ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Post #800 - Mountains and Philosophy

What good timing - I get to run on about my latest philosophical clarity, post pictures and mark it all with my 800th post!

Okay, first the Story:
    I was reading a book on eels. Yes, the kind that swim in the water. It was a children's book, checked out of the local library by a friend of mine for her daughter (who bless her heart at 7 years of age likes to check out books on eels and Queen Elizabeth I ) and it wasn't particularly interesting. I was dismayed to find the Shrieking Eels weren't in it (inconceivable!) but I was struck by a line in the Electric Eels part that began my philosophical exploration. It was explaining how electric eels have special organs along the sides of their bodies that produce this incredible electric charge. They apparently can stun a human or other large animal. It went on to say that the eels were able to amplify their electricity through these organs and then it made the statement that has been on my mind ever since: "All animals have an electric field."

Now that statement may not mean a whole lot to many of you, in which case I encourage you to skip ahead to my pictures and then reply with a post along such lines as "lovely pictures old chap but I have no idea what you're talking about." I would be very appreciative of that. But to know me in depth is to know that I have a fascination with the supernatural, metaphysical world; as seen through the eyes of science. Let's say that I have experienced some pretty far out "shtuff" in my life and I'll spare the details but let's say for the sake of relevance that it has left me with the strong desire to prove what I've experienced through science. To make these "spiritual" phenomenon more tangible and able to be reproduced in a scientific manner.

Hang with me here.

So I pick up this book about eels written for children and it says "all animals have an electric field" and I am shocked (!). My mind immediately begins to draw connections; "all animals have an electric field, which means that humans have an electric field too. Can some people see this field? Is that what an "aura" is? Is that what a "halo" is? Is the electric field around a person's head what the biblical painters were depicting in their representations of Jesus? Is it possible to be sensitive enough to this "field" that you can sense it? Feel it? Interact with it? This might explain quite a bit of our human phenomenon. How can you "sense" when someone's in the room? Can you "feel" the electric field of this person interacting with yours? Does that help explain why touching another is so important? Why a hug feels so good? Are we really interacting just as physical beings, or is there an "energy" component to us, as well?" My mind went on with these thoughts for some time.

Fast forward to: today.

I am driving up through the Shehandoah Valley, having spent a great weekend in the mountains (see photos) and feeling very calm, relaxed, and centered (as evidenced by the fact that I was doing the speed limit ) As I drive up the valley on this beautiful day I see the mountains off in the distance, these grand peaks called the Applachians and more specifically, the Blue Ridge Mountains. I marvel at these peaks and they bring to me a smile. I wonder: what is it about mounatins? We love them, are attracted to them. Why? I remember my reading of the eel book: I remember that we all have an electric "charge." I think to myself: is it due in part to the physical makeup of the rocks? Do they "excite" us in some way? Is there a particular interaction between our electricity and the granite and other minerals? Does it "ground" us?! I wonder this as I drive up I81 toward northern Virginia and traffic and shopping hell...

"We are electric. We are electric."

Okay... enough waxing philosophic here are my pictures of the "grounding" Blue Ridge Mountains retouched to look as I remember them and also the lovely waterfall that I hiked to.

I wander what effect the effect of water is on our fields...

Ah, for another rambling post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post #800 - Mountains and Philosophy-blue-ridge1.jpg   Post #800 - Mountains and Philosophy-icecycles2.jpg   Post #800 - Mountains and Philosophy-waterfall1.jpg   Post #800 - Mountains and Philosophy-waterfall3.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Post #800 - Mountains and Philosophy

And what about the phenomenon of "chemistry" between people? Is that an electrical phenomenon? I once worked with a man I had absolutely no attraction to. But I knew whenever he walked into the room because my body reacted very strongly. It baffled and bothered me. I came to the conclusion that whatever was happening was purely triggered by the interaction of physical forces, chemical or electrical, between us.

What about that massage ... is it tai chi? ... where someone works on the "energy fields" of another person? I've never experienced it, but I've heard enough of a testimonial from someone to believe there's something to it.

Of course, are you sure that the statement in the book on eels was completely scientific, and not the author's opinion?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

lovely pictures old chap but I have no idea what you're talking about....

there's one in every bunch...good thought s you had going there...I might even agree with you on some of them... ;) (gasp)

Kelly---I think that's Reiki ;)

These are some of your best I think...ansolutely breathtaking first shot and awesome perspective on the icicles... and the rest are very Rick and how you see things...well done.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Nice shots, Rick. Let me finish my coffee and I'll be back...

Hey Kelly

I think that's a great thought about "chemistry." I guess certain people's fields blend better than others? (here we thought it was chemistry and actually it was electricity ) I've had Reikki done to me before as well as other types of energy work. I've even done it on someone else. I think that is what the practitioner is doing, although perhaps unknowingly: working within the person's electric field? Alas, who knows? It certainly brings a sense of peace to the receptor but actual, physical healing? Again, who knows?

"Of course, are you sure that the statement in the book on eels was completely scientific, and not the author's opinion?"

Now, that's a very good question Kelly. As someone with a scientific mind I have to remain open to the possibility that it is his opinion. But I think that this information could be readily verified if I looked.

Thanks for responding!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Hey Nat,

'Lovely pictures old chap but I have no idea what you're talking about.... "

Thank goodness I knew someone would take me up that I'm just glad it was you

"good thought s you had going there...I might even agree with you on some of them... ;) (gasp)"

Oh yeah? Care to elaborate?

"and the rest are very Rick and how you see things..."

Thank you for the compliments Natalie! You know, sometimes I get the feeling that you kow my style better than anyone else. I'll say this: I think you know my style better than *I* do! I certainly don't see the consistencies in my work the way you do.

I thank you!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Talking Ah, for another rambling post :)

Indeed. Your philosophical ramblings are intriguing to say the least. They are also entertaining, and, dare I say, provide us an insight into your psyche? :-O

Want my "Cliff Notes" analysis? You needed to get away, and you did. ;-)

Good for you.

I believe in brevity. ;-)

Great photo's dude. I really like the first and second one. Share more of them with us!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Ah, for another rambling post :)

Brevity? What's that?

Alas, I agree, I needed to get away.

And now that I'm back, I feel the need to get away again

Does this seem like a vicious circle?

Rick (there that was short )
    Walter Rick Long

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Well you can look to Kirlian photography as well, I'd ignore the metaphysical stuff and the "consultations", or clinical diagnoses, or psychic abilities, or the alternative therapies offered

If you don't want to build your own: http://www.kirlian.org/kirlian_camera.htm
    The Sceptics Dictionary has an opposite view: http://skepdic.com/kirlian.html

The principle of Kirlian photography, as well as all electrography, is the corona discharge phenomenon, that takes place when an electrically grounded object discharges sparks between itself and an electrode generating the electrical field. When these sparks are captured on film they give the appearance of coronas of light. These discharges can be affected by temperature, moisture, pressure, or other environmental factors. Several Kirlian techniques have been developed, but the basic ones generally employ a Tesla coil connected to a metal plate. The process is similar to the one which occurs in nature, when electrical conditions in the atmosphere produce luminescences, auras, such as St. Elmo's fire.

Don't forget when you're talking about people interacting to consider pheremones.
    Subtle, you can't smell them, but they may have an affect on your perception.

Howard Hughes Medical Institute: http://www.hhmi.org/senses/d210.html
    Humans are "the hardest of all" mammals to work with, yet some studies suggest that humans may also respond to some chemical signals from other people.
    Unlike rats and mice, it's not yet been shown that a vomeronasal organ (VNO) definitely exists in humans. If the accessory olfactory system functions in humans as it does in rodents, bypassing the cerebral cortex, there is likely to be no conscious awareness of it at all.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Mamiya Man

all living beings have an electrical field, all living beings use electricity to function. when you are put on a heart monitor and have the pads on you it is sensing the electricity, the heart monitor is acting like a high tech oscilliscope, your brain functions by using electrical force, the heart beats by electrical impulses that contract the heart and the nerves in your body not only communicate chemically but with electric energy. Adding to this is the theory that all beings whether living or not give off gravity. in smaller objects such as ourselves we can't measure it but in planets, astroids and other cosmic matter visibly exhibit it. Gravity not only can attact things such as people being attracted to the ground, the sun attracting space junk, black holes attracting anything close enough to get pulled in it but gravity can actually bend light. I was doing some reading by steven hawkins and some other people. Now who can answer this. "what is light". not what it does, how you can make it but what is it actually. It exhibits traits of a particle and a wave. but who can answer what it actually is and is it of the 3 dimensions we can physically see or on of the other many dimensions?

As schlocky as John Denver could be, he was on to something with "Rocky Mountain High," a song about spiritual rebirth. I've had that feeling a few times in the mountains near Keystone, Colorado. Perhaps it's the thin, cold, air, but you get a sense of scale and your tiny place in the unviverse. Funny, though, I haven't had that feeling in the Applachians.

Hey Wombat

That's an interesting explanation you linked to for Kirlian photography. It claims that the "glow" is actually ionized gas, and that the object must be wet in order to work. I thought - and I am no expert at this - that inanimate objects also showed the "glow" of Kirlian photography. Like quarters, watches and other inanimates that come with contact with us for long periods of time and then bear our "electric charge" for a time afterward. I also am not certain that the "phantom limb" phenomena are as easily explained away as they suggest. But, that was a really informative site and I thank you for linking it!

I was under the belief that pheromones were no longer a disputed phenomenon. I thought I had learned them in college at one point. Oh, well, I seem to react to pheromones or something that women give off when they're in a certain part of their reproductive cycle I just always attributed it to pheromones

Thanks for all the great info!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Hey Mamiya

These are great questions. I love reading about Steven Hawkings and Carl Sagan, et al!

What is light? I learned it is an entity that displays the dualistic nature of sometimes particle, sometimes energy. I can't wait for science to explore it further.

And then there's all the fun games you can play with light. And its relationship to "time."

If you were to stand on a planet 2008 light years away and point a pretty large telescope at earth, you would see the birth of Jesus (Jesus was born in 4 BC)

When you look up at the stars at night, you are not seeing them as they are now. You are seeing them as they were x million years ago! Right now they could be doing the macarena with a hop skirt and a six pack of Bud but we won't find out about till the light from that star hits earth in another x million years!

When you look up at the sun, it's actually not quite there. BY the time the sunlight travels to earth and hits your eye, the sun has moved slightly and is not quite in the location that you're seeing it.

The same trickery holds true for everything around you. If a fly flies infront of your computer screen, in order for your mind to recognize it the light reflecting off the fly must travel to your eye, get converted into an electrical impulse which must travel to your brain, be recognized as "ah! shoo fly!" reach into your mind for "proper fly recognition response," send an electrical signal down your spine and out to your muscles, which respond but wacking your monitor onto the floor - while the fly has since flown lazily away.

That's the long-winded way of saying that everything you see and hear has already happened. The energy from that occurance is just now getting to your brain. That's why they say "trust your gut!" Your intuition is timeless, doesn't operate on sense of movent or energy, it is truly "real time" in the real-world sense. Going with your gut or your instinct when trying to accomplish something physical may lend better results than relying on your time-delay senses!

I hadn't heard the theory that everything has gravity. I for one don't understand fully what gravity is. I don't think science really understands it either. It's just been around for so long that we've skipped right over to look at "covalent bonds" and other forces at work at the molecular (?) level and haven't really looked at what causes gravity. I could be malinformed in this.

Alas! I heard a "metaphysical astronomer" say once: a group of scientists were on the brink of making the largest discovery known to human kind, about to finally unlock the secrets to life. And as they scaled the rocky slopes of discovery and pulled themselves atop the Mount Everest of Ultimate Knowledge - they found a group of wisemen who had been sitting there for ages

Thanks.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

I'm glad to see you're getting some good, thoughtful responses, walterick. You were brave to put this out there and ask for responses. And sometimes you can't be breve about it. ;)

I really enjoy reading good, long philosophical thoughts. Not many people appreciate such ramblings, so I'll take them where I can.

Thanks Kelly

I was not thinking this would turn into a discussion but I am thankful for all the responses

I was brave in posting this - I guess, but my knees are still knocking!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

He'd be a poor man, if never saw an eagle fly

I can relate to Denver's enthusiasm for nature, and partucularly the mountains, it seems. Look at the way he sings "Rocky Mountain High" versus the way he sings "West Virginia, mountain momma..." excitement versus serenity? I agree with you a hundred percent the mountains of the east are not nearly as impactful mentally and spiritually as the mountains of the west. The Rockys simply knock me on my ass, the Sierras have a"lonesome" beauty to me that seems inapproachable, scarey almost. I wouldn't sing any songs about them, that's for sure. The Applachians of the east are older, (older than the creek) flatter, more grave. I feel calm and serene in them. I wouldn't change one set of mountains for the other, but I woudn't find that sense of "calm" out west as I do here. When I was there, I missed "here." When I am here, I miss there

Thanks,
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Mamiya Man

not quite sure where I read this but there was an experiment. If you take a box and place one hole in it the light will spread out in both directions. if you put 2 holes in the box the space in between ends up dark. now the part that baffled me was they were able to put 1 particle of light and put in through only one of the holes and another particle superimposed itself through the other hole. To me I think that light can trancend demensions. we know of 3 dimensions, time possibly being a 4th. but what about other dimensions and why humans can't percieve it or transcend to them. on the subject to light, one of the most important things in photography. An entity that has puzzled man kind for ages, with out it life can't exist, too much and you can get cancer and die. now not to offend non christians but I believe there is a passage in the bible that says God is everything, god can transend time (light can) God is everywhere (light is) and god knows everything, well the case for light is pushing it but it always made me think about it. If there is a god maybe the only thing we can see of it whatever it maybe might be Light.

I'm actually wondering if the light matter and dark matter that they're discovering in space, but they have no clue what it is, might be, um ....

Indeed. What of the "light at the end of tunnel" that has shown up consistently in near death experience research?

Gods and deities historically have been associated with warmth and light. Cultural symbolism or spiritual accuracy?

Walter Rick Long

There was an experiment where scientists were able to slpit a photon of light. They were somehow able to observe the spin of each photon as they existed in different locations. When they put a different spin on one photon, its other half began spinning in the same direction! Though "one" was now "two" they remained linked through some odd connection...

if that doesn't have spiritual undertones, I don't know what does

Kelly, I don't know if the dark matter they're measuring (or hypothesising) is "god" but I do think it's a part of the divine balance of the universe. For every high there is a low, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Is this "dark" matter the opposite of "light?"

And even more off topicer...

Is there enough matter in the universe to cause it to recollapse upon itself? Will it expand forever? Most recent predictions I have read seem to indicate it will expand forever. I personally think it will contract, impact itself, explode, and repeat the process eternally (life breathes) I think it's been doing the same forever.

Opinions?
    Walter Rick Long

Mamiya Man

Well to me matter the amount of matter hasn't changed, it is just that the boundries of the universe keeps expanding but eventually I also believe it will implode, not sure if it will become as small as the original singular but it till implode. Some obersvations made show that the universe is not only expanding but it is accelerating. the believe it may be the act of anti-gravity but they can't even pinpoint what gravity is or where it comes from. The other interesting thing about the universe is that they can see a rough map of it. Not by seeing stars and planets but by temperature differences per some of the machines that they have. I saw a map if it and they can show basically how the universe spread out after the big bang. the temperature differences are not a huge difference but just a few degrees kelvin they can decipher the difference. Not back to Light, I believe that light comes from a 5th demension. each smaller dimension can fit infinitely into the next. 1st dimension (lenght) 2nd (width) 3rd (height) our 3 percieved dimensions, 4th dimension Time, the 5th I would guess would be light. light can fill anything with no limit. we can't really weigh light, can't measure lights volume, it is an enigma, maybe something not of this Dimension? The more we learn and think we know the more we find out we don't know squat in the big scheme of things. Yet there is always the argument that science proves there is no god, (usually from atheists). with all the science we have can we prove there is a god? No. Can we prove there isn't? No. Just as all the faiths say, you must rely on your faith. Whether all the different miracles that have happened that science can't explain like the wine goblet w/blood clots w/human dna, no preservative and it has not decayed, the heart tissue on a communion wafer that has not decayed, or all the other miracles or events that science has no way of explaining. when science can figure that out, and prove how the universe works, the origin of life, how the universe was created what what created that, then we will have the knowledge.

Liz

Mountains!

Hi Rick,

I love your philosophical view of life. I like the way your mind is always working and I love it when you take the time to express your thoughts to us. You are a philosophical thinker - at least sometimes it appears that way. You have a good grasp of the spiritial, and I always enjoy your essays. ;)

Mountains. I'm not sure what it is, but Mountains are symbolic of the spiritual to me. I absolutely LOVE the Mountains. The Scriptures often refer to the Mountains. Jerusalem, the Holy City, is surrounded by Mountains.

When I lived near the Mountains, I would feel them "calling" me. I love to go to the top of a mountain where you can "hear" the Silence. There God speaks to my heart, in the Silence of the Mountains. I can sit and contemplate life forever up there.

I think the experience, if you will, of the eel is probably a physical phenomenom. I believe with us humans, there is a somewhat similar "phenomenom" but I think it comes from within, and has no limits. Because we have the power to think, to choose and to will which the lower animals aren't gifted with, they are limited. We have the power to become more than we are today. The poor little eel will always be what he/she is. Just my little philosophical thought for the day.

Now my thoughts have to be limited because I'm playing "hooky" from work!

Great post. It got me to thinking. Now, back to reality - my work is "calling" me!

Liz

Re: Mountains!

Hey LIz

Thanks for responding!

I hear that calling of the mountains you mention. Very deeply.

Now that other calling about doing work...

I have no idea ;)

I guess I'll have to leave it up to the scientists to figure out that we're attracted to mountains for more than peace of mind or communion with a higher power for some. I think there is also a physiological correlate active through our energy fields that will be discovered some day. Till then, I wait...

"and I always enjoy your essays."

Thanks! But geez, between you and Speedo I'm begining to think I talk to much up here!

LOL

I love your thoughts about lower animals. I agree that we inherently have a potential to self-awareness and growth that they don't have and as such are blessed. As are the lower critters blessed, but for different reasons! I sure has heck can't shock someone with my body!

Oh, you know what I mean.

But I will add that we have a lot to learn from animals. I've learned a lot about love and loyalty from my dogs. I've learned a lot about love and autonomy from my cats! We gather them around us I think because we are subconsciously picking up on the qualities they have that we want to expereince. But that's another theory! (think totems here)

I'll also have to say before ending this post that while we humans are gifted with self-awareness and the ability to grow, it breaks my heart to see so few people doing it.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Magoo,

That's very interesting about light being the 5th dimension. I had never considered that...

Ah, the existence of god. Such a conundrum! I find that the problem shifts to a much simpler one when you simply begin defining what god is before you start deciding whether he/she/it exists! But that's a whole other conversation!

I heard that the universe is accelerating. I forgot about that. That's bad news for folks like me who want to think it's going to collapse again some day. What I meant by mentoining the mass in the universe causing it to recollapse is I thought that the recollapse is contingent upon there being enough gravity (whatever that is!) between things to cause it all to come back together!

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. And matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Therefore there must be an equal reaction to the Big Bang (the Big Shrink?) And all this energy and matter all around us must have come from somewhere.

What was it before it was the universe?

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Mamiya Man

what amazes me is how all this matter in the universe, the mass of the earth, the sun, the moons in all galaxys could have fit into something the size of the head of a pin. I would love for science to find out what is outside of the universe. The universe is expanding but into what? is there a universe outside of ours that will mesh together with ours. If we only use 10% of our brain, what would be like if we used the other 90%. are there other states of the mind? The bright light when we die, chemical reaction (even though there is no electrical activity) causing us to see that or our soul transcending somewhere else. If doing an internet search for "proof of god" there is so much crap to read through, so much off the wall theories but we never will know until we go. have fun while your here, we aren't getting out alive.

Magoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information