ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking Photos: Snowboarding in Calgary.

I have a Canon Powershot A-80 and the other weekend I went out with some buddies and just snapped a few pictures to show what the snowboarding situation is like in Calgary. We went up to Canada Olympic Park (C.O.P), rode the park, and had a great time. I only bothered to take four pictures because the weather was so darn cold! -20 weather and -25 with the wind can sure get to your hands when you take of your gloves to work the camera!

Well, I hope you all enjoy the photos I took. I'm looking to go out this weekend with some more friends and hopefully get some shots. (The photos are re-sized from the site I hosted them on).

Enjoy!

Matt; Indy off the diving board.

Matt; Hitting up the kinked rail.

Matt; Launching off the rainbow rail.

Troy; Airing off the diving board for the first time.

Tell me what you think and what I should do to take better action shots. I'm a noob to photography.

Cheers.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Stew

Looks like you've got a pretty good reaction time, you're catching your boarders in right about the right moment, not too long after or just before. Your positioning looks good as well.

Two things I see could spruce up your pics (even in 20 below): Try using a fill flash. It'll light up your subjects, make them "jump" out at you better. And it will also help freeze the action, ie catch bits of snow in the air, make your boarder even more look "stopped" in air, etc.

Also: if your camera has adjustable settings, try overexposing your snow shots a little more. The snow in your shots looks grey, it should be white. If your camera is just automatic, look to see if there's a snow/beach scene button you can select to help your camera grab the proper exposure.

Just one more thing to try once it warms up: get even closer to your subjects, like right underneath, laying on the ground even, to get radical points of view, and an up-close perspective. Look through magazines to see what angles the pro photogs are getting.

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information