Proposition 2

Printable View

• 01-03-2006, 06:29 PM
    photophorous
    4 Attachment(s)
    Proposition 2
    Hi Everyone. Thanks for reading. I got a flatbed scanner for Christmas. These are scanned prints I made from negatives I overdeveloped. I was supposed to dilute the developer 1:1, but didn't. A good lesson in contrast.

In other news, this was my first conscious attempt at photojournalism, so I'm posting the pictures to hear you're opinions, despite the technical issues. Don't squint too hard. I'll tell you what the signs say if your interested.

In November, Proposition 2 on the ballot in Texas was to amend the state constitution to define marriage as being between a man and a woman. Before the vote, the KKK came to town to speak on the steps of city hall, in favor of it. About 12 of them showed up, and the hundreds of police officers surrounding them, wouldn't let the crowd of thousands of protesters get past the end of the 1st St bridge. So, my photos are a bit one sided...the side that lost.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
    another view
    Re: Proposition 2
    You'll probably get more serious critiques in the Critique Forum, but I like what you were looking at with these shots. Personally I'm more of a "get in close with a wide lens" fan, but this doesn't always work and it can take nerves of steel in a situation like this where emotions are already running high.

Nothing wrong with learning something in the darkroom. You probably won't make that mistake again, have learned what really happens and know that you can still get a useable shot. Before this roll of film, none of these (probably) were the case. Congrads on the scanner!
  • 01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
    photophorous
    Re: Proposition 2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    You'll probably get more serious critiques in the Critique Forum, but I like what you were looking at with these shots. Personally I'm more of a "get in close with a wide lens" fan, but this doesn't always work and it can take nerves of steel in a situation like this where emotions are already running high.

Nothing wrong with learning something in the darkroom. You probably won't make that mistake again, have learned what really happens and know that you can still get a useable shot. Before this roll of film, none of these (probably) were the case. Congrads on the scanner!

Thanks for the comments, AV. I'd like to be able to get in closer, but I havn't yet developed those nerves of steel you speak of. I'm used to mountains and trees, who turn violent in a much more predictable manner.

I'm not really looking for a serious critique...that could get ugly. People are nicer over here in Viewfinder. :)

Paul