• 03-02-2009, 08:36 AM
    Photo-John
    3 Attachment(s)
    PMA Tradeshow - What Do You Want To See?
    I'm posting this from the Salt Lake City airport. In a few hours I'll be in Las Vegas for the PMA tradeshow. PMA is the biggest annual tradeshow for the photography and camera industry. The show officially starts tomorrow morning but there are a couple of press only preview events today so I'll start posting photos and new camera details tonight. Please let us know what you want us to check out. We're going to the show so you can get an inside look. We'll do our best to get photos, video, and information about any photo gear you want. You can post your requests here or on the 2009 PMA page:

2009 PMA Tradeshow Coverage >>

The photos below are from last year's PMA tradeshow coverage.
  • 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Re: PMA Tradeshow - What Do You Want To See?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Please let us know what you want us to check out...

All I can think of off the top of my head are shots of you with SHOWGIRLS!... :D :arf: :ihih:
  • 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
    Liz
    I'm wondering if there will be any "new" camera equipment that has not been "announced."

Interests Include

New 4/3 systems and lenses
    **Camera - Small - light weight - IS
    **Lenses: "L" quality glass. :D

Canon - any new
    **DSLR's
    **Lenses

Liz
  • 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
    photophorous
    Anything Film related.

Any new prime lenses for Canon cameras, wides especially.

Epson R-D1x details.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    Anything Film related.

I'll second that request!
    As well as Steve's, show us the "SHOW GIRLS"!!!! :biggrin5:
    Brian
  • 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
    mjs1973
    What's up with that new Samsung NX? Looks like an interesting "hybrid".
  • 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
    Frog
    Free Stuff!!
  • 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
    Sushigaijin
    Another vote for "NX." Looks like it will be a lens-building race from here on out...
  • 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
    drg
    Test shots, if a sample of either of the new Canon Tilt and Shift lenses are offered, even in a prototype form.

The same or additional information from Sigma on the three new lenses or variants announced at the beginning of PMA.

Specifically for Sigma:
    The New 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM and the 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM lenses. The 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM will interest several PR members, but it is not on my personal radar.
  • 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
    Speed
    Anything and everything NIKON!
  • 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
    Ultra Magnus
    Anything and everything Sony!

Seriously, I'm interested in what that new 28-75 2.8 is supposed to be. Is it just a re-branded Tamron?

BM
  • 03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Live PMA Updates On Twitter
    You may or may not know about Twitter. But I have been making a lot of Twitter posts, live from the show floor. Many of them include secret (not really) iPhone spy photos. To see my live twitter coverage, follow me here: http://www.twitter.com/photo_john/
  • 03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
    Liz
    Re: Live PMA Updates On Twitter
    Quote:

You may or may not know about Twitter. But I have been making a lot of Twitter posts, live from the show floor. Many of them include secret (not really) iPhone spy photos. To see my live twitter coverage, follow me here: http://www.twitter.com/photo_john/

Thanks John!

Hmmm.........does Canon actually have a booth? I haven't seen a hint of a press release - except for a bunch of compact P&S upgrades a few weeks ago.

Have a great time - and thanks for the updates.......

Liz
  • 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
    Xia_Ke
    John, if you make it by the Ilford booth, ask them where they are at with their Polaroid replacement development :D

Oh and if they're giving out lenses at the Rodenstock or Schneider booths, I could use a 135mm or 150mm...LOL (hey, it never hurts to ask)
  • 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
    Photo-John
    Canon Tilt-Shift Lenses
    Carleton-
    The new Canon 17mm Tilt-Shift lens is pretty cool. I'll post a photo when I finish downloading. But the lenses they have are only prototypes and they wouldn't let anyone put them on their cameras. Smartwombat gave it a shot and got denied.
  • 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
    poker
    Any news on video capable DSLRs would be nice :)
  • 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poker
    Any news on video capable DSLRs would be nice :)

How about video-capable Micro Four Thirds cameras?

(working on it)

:)
  • 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
    drg
    Re: Canon Tilt-Shift Lenses
    Quote:

Carleton-
    The new Canon 17mm Tilt-Shift lens is pretty cool. I'll post a photo when I finish downloading. But the lenses they have are only prototypes and they wouldn't let anyone put them on their cameras. Smartwombat gave it a shot and got denied.

John,

Thanks!

Did you see any new lighting gear, either cold and/or l.e.d. type? Lite Panel was supposed to be at PMA with a new or newer version of their various continuous cold lighting products. The mini-panel/on camera units are neat for fill lights and I wonder if they have upped the output any? Were not quite strong enough for other than very up close work.

Travel safe!
  • 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    I would be curious to hear about any new DSLR/lens releases from PENTAX. Especially anything named K3D*, K30D or K300D. :)
  • 03-04-2009, 09:46 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    John, if you make it by the Ilford booth, ask them where they are at with their Polaroid replacement development :D

Ilford didn't have a booth themselves but Harman were there on the stand of Wynit, their distributor.
    I talked to Stephen Brierly about The Impossible Project http://www.the-impossible-project.com/.
    In summary, it's going ahead but it's too early to tell.
    Harman have a 3 month R&D phase to produce a lab model, before commercialization of that can begin.
    So in 2 1/2 months there will be some results, but no production.

I think it's too early in the project to know where the pitfalls are, or to have any idea of production timescales.
  • 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Canon Tilt-Shift Lenses
    Lite Panel are here, yes.
    Showing daylight and tungsten versions of the panels.
    Rather too expensive for my budget though, but I picked up their product CD.
    I can check through it tonight on the laptop at the hotel.
  • 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Ilford didn't have a booth themselves but Harman were there on the stand of Wynit, their distributor.
    I talked to Stephen Brierly about The Impossible Project http://www.the-impossible-project.com/.
    In summary, it's going ahead but it's too early to tell.
    Harman have a 3 month R&D phase to produce a lab model, before commercialization of that can begin.
    So in 2 1/2 months there will be some results, but no production.

I think it's too early in the project to know where the pitfalls are, or to have any idea of production timescales.

Thank you very much for checking Paul :) Now if only I could find a Graflok back to fit my camera :(
  • 03-05-2009, 06:20 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    As well as Steve's, show us the "SHOW GIRLS"!!!! :biggrin5:

I heard you, and posted show girls :)
    John even got one of me and the show girls, sorry to spoil the pic :(
  • 03-05-2009, 06:30 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    I'm wondering if there will be any "new" camera equipment that has not been "announced."

I thought the only one was the Pentax X70 superzoom which was shown at the sneak peek.
    John's corrected me, the Panasonic EH1 was announced Tuesday morning.
  • 03-06-2009, 12:01 AM
    SmartWombat
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Live PMA Updates On Twitter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    Hmmm.........does Canon actually have a booth?

Yes :)
    Prime position next to the main entrance on the lower floor.