ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

In the Presence of a Living Legend

This is sort of sports, sort of people photography. For me this was a really cool shoot for a lot of reasons. I thought I would share some images.

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of photographing a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seminar taught by a living legend in the sport, Master Flavio Behring. As a child and young adult he studied and taught under the originator of the art, Helio Gracie. At 72 years old Master Flavio is now a 9th degree red belt and one of the top ranking Masters alive today. He moves with such balance and power that it inspired me to try Jiu Jitsu myself. His stories and methods are fantastic. He is the real deal.

All of these were shot at ISO 8000 in ambient light (a mix of overhead gym lights and a large window with daytime sunlight). Along with the red, yellow and white walls it makes for some very challenging light at this gym.

What do you guys think?

#7 The Masters learning from the Master. Many stories told in the instructor seminar. Very cool to see and hear this stuff.

n8

Re: In the Presence of a Living Legend

I can imagine how cool that was for you. I think #3 is just shy of being my favorite. I wish the guy in submission was in more pain. The master looks like he's just hanging out there...would have made for a humorous shot.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Re: In the Presence of a Living Legend

Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    I can imagine how cool that was for you. I think #3 is just shy of being my favorite. I wish the guy in submission was in more pain. The master looks like he's just hanging out there...would have made for a humorous shot.
    I think he was telling a story at that point, it is one of my favorites because everyone is smiling.

Thread Information