• 12-15-2008, 01:15 PM
    PRB
    Re: Post your b&w images - digital or film....
    Do you see the feet and the legs here or is it just my imagination?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/...c423d1a4_o.jpg
  • 12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
    Frog
    1 Attachment(s)
    Worked on this quite a while but never quite got it. Still better than the color image.
  • 12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
    jorgemonkey
  • 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM
    photon00b
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/...2aeca955_o.jpg

cool looking palm tree in Shell Point, Fl
  • 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM
    Wild Wassa
    This image was shot in black and white. All of the images in the 'I Want to be a Cowboy' series have been shot in b/w.

The original b/w image has been post processed to several stages so far.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...sa/COWS804.png

My original intention was to convert the image into something similar to one of the early historical photographic processes, common at a time that I think of as being, the heady days of Cowboyism. So far all I've done to the original image (above) is; flatten the contrast, soften the sharpness and layer in a graduated milky tone.

Originally I wanted to make something similar to a Calotype, Cyanotype or a Tintype ... but have changed my mind.

Historically hand colouring was really popular at a time of the genre called 'Photoposie'. Where photography and poetry were combined.

So I have made three b/w dupes into the RBG layers. Then disturbed the individua RBG layers and added a grunge layer after combining the 3 layers, to look like a damaged Autochrome Lumiere ... the old 3 plate, potatoe and lamp black process.

Please view this image as a hand coloured black and white.

'I Want to be a Cowboy VIII'
    I want to be a cowboy ... but my Autochromes are scratched, the Shellac wont fix and the plates are covered in bull dust.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...boyVIII804.png

Warren.
  • 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM
    Canuck935
    1 Attachment(s)
    Time for another resurrection!

Again, Ilford HP5..
  • 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM
    Frog
    1 Attachment(s)
    I almost stuck this in critique but I have several others so didn't want to crowd that forum.
    This was almost b/w without adjustments.
  • 12-19-2008, 04:57 PM
    Frog
    1 Attachment(s)
    Another graveyard shot
  • 12-19-2008, 06:00 PM
    Pink Dragonfly
    Frog, I can really understand why you like this place :) The top one is much my favourite (also over Catherine), I love the way the tombstones tilt at all angles, just like trees behind! The composition is super :thumbsup: . Oh, I also love all the different grey shades of the tombstones. I like an awful lot about this photo :) :) And the snow, of course...

Looking forward to some more photos from this great location!

Mette
  • 12-20-2008, 01:32 AM
    Frog
    People are going to get bored before I'm done posting grave shots, Susan but glad you like them so far.
  • 12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
    Wild Wassa
    'Young Siegfried with Rainbows' . A new addition to the Gods and Heroes series.

Young Siegfried who slayed the dragon divides up the Nibelungen treasure, the hoard of golden rainbows. This treasure will return to the worms just like in the tales of young Siegfried.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...shermanIII.png

The next photo in the series I wont post. There is no point. The shot shows (or actually doesn't show) young Siegfried wearing the cloak of invisibility that he stole from the dwarf who was the treasurer of the Nibelungen hoard ... the next shot is just your average boring empty fish farm fish tank.

The Gods and Heroes series, is about people getting on with their lives and these people are no less extraordinary that Gods and Heros.

Warren.
  • 12-20-2008, 01:23 PM
    Frog
    Would he show if you did an infrared when he had on the invisibility cloak?

Never was into the fantasy stuff but glad you said basically that the everyday folk are no less extraordinary. Wait! If we are all extraordianry does that mean its ordinary to be extraordinary?
    Despite all that I think b/w works very well for this photo and can tell it would lose in color.
  • 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Would he show if you did an infrared when he had on the invisibility cloak?
    No, because dwarves and dragons can see into the infrared and they can't see him.
  • 12-20-2008, 02:23 PM
    Wild Wassa
    " ... b/w works very well for this photo and can tell it would lose in color."

Frog, that is exactly how I feel ... but the image lost considerable detail just going through Photobucket. The shoulder is burnt out.

If one wants to photograph young Siegfried under the cloak of invisibility when he is in the fish tank or else where, it would require Schlieren photography.

The Schlieren technique uses light from a single collimated source shining on, or from behind an object. Variations in refractive index caused by density gradients in the fluid and air distort the light beam. This distortion creates a spatial variation in the intensity of the light, which can be visualised directly with a shadowgraph system.

Now we are into 'Shadow People'. Shadow People is an illusion called Pareidolia (amongst other terms). Wikipedia has a good section on Shadow People. This would make a good theme for a black and white series.

Warren
  • 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
    Alison
    WOW! These are wonderful!
  • 12-21-2008, 08:06 AM
    Xia_Ke
    2 Attachment(s)
    You'll have to excuse the lines in the middle on these, my scanner is on the fritz :(
  • 12-21-2008, 08:39 AM
    Liz
    Aaron - these are both excellent b&w photos. B&W really worked wonders with such a simple subject with that last one - it's composed very well too. Great job! The lighting is perfect. :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 12-21-2008, 10:39 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks Liz :) The lamp shot I did as an exercise trying to really get used to spot metering. The lighthouse shoot was jst a complete screw up. Forgot my meter and got there at sunrise and totally had forgot the fact that sunrise is directly behind it so the lighting was crap. I'll be going back at some point to hit that one at sunset :)
  • 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM
    Frog
    love the lamp shop, Aaron.
  • 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks Frog :)
  • 12-21-2008, 01:52 PM
    starriderrick
    1 Attachment(s)
    I love B & W and although I'm not a pro at film here is one I liked (digital)
  • 12-21-2008, 05:51 PM
    freygr
    1 Attachment(s)
    I like this photo even that I cut off the cross. This was taken in 1972 or earlier. The church is still there.
  • 12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
    Loupey
    1 Attachment(s)
    Found another one to convert.

Figured a blackbird might be appropriate in B&W :)

Shot at the Smithsonian.
  • 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
    starriderrick
    1 Attachment(s)
    Loupey,
    That SR-71 shot is radical.

Here is a B/W of my favorite muscle car of the 60's.The Ultra rare 427 MERCURY Comet.

I just couldn't leave that cone alone....:p

Rick
  • 12-22-2008, 08:34 PM
    Ballen Photo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starriderrick
    Loupey,
    That SR-71 shot is radical.

Agreed.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starriderrick
    Here is a B/W of my favorite muscle car of the 60's.The Ultra rare 427 MERCURY Comet.

That had to be Mercury's cousin to Fords T Bolt? Would like to see the whole car sometime. :)
    -Bruce