ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: First Raw..

First Raw..

Well today i finally took the plunge in to Raw . Its a lot different from working with .jpg files , Think it can be time consuming as well as time saving with its batch conversion`s but im not sure because this is totally new for me.
    Was reading the manual for my new D50 when i got to the section about Raw so i had to try it . Heres the output from my first attempt at using Raw.
    Keep in mind that this is handheld from about 10 feet away because i opted for a 70-300 mm lense instead of the 18-55mm kit lense. So what im really looking for is some pointers on what to do and what not to do with Raw .

Any help would be appreciated Oh and im using Picture Project and CS2 and have a copy of Rawshooter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Raw..-violet-first-raw-web1.jpg  
    Last edited by Knight; 04-30-2006 at 06:46 PM.
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: First Raw..

Hey Glenn,

RAW is a wonderful thing once you get the workflow down. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but I have found that I spend less time post processing now than when I was shooting jpegs. All I use is the RAW converter in CS2. The biggest advantages for shooting RAW for me is the ability to adjust WB and the exposure.

I don't know what you have for a computer set up, but lots of storage, and lots of RAM are something you will want if you keep shooting RAW!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

"So what im really looking for is some pointers on what to do and what not to do with Raw"

Well, RAW is just a format that stores more info than JPG, and it does so without losing as much information. There are things that RAW allows you to do afterwards that other formats don't. For example, you can adjust white balance afterward, and you can recover more shadow and highlight detail. Those things give you the ability to layer multiple exposures using the same file, for example. Ultimately, if you want the highest quality and ability to modify in the future, you shoot RAW, but for most everyday use JPG is more than adequate.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Question Re: First Raw..

Hi Guys,

I too shot today in RAW for the first time, and although I can see them and play in PS Elements 4, I can't seem to open them up in Photshop CS ???

I see there is a plug in, I chose it, but nothing seemed to happen... How woudl I open them in CS ??

I am using a Olympus E300 if that is any help.

Regards,

Atlas
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Olympus E300

Our Photos : http://atlas906.photos.gb.net/

Thanks for the info guys Atlas take a look at this page . http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html Hope this helps you .
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Question Re: First Raw..

Hi Knight,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried loading the new plugin, but am now getting the following message :

Could not complete request because this version of photoshop does not supply the services required by this plug in module

When I click on the file I can actually seee the photo, but when I hit ok to open then the above message appears...

NOTHING, I repeat, nothing, is ever simple is it !!
    Regards,

Atlas
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Olympus E300

Atlas the plugin has to be in a particular directory in CS. When you download it from Adobe site it tells you which path to put the plugin in. When you copy the files over make sure you copy all the files from the shoot to a directory even the thm files which are the thumb files to display the image in directory browsing.

Also check your email.

The reason is you are using probably version 3.3 and need something like version 3.0 instead, but your camera might not be supported as it is relatively new. From version 3.1 upwards that is only compatible with CS2. Get hold of Pixmantec Rawshooter Essentials it is free at http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp

The Raw version for CS is found on this page http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows look for version 2.4

Smile Re: First Raw..

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. Camer raw 3.1 has my camera, but as you say may only work in CS2...

Rawshooter appears to be similar to Essentials 4 ? I can see the photos and adjust in essentials, but was hoping to do it in CS as well.

Will look into them
    Regards,

Atlas
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Olympus E300

Thread Information