ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Pro glass.

learning member

Pro glass.

On Monday, I recieved a Tokina 80- 200 f 2.8 pro zoom that I purchased used from kEH.
    It appears to be sharper than my 50mm f1.8 nikon. There may be a focus problem with the 50mm test shots, however I am so impressed with the pro zoom that I ordered a Tokina 28-80 pro.
    My impression of the test pic's is WOW! Hope to post some pics soon.
    Mark.
    BTW, I have the 12-24 Tokina also, so this will give me a total range of 12-200 with a small skip from 24-28mm not covered.

Re: Pro glass.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    I am so impressed with the pro zoom that I ordered a Tokina 28-80 pro
    Very sharp, under-rated lens. I got a used one last year to replace my 28-105 Nikon, and it's a huge improvement over an already pretty good lens. Sure, it's a more expensive lens but less than half the price (almost a third) of the Nikon 28-70 f2.8. Their 12-24 looks like it might be a copy of Nikon's lens which I know is great. I read somewhere (but have no idea if it's true) that the company was founded by former Nikon lens engineers.

If you see an obvious difference between the 50 and the 80-200, try taking a shot with both at about f5.6. Lenses usually aren't at their sharpest wide open so this is probably a more fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    BTW, I have the 12-24 Tokina also, so this will give me a total range of 12-200 with a small skip from 24-28mm not covered.

95% of my shots fall in the 24-28mm range! How do you manage?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

learning member

If you see an obvious difference between the 50 and the 80-200, try taking a shot with both at about f5.6. Lenses usually aren't at their sharpest wide open so this is probably a more fair comparison.[/QUOTE]

Thanks A V, The 50 wasn't focused properly. At f1.8 its sharper than the 80-200 at any aperture. The zoom is still pretty sharp, but I have noticed some purple fringing. I'll post a pic in the help thread.
    Mark.

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    95% of my shots fall in the 24-28mm range! How do you manage?

95% of my shots are Tequila, through trial and error I have learned to leave the camera alone. Heck, I just like to buy stuff! ;)
    I promise I'll take a picture of something one of these days .
    Mark.

Thread Information