"punked" jailbird

Printable View

• 02-12-2005, 12:13 AM
    schrackman
    1 Attachment(s)
    "punked" jailbird
    I've been digging through some of my archives and thought you'd get a laugh out this. Looks like he's been in the slammer a bit too long and has been hanging with the wrong crowd, heehee.

Shot last summer at a bird shop in Lodi, Ca. Perhaps Paul "the Bird Nerd" O'Canon can identify it. Shouldn't be too hard for him seeing that it's obviously an exotic species. :)

Ray O'Canon
  • 02-12-2005, 12:27 AM
    jar_e
    Re: "punked" jailbird
    Wow, what a, dare I say weird, looking, yet beautiful bird! I love the huge beak and the great red hair style going on.

Great shot!

Jared
  • 02-12-2005, 05:59 AM
    paulnj
    my GUESS.... a YOUNG macaw ;)

do you know?
  • 02-12-2005, 11:29 AM
    schrackman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    my GUESS.... a YOUNG macaw ;)

do you know?

Uh oh...Paul, you were WAY off on this one. It's a Lady's Ross Touraco. Not your average bird, eh?

Go to this link and scroll down a bit: http://www.touracos.co.uk/forsale.htm

I don't care for birds as pets, but touracos do seem like PRETTY COOL birds to have. But I guess I'm just partial to birds with crests. I guess that's why I've always liked cardinals, blue jays, etc.

Ray O'Canon
  • 02-12-2005, 12:17 PM
    paulnj
    with over 5000 species of bird in the world..... you truely can't expect me to know them all .can you? that is why I said "GUESS" , as I thought is was ground bird looking, but the beak was more parrot like than anything else(though oddly bulbous and raised at base)

IF I did, I would be working at cornell labs or leading trips for W.I.N.G.S ;)

http://www.wingsbirds.com/index.php

What a strange looking bird that is(soft billed bird related to cuckoos).... I would never want that thing in my house!
  • 02-12-2005, 05:19 PM
    schrackman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    with over 5000 species of bird in the world..... you truely can't expect me to know them all, can you?

YES! lol...

Quote:

What a strange looking bird that is (soft billed bird related to cuckoos).... I would never want that thing in my house!
    I don't know about that. They have a pretty cool sound to them, kinda like what I'd expect a prehistoric bird to sound like. Parrots, finches, cockatiels--all those normal birds kept for pets--simply annoy me with their voices, but this bird has a unique sound to it. Did you check the rest of the website out and click to listen to them?

Ray O'Canon