ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Beautiful Girl! (thanks Hodgy!)

Just wanted to share what a difference Hodgy's actions + the new CS have made for me! These are my sweet baby girl and the Softar action gives it the perfect effect I was going for! I can't thank everyone enough for showing me how to improve on my shots! These are a combo of the help I got from the Studio Forum, Digital Forum, Help Forum, and the Viewfinder!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beautiful Girl! (thanks Hodgy!)-kasey1.jpg   Beautiful Girl! (thanks Hodgy!)-kasey2.jpg   Beautiful Girl! (thanks Hodgy!)-kasey3.jpg  

Wow wow wow wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    Just wanted to share what a difference Hodgy's actions + the new CS have made for me! These are my sweet baby girl and the Softar action gives it the perfect effect I was going for! I can't thank everyone enough for showing me how to improve on my shots! These are a combo of the help I got from the Studio Forum, Digital Forum, Help Forum, and the Viewfinder!
    You're not kidding about BEAUTIFUL! The girl and the shot and the post processing. These are perfectly lovely and she is just an angel and so natural at modeling. Did you have something white behind her or do that in photoshop? It's a wonderful and different look. I also have Hodgys actions (who doesnt? lol) so can I ask you , did you just run the Softar action, or take steps afterward to bring some sharpness back. Please share your technique, because you really hit it just right.
    Kit

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    These shots are great! Post Processing looks really good, makes her look very heavenly and angelic!

-Photo on-
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

me again...

I forgot to say my favorite... its 2. awww look at those little feet just sitting in the air! No, its 3! could anything be sweeter looking??? No, 1, no, 2, no, 3, no 2...
    Kit

Hey, she's adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just want to point one thing out with post processing...............You have to have an excellent image to start with. Garbage in, garbage out. What does this mean? Besides the post processing this image stands excellent on it's own. Cheers. Great shoot!

technique

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    You're not kidding about BEAUTIFUL! The girl and the shot and the post processing. These are perfectly lovely and she is just an angel and so natural at modeling. Did you have something white behind her or do that in photoshop? It's a wonderful and different look. I also have Hodgys actions (who doesnt? lol) so can I ask you , did you just run the Softar action, or take steps afterward to bring some sharpness back. Please share your technique, because you really hit it just right.
    Kit
    Shesells - Thanks for the kind words! She is a ham - what you don't see are the other 60 pictures of her messin around!

In terms of technique, the background is a white muslin (12X18 or something) I light the background with strip dome from the ceiling at an angle towards the background. The main light is a big softbox. The background is about 1 step higher than the main light. I shot these in RAW so the only processing on #1 and #3 are to choose levels and set the white point - essentially anywhere on the background. Then I chose the Softar action. On #1 and #2 it was relatively low and I really boosted it on the 3rd. On each I used the history brush to sharpen the eyes and mouth. On #2 I did burn out the floor where she was standing. It actually did not take very long at all!

thanks again! Wes

Hodgy, thanks - she is my sweet baby girl!

It took me a long time to get the white background thing to a consistent level. I have to say the photos you have shared have inspired me quite a bit now that (dare I say it) I shoot mostly digital all the time! Thanks again for faning the flames! Wes

Shesells - Thanks for the kind words! She is a ham - what you don't see are the other 60 pictures of her messin around!

In terms of technique, the background is a white muslin (12X18 or something) I light the background with strip dome from the ceiling at an angle towards the background. The main light is a big softbox. The background is about 1 step higher than the main light. I shot these in RAW so the only processing on #1 and #3 are to choose levels and set the white point - essentially anywhere on the background. Then I chose the Softar action. On #1 and #2 it was relatively low and I really boosted it on the 3rd. On each I used the history brush to sharpen the eyes and mouth. On #2 I did burn out the floor where she was standing. It actually did not take very long at all!

thanks again! Wes
    shutterman, thanks for sharing the technique. I copied it to notepad for when I'm ready to use it. And thank you for sharing Daddy's little girl with us.
    Kit

Thread Information