• 07-20-2004, 10:55 AM
    opus
    1 Attachment(s)
    Post your bird pictures here ...
    ... while I sit on this ledge and look them over ...


    Bwaahahahaha!
  • 07-20-2004, 11:01 AM
    Sebastian
  • 07-20-2004, 11:39 AM
    Lara
    1 Attachment(s)
    domesticated bird
    LOL funny looking bird Seb.

    Kelly, did you see Finding Nemo? All I can think of when looking at your photo is "mine mine mine."
    Ya have to have seen the movie to get the humor of it. :D

    I'm amazed I could get a shot of this little brat. He never stays still.
  • 07-20-2004, 03:03 PM
    adina
    can it be "the bird" as opposed to a bird? I don't have any of a bird. :)

    adina
  • 07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
    Lara
    Kelly, tell Adina no no!! She has to go outside and find a birdie to photograph. :p
  • 07-20-2004, 04:07 PM
    opus
    Well, I'm in favor of her posting a picture of that one, specific, meaningful bird in her life ... the one so special that she acknowledges no others, therefore referring to it as "The" Bird ...

    ;)
  • 07-20-2004, 04:20 PM
    Liz
    2 Attachment(s)
    This is for the birds....
    so here are 2 shots
    The hawk in the tree was a grab shot. I glanced out my bedroom window and saw this hawk in the holly tree outside. I grabbed my camera, put on the 200mm lens - and pulled the screen up ever so slowly. It's a bit soft - my hands were shaking, not to mention that Molly the cat was fighting me the whole time trying to jump into the open window. But it was fun

    The hawk on the (dirty) pole showed up as I was shooting (with the 200mm) a clock tower. Not too bad for all the cropping - he/she was so far away and it was handheld (leaned against a pole) and I was freezing.
  • 07-20-2004, 04:27 PM
    Liz
    Now Sebastian's post
    somehow makes me think it's okay to post whatever you conception of a bird is, Adina. :rolleyes:

    Since VF is such a nice, friendly, cool place......and you are so cool, Adina, my vote is yes. :p

    Liz
  • 07-20-2004, 04:30 PM
    Liz
    What a sweet parakeet........
    Hi Lara,
    Sweet little parakeet. When I was a little girl (100 years ago) we had a parakeet named "Susie" and she was so friendly. She was blue. I didn't realize she was on my shoulder one day and walked outside.......well the rest is history.

    Do you have any other pets?

    Nice to see you posting pictures, Lara. I love it! Nice photo btw. :D

    Liz

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lara
    LOL funny looking bird Seb.

    Kelly, did you see Finding Nemo? All I can think of when looking at your photo is "mine mine mine."
    Ya have to have seen the movie to get the humor of it. :D

    I'm amazed I could get a shot of this little brat. He never stays still.

  • 07-20-2004, 04:33 PM
    Liz
    Nice thread Kelly.....
    Nice clean shot too. Were you close to him/her or did you crop this. It's sharp - nice color. I enjoy viewing birds a lot. But they're hard to capture. :rolleyes:

    Liz

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kellybean
    ... while I sit on this ledge and look them over ...


    Bwaahahahaha!

  • 07-20-2004, 04:38 PM
    Liz
    A bird's view
    of a turtle? :p

    Liz

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sebastian

  • 07-20-2004, 04:45 PM
    Lara
    Thanks Liz...Max the parakeet (actually budgie), is my only pet. I figured Paul would get me on that one so I had better correct myself :)
    He was in motion when I shot that photo, and shooting between the bars of the cage, it's not a good shot, but better than nothin :)
    I especially like your hawk photo. Very pretty Liz.

    I would love a cat, but allergies, so no kitty. :(

    ...and I still say no no to Adina flipping the bird LOL.
    I'm waiting to hear Seb's take on the turtle bird :D
  • 07-20-2004, 05:58 PM
    kkraczek
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lara
    LOL funny looking bird Seb.

    Kelly, did you see Finding Nemo? All I can think of when looking at your photo is "mine mine mine."
    Ya have to have seen the movie to get the humor of it. :D

    I'm amazed I could get a shot of this little brat. He never stays still.

    What's even funnier is that I actually thought that those birds might have been "myna" birds (get it- mine mine mine hahaha) THIS is what a myna bird really looks like! :D
  • 07-20-2004, 06:12 PM
    Liz
    I love that movie.......
    Nice shot of the myna bird. I love his/her pose - looks deep in thought....

    Don't myna birds talk too? :confused:

    Liz

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kkraczek
    What's even funnier is that I actually thought that those birds might have been "myna" birds (get it- mine mine mine hahaha) THIS is what a myna bird really looks like! :D

  • 07-20-2004, 06:21 PM
    Hodgy
    Here's a grab from St.Lucia
  • 07-20-2004, 06:22 PM
    Hodgy
    And here's one through my livingroom window.
  • 07-20-2004, 06:38 PM
    kkraczek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Liz
    Nice shot of the myna bird. I love his/her pose - looks deep in thought....

    Don't myna birds talk too? :confused:

    Liz


    Yes, I believe they do... they are the ones that people keep as pets, although I'd never seen one before this particular vacation. :)
  • 07-20-2004, 09:37 PM
    opus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Liz
    Nice clean shot too. Were you close to him/her or did you crop this. It's sharp - nice color. I enjoy viewing birds a lot. But they're hard to capture. :rolleyes:

    Liz

    I did not crop this. I was at Sea World San Diego, top row of the sea lion show, and after the show all these birds started swooping around. One landed on top of the sound booth (or whatever it is) so I just looked up and shot it. I did some basic adjustments in psp to brighten it just a tad.

    I *did* see Finding Nemo! I love that movie. Yeah, this bird does remind me of the movie. I think he has a lot of personality, and the perspective makes him imposing. "Mine mine mine mine!"

    I like the hawk outside your window. So cool that you got such a good shot under the circumstances.

    And the parakeet reminds me of the one we had when I was young. Ours lived at least 13 years, if not more. Feisty little thing!

    Thanks for your comments!
    ~Kelly
  • 07-20-2004, 10:18 PM
    cush
    1 Attachment(s)
    Boston Public Garden 7/17/04
    Swan & Swan Boat
  • 07-21-2004, 07:13 AM
    Sebastian
    Uhm...if I squint it looks like it has wings...

    Ah forget it.
  • 07-21-2004, 07:35 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by adina
    can it be "the bird" as opposed to a bird? I don't have any of a bird. :)

    adina

    Do you have a feathered hat?? :D
  • 07-21-2004, 07:43 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kellybean
    ... while I sit on this ledge and look them over ...


    Bwaahahahaha!

    Here are some birds in a natural setting from a Photo Project
    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/ph...es/natural.asp
  • 07-21-2004, 02:36 PM
    pnd1
    A gull in context
    Hi, Kelly,

    When I photograph birds I try to put them into a context that says more about them than just what they look like. I was on the deck of a cruise ship, sailing just off the coat of the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia's far east, working with the golden light of a setting sun. A gull was flying alongside, moving at the same speed as the ship. It was probably looking for a cheap meal. By relating this gull to the context offered by the light, the clouds, and the mountains, I was able to say a bit more than if I had just photographed this bird by itself.

    Here's the shot: http://www.pbase.com/image/20824205/large
  • 07-21-2004, 11:12 PM
    opus
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chunk
    Here are some birds in a natural setting from a Photo Project
    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/ph...es/natural.asp

    Chunk, your picture reminded me of one I took in Paris. It's not a good picture but I loved how the birds were each sitting on a step.
  • 07-22-2004, 05:19 AM
    Chunk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kellybean
    Chunk, your picture reminded me of one I took in Paris. It's not a good picture but I loved how the birds were each sitting on a step.

    I think that's a great shot, better than many well lit perfectly exposed and perfectly composed shots of paris that I've seen.
    Since you seem to be into gulls - have you read "Jonathon Livingston Seagull"? As a young sailor with more liberty time than money, I enjoyed many hours of gull watching. Wish I'd been into photography then.