ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Photography at Staples center?

Hey guys, just wondering if you've been able to bring in a dSLR to a sporting event like a basketball game. I know on their website they say no photography but even for a basketball game? Seems like plenty of flashes during the game on tv.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Photography at Staples center?

It's pretty easy to find out most venues' policies by simply looking on their web site:

http://www.staplescenter.com

But in this case, I'll save you the trouble. This is the answer listed in their FAQ for the question, "Can I bring my camera and photograph a STAPLES Center event?"

Photography -

No commercial or flash photography of any kind is permitted. Camcorders or any other audio/visual equipment is prohibited unless authorized by team/promoter or performer. Specifically, the use of the following equipment is not permitted:

- Lenses greater than three-and-one-half inches in length
    - Telephoto or zoom lenses of any kind
    - Interchangeable lenses of any kind
    - Monopods or tripods
    - Flash equipment of any kind

So you can see, while it appears pretty strict, there IS some wiggle room for shooting (just NOT with a DSLR). Like many private and public facilities, the "apperance" of being more than an amateur is what gets you in trouble.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Actually it is useful to have 3 digital cameras. A good quality pocket camera that is not as amateur as it looks, an EVF compact with all the features that looks like it is sporting a regular lens and of course a DSLR.

In this case I would use the compact with a fast 2.8 to 3.5 lens, probably in multi-shot mode. I would also turn off the shutter sound and if necessary use the adjustable LCD screen to even shoot from the waist.

All they can do is warn you or kick you out and you still have the photos you have taken, no matter what. If it is a public event then use should not be an issue either.

Ronnoco

Those "flashes" are strobes set up by "pro" photographers covering the event. I always carry a camera everywhere, and recently went to a concert with an slr, and 70-210 lens and noone said anything to me at the arena. Sorry, I don't have experience with the sports thing.

I use my press pass to get into events with equipment normally...
    Amateur or Pro equipment nonetheless. Some local news groups use pocketcams every now and then...

But this is for Houston...

As Asylum Steve points out, check the website of the group who is promoting the event and the place thats holding the event, the rules can be different between the two. This past weekends AMA Supercross was easy on people as they allowed cameras with no limits but no video cameras allowed. For Colts games they have lens restrictions, same for the Pacers at Conseco Fieldhouse.
    Most promoters have restrictions on camera and video equipment, as do most locations such as the Staples center, race tracks and so on. As Spacey points out press passes get you past those restrictions, even then though there are still certain restrictions for the press. Some events do not allow any flash, others flash is limited, sometimes to specific photographers such as very large newspapers and the AP shooters being allowed to have mounted strobes and use those for basketball. Then there are shooting locations where press are allowed or not allowed to shoot from. Those are normally safety related issues. The AMA gave those on the floor maps of the motorcross track and the areas marked in green were where photographers were allowed, red were prohibited areas. It was a nice setup, and on the rear of the card it had the photographers rules.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information