ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Thursday Night - San Francisco

Pretty cool meeting you guys up at Twin Peaks.
    1: Just my zoom shot of the city, I expect there will be more coming
    2: my self portrait of the night
    3 Proof that I was here, signed with a keychain flashlight
    4. Mean to take a shot of my car with the city but a couple came and posed without knowing it. turned out pretty cool
    5. The view behind us.

I'll post larger versions in the gallery eventually, for the darker ones it's kinda hard to discern detail I know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF Night Photo Trip-sfnight.jpg   SF Night Photo Trip-selfnightsf.jpg   SF Night Photo Trip-nightsfbswashere.jpg   SF Night Photo Trip-couplesurreal.jpg   SF Night Photo Trip-behind.jpg  

<><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Couple more after I quit following John, down the road after I made that awkward left turn.

Didnt stop at Sausalito...fog rolled in too thick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF Night Photo Trip-st-celia.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I had a great time last night. It was nice to reconnect with the PR posse. Twin Peaks was an absolute gold mine!! I'll post pics this weekend, hopefully.

Here is one that I finished. I've got a couple more. I got lucky with this shot.

This one SF looks like it was on fire. What do you guys think of this one.

That's absolutely stunning.

What settings did you use for that one?

Here's the panorama I was just finishing when John found my friend Josiah.
    9 shots at F8, 15 seconds, ISO 50 on the A510. Next time I'll go for shorter exposures, and larger aperture because the clouds moved and messed up the seams and lighting between shots, since it's a low end camera, there's a 15 or so second delay as it renders the long exposures.
    --But it gives an idea of the gorgeous view that we had.

Here's one of Photo John, I moved the camera a couple times while the shutter was open for effects.

I'll post a series of the fog rolling in too. 1 and a half hours and the visibility went from practically unlimited as demonstrated by our pictures to this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF Night Photo Trip-fog.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr Yuck; 11-03-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I thought I would take a picture of the moon. It's one of my favorite subjects.

It was a little foggy night, but I got these two.

Here's a shot before we met up. I think this is from 21st street in the Mission District. A little crooked because of the hill but I think I'll keep it.

I'm a little worried about that gap in the red streaks. :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF Night Photo Trip-sftraffic.jpg  
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Every shot was different. City's image keep change every minute, like it was posing for us. This one looks like there was a fire on the top left because of the clouds I think.

Here's another:
    F8 @ 15sec

Last edited by Mr Yuck; 11-03-2006 at 01:09 PM.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Great Night!

I hope you guys don't mind that I made your posts into a new thread. I didn't want the photos buried at the bottom of the old one.

I think this was a very successful little get-together. It was great to see Andy (snackelroy) after something link four years, and Loren's restaurant recommendation was excellent as you can see in this photo of Matt and Andy. Getting to try a new restaurant and explore a little in South San Francisco was an extra bonus. For those of you that don't know, South San Francisco is a completely separate city and actually a bit of a drive from San Francisco. But it was a good place for us to meet since it has less traffic, more parking, and it's between those of us who live in the South Bay and those who live in SF. So thanks for the restaurant suggestion , Loren!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF Night Photo Trip-_mg_4253.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Twin Peaks

It was raining all day and we decided to do it anyway. And I don't think it could have turned out any better. It stopped raining before we actually got up to Twin Peaks and it was beautiful when we got there. We had classic San Francisco fog blowing through, but with enough clear air that we could take pictures. It was awesome. I'd never been up there to take pictures and it was an inspiration. Now I want to go back at sunset, when there's no fog, sunrise, etc. This was just a teaser trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF Night Photo Trip-_mg_4270.jpg   SF Night Photo Trip-_mg_4272.jpg  
    Photo-John

Golden Gate and San Bruno Mountain

I think these two photos are the biggest scores of the night for me. San Bruno Mountain is south of the City. South San Francisco, San Bruno, and Daily City are on the other side from this photo.

After we'd been out shooting for maybe an hour, the Golden Gate Bridge made an appearance. We got so lucky last night. If we'd tried our best we couldn't have planned it any better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF Night Photo Trip-_mg_4275.jpg   SF Night Photo Trip-_mg_4285.jpg  
    Photo-John

Re: SF Night Photo Trip

Dang John. That GGB one is amazing. Obviously you had a heck of a zoom but what settings were you using?
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I must say all of these shots are beautiful! I especially like the GG Bridge one. Yowza! Heard you were doing this through Matt! These shots are great!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Looks like you all had a great experience. Thanx for sharing.

GGB Settings

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    Dang John. That GGB one is amazing. Obviously you had a heck of a zoom but what settings were you using?
    The bridge photo was taken at ISO 200, 25 seconds @ f/5.6 and the lens was at 150mm on the XTi.

There are a few masked adjustment layer son all of these to optimize balance them out to my liking. I had to massage the files a bit to get them to where they are now. I'm not sure about the color. I shot them RAW so I can go pretty much any direction I want with them. I'm thinking that the Golden Gate one is a little too red.
    Photo-John

I like the flashlight one. That's cool and it came out good. I expect you must have practiced a lot to get good enough that it's that readable.
    Photo-John

Disappearing Act

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    Couple more after I quit following John, down the road after I made that awkward left turn.
    I wondered where you disappeared to. You didn't get lost did you? Did you see I was signalling for you to turn right? I worried that maybe you misinterpreted my signal. And you disappeared so quickly I didn't even know where you'd gone.

Glad we got to meet and you made it home safe. Having a local group of photographers to hang out and shoot with is nice. Like last night, it can motivate us to do things we ordinarily never would. And I'm really glad we went up there last night. Now I'm looking forward to the next night shoot!
    Photo-John

Wow, terriffic images guys. Sorry to have missed.

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

Re: Disappearing Act

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I wondered where you disappeared to. You didn't get lost did you? Did you see I was signalling for you to turn right? I worried that maybe you misinterpreted my signal. And you disappeared so quickly I didn't even know where you'd gone.

Glad we got to meet and you made it home safe. Having a local group of photographers to hang out and shoot with is nice. Like last night, it can motivate us to do things we ordinarily never would. And I'm really glad we went up there last night. Now I'm looking forward to the next night shoot!
    Haha, I thought you were signaling for me to turn left. Oops. I did find 19th though, then saw that it said "right lane for southbound" so I got in lane #2...well lane #2 took me southbound too...so we stopped at in n out, got the gps on my laptop up and running, and got home no problem....the thing doesnt work when it's on the dash, but I remembered that it's magnetic and put it on the roof. Worked great after that. Though we lost signal when we went through a tunnel...ALMOST got lost there ;)
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Hmm a photo night out in SF and I didnt know about it! Looks like you had fun. I really like the bridge shot you have there. I would put it up on my wall.

I may have to join you next time if I can, that is if you take noobies along....hehe
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

The images from your night on the town are just gorgeous. Almost makes me want to venture back into a city one more time before I died. On second though I'll just enjoy your great pictures and stay in the country. Way to go guys.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Here are some of my faves. I was not getting the sharpness I wanted with long exposures and a flimsy tripod, so I decided to take some more abstract shots. The rest of you nailed the primo city shots better than I did, so I'm posting some slightly different takes on the scenery...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information