ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question for sports photographers: day or night?

My husband and I are trying to choose a Packer game to go to. (We like to schedule a little weekend around a Packer game each year.) So my question is, if I'm planning to bring my 75-300 f/4-5.6 IS, should I choose a noon game when the daylight is maximum (and the shadows are harsh), or is it OK to choose a 3:15 game (when the shadows are long)? I know from past experience that there's a little window of time where the light gets really bad, before they turn the "big" lights on. Or is a night game best, when it's all under bright artificial lighting?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    My husband and I are trying to choose a Packer game to go to. (We like to schedule a little weekend around a Packer game each year.) So my question is, if I'm planning to bring my 75-300 f/4-5.6 IS, should I choose a noon game when the daylight is maximum (and the shadows are harsh), or is it OK to choose a 3:15 game (when the shadows are long)? I know from past experience that there's a little window of time where the light gets really bad, before they turn the "big" lights on. Or is a night game best, when it's all under bright artificial lighting?
    When I was there for the Fire game there was no down time between the lights being on and off. 10D with an f/4 lens got very decent shutter speeds.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information