• 04-02-2008, 05:35 PM
    jgredline
    Re: Planned Parenthood Protest
    A child is created as soon as the sperm fertilizes the egg.
  • 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM
    Dylan8i
    why is that one cell any more special than a single sperm or a single egg or the millions of cells that slough off my body daily?
  • 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
    jgredline
    A single sperm or a single egg does not make a baby. One only needs to look an oneself to see this truth. None of us would be here if the sperm did not fertilize the egg.
  • 04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
    Dylan8i
    yes, but you take a sperm and add special stuff to it, just as a zygote has stuff added to it, and it does become life, eventually. thus a zygote does not make a baby if other things are not added to it (ie 6 months in a womb). the addition of sperm to egg is just one of many steps in the middle of the miracle of life.

and many animals (several of them are higher organisms- read veterbrate- ) do not need a sperm AND egg to reproduce....
  • 04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
    jgredline
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    yes, but you take a sperm and add special stuff to it, just as a zygote has stuff added to it, and it does become life,

You are joking right?

Quote:

eventually. thus a zygote does not make a baby if other things are not added to it (ie 6 months in a womb). the addition of sperm to egg is just one of many steps in the middle of the miracle of life.
    Are you reading what your writing?

Quote:

and many animals (several of them are higher organisms- read veterbrate- ) do not need a sperm AND egg to reproduce....
    Typical evolution....It is time for me to bow out of this discussion...I can't reason with Illogical logic and thinking.
  • 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM
    Dylan8i
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jgredline
    You are joking right?

Are you reading what your writing?

Typical evolution....It is time for me to bow out of this discussion...I can't reason with Illogical logic and thinking.

well since evolution IS a fact, i guess i can't reason with you.... i do like understanding other sides of arguments though and have heard sides from strict creationalists (he believed earth wasn't more than 2000 years old- despite evidences such as dendocronology) ....

and yes im serious adding a sperm to an egg is the same as adding oxygen and nutrients its all just organical molecules. until that group of cells is capable of living on its own outside of a womb how is it any different than a group of cancerous cells we cut out of our body? or the millions of cells we slough off daily? or the group of cells we cut off our hair each hair cut? each one has our full genome in them, each one is capable of creating an offspring ( if combined with the correct cell.... maybe with human help but can still create a clone). but if you don't believe in evolution ( which does NOT mean you don't believe in a god) , whic is the basis of all life in one form or another, than i pity you deply.
  • 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
    jgredline
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    well since evolution IS a fact, i guess i can't reason with you.... i do like understanding other sides of arguments though and have heard sides from strict creationalists (he believed earth wasn't more than 2000 years old- despite evidences such as dendocronology) ....

and yes im serious adding a sperm to an egg is the same as adding oxygen and nutrients its all just organical molecules. until that group of cells is capable of living on its own outside of a womb how is it any different than a group of cancerous cells we cut out of our body? or the millions of cells we slough off daily? or the group of cells we cut off our hair each hair cut? each one has our full genome in them, each one is capable of creating an offspring ( if combined with the correct cell.... maybe with human help but can still create a clone). but if you don't believe in evolution ( which does NOT mean you don't believe in a god) , whic is the basis of all life in one form or another, than i pity you deply.

If you are really up for a debate, then let me know. I believe that my view is logical and makes sense. I do not wish to convince you of anything and I am sure we are both dogmatic in our views..At the end of the day we can agree to disagree and walk away friends...So let me know and lets start a new thread if you wish..If not that is cool too.
  • 04-04-2008, 12:18 AM
    RP Racing
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    On a side note, I absolutely detest when people take their small children with them to protest. I've seen several, with kids younger than mine.

Ditto. Last year I was in Rockford, IL and these retards (I have another word for them but the word filter will kick in:D ) had their little graphic signs up at State St and Apline. Yeah they had a "warning sign" stating graphic material ahead, but 20' from the first protestor isnt a warning. What was even more disturbing is what had to be 4-5 yr old holding signs up ON THE CURB OF 2 MAJOR 4 LANE ROADS in Rockford. Not to mention the kids holding the signs in the first place.

Want to protest, fine. Doesnt bother me, hell knock yourself out. But leave the damn graphic signs and young kids home. Also not everyone wants to have to explain these graphic signs to their young kids after they see these protesters signs.
  • 04-04-2008, 03:56 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RP Racing
    Last year I was in Rockford, IL and these retards

Hey, I resemble that remark! :) At least along the lines of living there and that intersection is fairly close to my house. Yes, they (not me) have been doing this for years.

As Frog said earlier in this thread, it's "hard to argue that photography doesn't inspire passion". If it was true when he said this a couple of days ago, it's even more obvious now. This had been a very civil discussion but it's taking a turn. Please keep it on track. If you want to discuss the issue behind the photograph, start a new thread in Off Topic.
  • 04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
    Frog
    Frankyly, people, I think this discussion has gone way overboard for the Viewfinder forums and if you want to debate abortion then it should be taken to the off topic forum or better yet to another site because it will go on forever.
    I don't know how far I would have to go back to see any mention of Seb's photo and viewfinder is for photo discussion and related topics.
  • 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
    adina
    Sebastian's photo rocks!
  • 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
    jgredline
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Sebastian's photo rocks!

Agreed!!!...A good photo tells a story and this one certainly did that!!!

I also apologize for my part in hi jacking this thread.:blush2:
  • 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

I also apologize for my part in hi jacking this thread.:blush2:

Like I said, I don't care about the hijack, once these threads are posted they take on a life of their own. Honestly, it's a process I enjoy watching. But things need to stay civil, and we came a bit close to the edge here. Thanks for turning it around guys.

To derail my own thread, I strongly encourage y'all to watch this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/187

Via DaringFireball.net.
  • 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
    jgredline
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Like I said, I don't care about the hijack, once these threads are posted they take on a life of their own. Honestly, it's a process I enjoy watching. But things need to stay civil, and we came a bit close to the edge here. Thanks for turning it around guys.

To derail my own thread, I strongly encourage y'all to watch this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/187

Via DaringFireball.net.

I saw 60% of it and it reminded me of why I quit college... LOL.
    Really though...Since the context of the video along with planned parenthood seems to be ''creation'' or the creation of life, or death in the case of planned parenthood, we should define who is the creator" Where did life begin? To create something means to make something out of nothing....Not to take existing materials and make something....

Sorry Frog, but Sebas seems to be enjoying this thread and to be honest, I just read through it and everyone has been civil...In fact, it seems rather peaceful.
  • 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Sorry Frog, but Sebas seems to be enjoying this thread and to be honest, I just read through it and everyone has been civil...In fact, it seems rather peaceful.

I didn't say I enjoyed this thread, I said I enjoyed watching threads take on a life of their own, whether good or bad. Saying I enjoyed it is putting words in my mouth.

And yes, even though the posts have been pretty civil, there is way too much poking of the fire going on.

As for the video, it's people like him that make me want to go back to college.
  • 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM
    jgredline
    Quote:

I didn't say I enjoyed this thread, I said I enjoyed watching threads take on a life of their own, whether good or bad. Saying I enjoyed it is putting words in my mouth.

And yes, even though the posts have been pretty civil, there is way too much poking of the fire going on.

Well, then I apologize for misunderstanding you and misrepresenting you. My bad.
    I am now signing off this thread.
  • 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

I'm sorry about my rant. It is a good Photo like most you post.