enough to have a use for them!
  • 01-18-2005, 07:13 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

What does a filter do? I know what it is, but I was looking through a thread and someone said they used an orange filter. But it was on a black and white shot. What does this do for the picture and which different ones are used for different situations?

With black and white film filters are used to change the way different colors are recorded. The filters easily pass light of their color and and hold back light of other colors, depending on how strong the color is. An orange or red filter would make anything red or orange appear lighter in the picture and anything green or blue would be darker. They are often used to make the sky or surrounding vegetation darker to provide seperation from the subject. Clouds in a blue sky really pop in b/w if a red filter is used.
    A green filter will cause vegetation to appear light while darkening anything red in the scene.

There are a lot of other types of filters as well. Here's some info.
    http://www.photographic.com/phototechniques/101/
  • 01-18-2005, 07:19 AM
    another view
    Like Chunk says, a filter for b&w will lighten the color in the scene that the filter is and darken the complimentary color. That's why you use a red filter to get an almost black sky and really make the clouds pop out. There are tons of filters out there for color, b&w or both.

This book is a good one on the subject.
  • 01-18-2005, 03:27 PM
    kostcoguy
    Thank you everyone...you're probably right Michael, I don't think I will work with them as of yet.
  • 01-19-2005, 06:24 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

I don't think I will work with them as of yet.

If you are shooting B&W, don't be afraid to try some colored filters. You should be able to find some inexpensive used filters to try and they can have a dramatic effect on your images. If you are using in camera through the lens metering, there won't be a huge difference for you.