ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: For Liz

For Liz

Well Liz, here's my first photo, out of the box. Lots to learn. I'll post in critique when I think I've got something ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Lara

I'm not Liz but yeah! welcome to the fascinating and expensive world of photography how are you doing?
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thank you Natalie

Unless I'm on auto pilot, I'm totally confused lol. It figures, my first day to go play for a bit, it's mostly cloudy.
    Lara

Liz

Thumbs up Congratulations Lara!

Lara,
    I'm impressed. These 2 images are actually very nice. The composition is good (can't get that from "auto"), they are both sharp, the color is good, especially on the leaves. The flowers are good - maybe a bit overexposed which may come from the on-camera flash. But the color is still good - it could be a little deeper. This is NOT a critique, but I like to be honest with moderators, even if it's their first post! How did you like that for a comment! I hope you know, I'm kidding!

Seriously, Lara, you did an excellent job here. Nice camera too BTW. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Liz

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

First rule for you...NO FLASH :)

Lara,

Now you can imagine how Frodo felt as he began his quest in LOTR. Ok, I exaggerate, but this may well be the humble beginning of a great journey for you nonetheless...

If you really want to start learning how to take better photos from day one (ok, too late for that, let's say day three then), do yourself a favor and turn off the FLASH.

Unless you're using a studio setup or are simply taking snaps of family or friends (IOW the two extremes), the camera flash will do nothing but take away from your shots. Straight flash lighting is harsh, washes out ambient light and color, and leaves lousy shadows.

Yes, it's possible to use an on camera flash creatively, but it will take some time to learn. It is much better to work on that after you've learned the basics of everything else.

BTW, I couldn't help but laugh at your comment about the cloudy weather, like it was bad luck or something. Many pros and advanced amateurs much prefer overcast days. I know I do...

Bright direct sunlight is perhaps the hardest condition to shoot under...

BTW, I completely disagree with your rationale for posting in Viewfnder at first. I think you would be much better off posting your first shots in Critique. You WANT as much advice as possible. That will help you make improvements much more quickly. When you feel that you really have something good, and simply want to share with us without the need for suggestions for improvement, THAT'S when you start posting in Viewfinder...

It's tough, but you have to get over your insecurity and fear of viewer comments, or you'll never learn anything...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

LOL Liz, you are precious!! Very kind too, and your critique is right on! The photo is just okay, but not too bad for just taking the camera out of the box ha? I've got so much to learn!!
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Lara,

Now you can imagine how Frodo felt as he began his quest in LOTR. Ok, I exaggerate, but this may well be the humble beginning of a great journey for you nonetheless...

If you really want to start learning how to take better photos from day one (ok, too late for that, let's say day three then), do yourself a favor and turn off the FLASH.

Unless you're using a studio setup or are simply taking snaps of family or friends (IOW the two extremes), the camera flash will do nothing but take away from your shots. Straight flash lighting is harsh, washes out ambient light and color, and leaves lousy shadows.

Yes, it's possible to use an on camera flash creatively, but it will take some time to learn. It is much better to work on that after you've learned the basics of everything else.

BTW, I couldn't help but laugh at your comment about the cloudy weather, like it was bad luck or something. Many pros and advanced amateurs much prefer overcast days. I know I do...

Bright direct sunlight is perhaps the hardest condition to shoot under...

BTW, I completely disagree with your rationale for posting in Viewfnder at first. I think you would be much better off posting your first shots in Critique. You WANT as much advice as possible. That will help you make improvements much more quickly. When you feel that you really have something good, and simply want to share with us without the need for suggestions for improvement, THAT'S when you start posting in Viewfinder...

It's tough, but you have to get over your insecurity and fear of viewer comments, or you'll never learn anything...
    Thanks for all of your input and help Steve. I need it badly! Sebastian already informed me about cloudy days being good days to shoot photos. See, I told you I know NOTHING about photography. Just learned a couple of things already.

I will turn off the flash, I promise!

I will shoot on a cloudy day.

I will pay attention!

This photo was posted in Viewfinder cause Liz made me do it. No, I'm kidding.
    Lara

Btw...

...being the overworked DUFUS that I am sometimes, I completely forgot to mention that your pic is not a bad shot at all. In fact, it's rather nice...

I also understand completely about posting here. Simply a first shot you wanted to share with Liz and the rest of us. It's just that I think a lot of members use Viewfinder as a sort of "crutch" because the comments tend to be much warmer and fuzzier than Critique...

Personally, I think the Critique Forum is a precious gift to the developing shooter. I never had anyone (other than the short time I took classes in school) to point out what could be improved in my work when I was learning photography.

With me, it was almost all trial and error, looking at the work of others that I liked and trying to figure out why mine didn't have the same qualities or impact, then shooting again and again. Or, seeing something obviously flawed in my image and just figuring out how to correct it.

If I were a beginner today, I would be posting in Critique constantly, soaking up suggestions like a sponge. Combined with the immediate feedback of digital imaging, I know my learning would have been greatly accelerated.

The key to getting the most out of Critique (and not feeling like you're being shot down) is to find a group of honest, sensitive opinions you can trust, and rely on those to help you improve. If anyone else posts, you must simply consider the source and wear blinders to keep from being hurt...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Liz

Smile Well, Steve............I'm afraid to say this publicly....

at least I got your attention!

Men vs women (good topic to start a war...but not my intent here)

IMO, I think part of "sensitivity" to "poorly worded" ;) critiques and/or other replies to our posts, is due to the difference in feelings of women vs men. Women do for the most part get more sensitive to harsh words than men (there are exceptions of course as in everything). I know I tend to get sensitive if someone isn't sensitive to my feelings.

I've learned to let it go for the most part, but I still get that awful "why did you have to say that" feeling initially when I read some posts addressed to me. I felt that way when I posted my first homeless man (it was an awful picture technically btw, since my hands were shaking because I was nervous). In response to my first post, someone replied and said something to the effect of photographing homeless people was exploiting them.

Well, my work is taking care of homeless women with AIDS, so I really felt that one INTENSELY. I didn't post a negative reaction to the post as I recall, but I haven't photographed another poor or homeless person since. I don't know if I'll get over it - the poster obviously hit a nerve, and I do still wonder if he/she was correct.

I'm not challenging your post. Actually it was written very well, and I believe what you said. But I did want to add the above, not to prove a point, but to give some input as a woman.

Liz

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Smile Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

Right On Lara!
    Looks like you are putting that new camera to good use!!
    I also looking forward to seeing more from you!
    I certainly know you will learn a lot from here! Especially if you post in the Critique Forum!!! ;)
    GO LARA! GO LARA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    The photo is just okay, but not too bad for just taking the camera out of the box ha? I've got so much to learn!!
    You already said that you don't know much about photography. So how can you judge your own photo? Be gracious and accept the compliments you have coming. Like Steve, I actually think this is a very nice photo. Maybe it was luck and maybe not. I'm sure you have a lot to learn, but you might just have a good eye. Some people do. A nice photo is a nice photo and this one qualifies. Don't try to brush off compliments. Take them when you can get them. They're good for you

I also agree with Steve about posting on the Critique board. Start posting and asking for help right now. You'll get a lot more constructive criticism than you might expect. And since everyone already knows and loves you, you're even more likely to get a lot of friendly and useful advice.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thank you Steve. I fully intend on posting some shots. I just need a little time to get acquainted with my camera

You are absolutely right about the Critique here at PR. I've picked up a lot from reading critique of others photos. I can only imagine that receiving critique for my own photos will help tremendously. There is a wealth of knowledge and talent on this site. That's what got me interested in the first place.
    Lara

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Terrible!!

That it's taken you this long to post a picture for us LOL

I also think this is a very nice shot, like Steve and PJ said. But I'll disagree with both of them and say to stay out of critique for a while - until you've got some confidence in your shooting and are a little more comfortable with your camera! If I had gotten my first 3 shots critiqued, I probably would've crawled away into a hole somewhere and never come out No, seriously, not getting myself critiqued until a later date (years!) has allowed me to develop my own personal style without anyone interfering or persuading - or putting thoughts in my head (less exposure! more exposure! rule of thirds! faster! slower! more! less! ahhhh!)

Go buy a good book instead

To each their own.

Have fun!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thank you one and all!

John, thanks for the encouragement and the complements. You know I love you guys!

Brian, I'll do my best to catch a decent photo and post it in critique ;)

Rick, Mr. handsome samurai ;) , I have been thinking on your lines of buying a good book. Any suggestions? Peter has given me one suggestion, and I'm opened to more.

Most likely, zero experience is why I feel the insecurity, as opposed to most other members. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling others have at least experimented with a few cameras and have some knowledge. I literally have no previous experience except for a point and shoot I used years ago. Shame on me! Hubby owned a Pentax and I never touched it. It was so intimidating, I didn't dare.

Thank so much to all who have commented and encouraged. I truly gives me more confidence!
    Lara

BTW Steve, while I was in the camera shop waiting for the sales person to gather my order, another sales guy walked by and asked if I needed assistance. Wise guy me said, I was thinking of buying that Leica over there (pointing to one in the showcase.) His eyes light up like a Christmas tree! I told him I was just kidding. He pouted, then winked. lol.
    Lara

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You Tease!

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Wise guy me said, I was thinking of buying that Leica over there (pointing to one in the showcase.) His eyes light up like a Christmas tree! I told him I was just kidding. He pouted, then winked. lol.
    What a tease!
    ;) ;)

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Books for Lara, Encouragement for Liz

Lara,

Very nice first shots, and very nice african violets. I think it is great that you are taking up this new endeavor, and it looks like you have some natural talent. I don't know if you have it already or if it has been recommended to you, but I really like "The National Geographic Photography Field Guide" as an instructional/inspirational photography book. Probably the best general photography "how to" book that I have seen. John Shaw, noted nature photographer, has some very good books as well, which are a bit more technical than "Field Guide."

Liz. The fact that you spend much of your life helping people in need excludes you from that kind "exploitation" criticism. You show through your actions that you have an interest in and empathy for people who are homeless. I think that your understanding of, and caring for the subject makes you much more qualified to take such pictures than most. I hope that you take many more photographs of that subject, and perhaps you could make a "life project" of recording the lives of some of the women you know through work. I think that it would be very compelling and help bring some faces and personalities to the statistics.

In such cases, motive is everything. You have proven beyond any doubt that your motive is to help, not "exploit."

Liz

Smile Thank you !!!

Thank you very much for your encouraging comments and for taking the time to put your thoughts here. I'm glad you shared the things you did because it gave me some food for thought. Thanks for your kind words.

Liz

"Liz. The fact that you spend much of your life helping people in need excludes you from that kind "exploitation" criticism. You show through your actions that you have an interest in and empathy for people who are homeless. I think that your understanding of, and caring for the subject makes you much more qualified to take such pictures than most. I hope that you take many more photographs of that subject, and perhaps you could make a "life project" of recording the lives of some of the women you know through work. I think that it would be very compelling and help bring some faces and personalities to the statistics.

In such cases, motive is everything. You have proven beyond any doubt that your motive is to help, not "exploit"

Good points, Liz...

No, Liz, I don't think your comments will start a war here, but you bring up some points I never really considered...

Maybe it's because I'm fairly gender-blind, or perhaps more because I've known some very strong women (and some very sensitive men), but it didn't occur to me that women as a whole might be more susceptible to harsh criticism.

I always thought of that as an individual personality type of thing, not something that was gender specific. You see, I'm used to dealing with learning photography in either an acedemic or a commercial (real world) environment, and believe me, in both of those arenas, many women are every bit as strong, tough, and as thick-skinned as men.

Sometimes I have to be reminded that many of the members here may, for whatever reason, be quite insecure about their creative talents, or may have had a lifetime of being told they are not good enough in one way or another, and the reality of our society is that these people are more likely to be women...

That can be a tough thing to overcome, especially when some of the remarks here are rather blunt and one may not be used to dealing with them.

Still, I stand by my previous advice. If you want to show your work on an interent based site that is accessible worldwide, you have to expect and be able to deal with people saying insensitive things about you from time to time, even if it means just tuning them out.

Trust me, the good here will always far outweigh the bad...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thank you Acadia

Thank you for the inspiring post! It's very much appreciated. I'll check into the books you mentioned as well!
    Lara

Hey Liz...

When I had PC problems last week I lost my address book. Can you PM me with your email address again? Thanks...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Lara, good for you for posting a shot. I guess my advice would also be to keep posting in Critique. It's also helpful for us doing a critique to tell us what you're looking for - as in "does the shallow depth of field work?" or "was the shutter speed too fast in this action shot?", etc. Get a book or two and try what the book teaches you. When you feel comfortable with a technique, post it and see if everyone else sees it like you do. Of course, this is all opinion and you won't always agree with everyone...

BTW, the National Geographic Field Guide is a good book. It's also been sitting on my shelf for awhile. If you want it, send me a PM and I'll mail it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Lara, good for you for posting a shot. I guess my advice would also be to keep posting in Critique. It's also helpful for us doing a critique to tell us what you're looking for - as in "does the shallow depth of field work?" or "was the shutter speed too fast in this action shot?", etc. Get a book or two and try what the book teaches you. When you feel comfortable with a technique, post it and see if everyone else sees it like you do. Of course, this is all opinion and you won't always agree with everyone...

BTW, the National Geographic Field Guide is a good book. It's also been sitting on my shelf for awhile. If you want it, send me a PM and I'll mail it to you.
    Thank you Steve. Once I've got a bunch of shots under my belt, I will post in Critique. I won't get to shoot nearly as often as I would like, but I'm doing the best I can I'm really overwhelmed by the generosity of PR members, you included! I'll be picking up a couple of books as soon as I figure out what's best for me.

Thanks again,
    Lara
    Lara

Thread Information