ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking I've Gone Digital!!

I haven't posted here in forever, though I have been lurking a bit more lately. Anyways, I took the plunge and got the Nikon D70, along with the 18-70mm AF-S (which is very nice IMO). Steep learning curve going from the N80 to a DSLR, but I'm getting it a bit at a time.
    The camera is fantastic, blazingly fast, accurate color, great resolution. I'm extremely pleased so far.
    The weather has been pretty crappy in these parts the last few days, but I've gotten a few shots off. One of things I'm having to get used to is the crop factor on the macro shots, and the resulting DOF. I wanted just a bit more in this shot, but I'll get it down. This was shot a ISO 800, and I was very pleased at the quality.
    The D70 is a great tool, and well worth the money. It's extremely feature rich for a camera at this price point, and the image quality is excellent as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've Gone Digital!!-purple-tulip1-web.jpg  

About damn time...

Where have you been?? Good call on the D70, nothing better out there right now in the price range.

PS, nice shot.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Very nice and welcome to the DSLR age. Love the colours.

Unhappy What???

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoamigo
    I haven't posted here in forever, though I have been lurking a bit more lately. Anyways, I took the plunge and got the Nikon D70, along with the 18-70mm AF-S (which is very nice IMO). Steep learning curve going from the N80 to a DSLR, but I'm getting it a bit at a time.
    The camera is fantastic, blazingly fast, accurate color, great resolution. I'm extremely pleased so far.
    The weather has been pretty crappy in these parts the last few days, but I've gotten a few shots off. One of things I'm having to get used to is the crop factor on the macro shots, and the resulting DOF. I wanted just a bit more in this shot, but I'll get it down. This was shot a ISO 800, and I was very pleased at the quality.
    The D70 is a great tool, and well worth the money. It's extremely feature rich for a camera at this price point, and the image quality is excellent as well.

Digital?!!!

At least you're still shooting NIKON!

:-)

Great pic! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your D70.

Congratulations on your new camera!!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Still with Nikon....

Thanks everybody for the kind words. It's been too damn long since I last posted, but you know, there is just not enough hours in the day anymore. I got married last November, and between the time with the wife, the job, the camera, the great Colorado outdoors, and....cough..umm...the PS2, it's a wonder I even get time to sleep.
    I have been lurking a lot more lately though, so I just need to get out of lurk mode, and post more often. Penny, I see you are anxiously awaiting a new arrival to your camera family, the Mark II!!! I tell ya, that camera there...WOW!! You are going to have some serious fun with that, in addition to learning so much. Congrats, that is one fantastic camera!!
    Seb, I see you switched over to Canon!! Traitor!!! ;) Just kiddin' bud. I read your reasons and can certainly see some of your points, and everyone has to be satisfied with the equipment they are shooting with. I stuck with Nikon, for one, because in this price range it was the only way to go, but also I tend to believe that with either company, you just can't go wrong. Both systems have their quirks and limitations, you pick one that best suits your needs best, and go with it. Though I believe that Nikon has the edge now on the lower end with the D70, Canon clearly has the edge at the higher end. But I do believe the edge will swing back and forth at both the low end and high end. Just like Nikon got Canon's attention early on in the digital world, Canon has definitely gotten Nikon's attention now (and I'm sure capturing 70% of the digital camera market had an effect).
    That does, though, bring me to one of your points I most definitely agreed with, that Nikon just doesn't state their intentions or communicate as openly as they should. Always been very quiet and secretive, and that bothers me, though I can live with it, as long as they keep putting out good product, which I believe they do.
    I think they made a mis-step with the D2H, but they will correct that soon I think. Nikon certainly did good with the D70, they sure put alot into that camera for such a "low" price.
    I do think that this DX lens I got will probably be the only DX I purchase, as I also agree that eventually full frame will be the norm. But as I don't plan on buying another DSLR for a few more years (the wife would, to put it mildly, very much disagree with anything sooner), I'm still gonna get alot of use out of that lens, and one things for sure, it's not a normal "kit" lens by any means. Very good quality there.
    But like I said, you just can't go wrong with either company, and damn, Minolta's jumping into the game with a digital that has image stablilization built into the camera!!
    I admit, I did think hard about saving a bit more money, selling the Nikon gear, and going to the 10D, but the D70 is just so fast at everything for the price point, and the image quality rocks as well, IMO. So I'm still with Nikon, though if I would have gone 10D, I know I would be very happy as well.
    Speed, good to hear from you!! Congrats on the wedding jobs, but you need to start charging!! ;) I just had to go digital, though I love my slides, the scanning time, cost of slide film, etc., was just really aggravating me. Like I said, there is just not enough time in the day!! Believe me, I know digital is expensive in it's own ways, but the workflow time will be cut down so much, and I love the quality.
    Peter, thanks for the comments, and it's great to be digital!!
    Well, now that I've put anyone who has bothered to read this far asleep, I'll stop typing now...
    Thanks again!!
    Brian
    Last edited by coloradoamigo; 04-08-2004 at 10:00 PM.

Late again, but congrats on the D70. Yeah, Canon seems to be well ahead in the digital game, but the D70 is a winner, as your image attests. I have the D100 and couldn't be more pleased with the results. Keep posting shots like this and there may be even more digital converts.

Thanks Charles...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Late again, but congrats on the D70. Yeah, Canon seems to be well ahead in the digital game, but the D70 is a winner, as your image attests. I have the D100 and couldn't be more pleased with the results. Keep posting shots like this and there may be even more digital converts.
    Now if I could just get a good weather weekend, I could get up to those mountains and take some shots.
    Thanks again,
    Brian

One even later - congrads on the camera. Looks great, especially at 800!

Mornin' Brian...

It's great to see you posting again! I've missed seeing your photography on the boards.

I went digital about 2 months ago (D100) and I'm having serious thoughts about getting a D70. It just has soooo much more to offer and it's affordably priced to boot! Plus, EVERYTHING I've read about the camera is good and everyone suggests getting the lens too because it's great as well. Keep your images coming and help sway my decision.

Looking forward to seeing more,
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    It's great to see you posting again! I've missed seeing your photography on the boards.

I went digital about 2 months ago (D100) and I'm having serious thoughts about getting a D70. It just has soooo much more to offer and it's affordably priced to boot! Plus, EVERYTHING I've read about the camera is good and everyone suggests getting the lens too because it's great as well. Keep your images coming and help sway my decision.

Looking forward to seeing more,
    ~Brian
    Hey Brian!!
    Thanks for the comments and kind words. I'm really loving this camera, and learning quite a lot at the same time. It's definitely a different world on the digital side.
    All I can tell you is that I've been extremely pleased with the D70, but should you sell your D100, I'm not so sure. If speed is really important to you, then maybe you should, but also be aware that the D70 does not have mirror lock-up or a vertical grip option, and if that is important to you, then that can swing you in the other direction. The D100 has a better build quality, though I certainly cannot complain about the D70, very well built. I don't think the image quality difference (if there is any at all in real world photgraphy) would be a reason to sell the D100, as it is perfectly capable of producing stunning images.
    I guess it all depends on your preferences and also how much, if at all, it would hurt you financially.
    Do be aware that any problems reported on the web regarding the D70 have been blown WAY out of proportion, as these things always are on all DSLR's. Yes, the D70 is more prone to moire than the D100 or the Canons, but I've shot over 400 images so far, and I've had no problems. I just think it's a non-issue, at least for me, and most reviews seem to agree with this. The supposed color shift problem just doesn't exist, at least not in real world photography.
    You know, it just cracks me up when people blow up an image to 600% and say, "see, this image is horrible looking!!!"
    Anyway, here are some reviews on the D70, if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A.HTM

http://www.bythom.com/D70REVIEW.HTM

Have a good one!!
    Brian

Thread Information