• 06-10-2004, 10:45 AM
    Sean Dempsey
    Question about Canon Battery Grip for 10D.....
    Hi!

2 questions:

- Does the battery grip have shutter buttons on both corners, or just the right side, viewed from the back? I ask because if it just has one on the right, that's the opposite direction than I usually do vertical shots.

- Will it take 2 different batteries? I have the Canon BP-511 and a generic BP-512... the Generic battery far outlasts the Canon one... I think it has a longer power rating. If I got the grip, I'd want to have 2 batteries loaded, but these are the only 2 I have... OR, will it run on just 1 battery, or are 2 required?

Thanks!!!!!
  • 06-10-2004, 11:27 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Sean, the traditional way of shooting verticals with an SLR (notice I didn't say PROPER, after all, to each his own...) is to have your right hand and arm by your forehead. In the case of a single shutter it would be at the top left side as you face forward.

The Canon battery grips assume this, and only have a second shutter on the lower right, which would end up being at the top right in the "normal" vertical camera position. Same camera position, just slightly easier on the wrist and arm...

I have no personal experience with generic batteries, but if it is the same size, I assume it would work. Of course, Canon will probably tell you differently because they want you to buy their batteries...

BTW, yes, the 10D does run on one battery, and with two, even the Canon ones, it easily runs all day (at least I haven't come close to using up both in a single shoot).