ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Pentax Forum Moderator

ATTN: WISCONSIN, IOWA, ILLINOIS, et al

Please allow this double post from the business forum...it is very time constrained and needs to get to as many as possible in a short amount of time. Thank you, Ken

Below is a response to flyer I was getting information on of a seminar planned here in Platteville. The email can explain it better than I, but we need a quick response if this is going to make. I think it would be good for those of us planning on getting into contracts of any kind regarding our art. I plan on attending if it makes. For $15.00 not a bad deal.
    Ken

Ken,

So far I have not had any one sign up for this program. If you were interested and knew of some others that were interested you should contact me asap. I had anticipated a much larger response to this event, the details are below.

I would need to have 5 people sign up by Friday to hold this workshop. Beth Russell is very knowledgeable and is also able to talk about copyright and trademark issues as they relate to artists.

Let me know ASAP.

Heidi Dyas-McBeth

Let’s Make a Deal: Contract Essentials for Artists:
    Brush up on fundamentals such as contract formation, construction and breach. Learn what some of those inscrutable "boilerplate" clauses really mean, and get the latest on electronic contracting. Examine specific contracts of interest to artists, such as commissioning, consignment and licensing agreements. Ms. Russell is the author of Art Law Conversations: A Surprisingly Readable Guide for Visual Artists, more info at
    www.erklaw.com

Fee: $15
    Date and Time: Wednesday, March 8th from 6:30 – 8:30,
    Location: University of Wisconsin-Platteville, Doudna Hall, Room 135
    http://www.uwplatt.edu/cont_ed/classes/noncredit/
    or calling 608-342-1314

/////////
    If any can make it, please try!!
    Ken

Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: ATTN: WISCONSIN, IOWA, ILLINOIS, et al

Well, I am not in any of those, but if she gets to KY, close by, I would not mind going to something like that.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Pentax Forum Moderator

A final notice by Heidi...

To register you need to go to the website link indicated in the last email I sent you (*in the link above) - or call 608-342-1314 to register by phone. They can do credit card or payment by check.

She will be making the decision to make or cancel by noon on Friday, March 3. She needs at least 5 people by noon tomorrow. Kim and I make 2, so 3 more people if anyone is interested, call the number above.

Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hello all, I have just talked to Heidi and she is going to leave the class open until the last minute. She has gotten 1 other person other than myself and my wife but we still need 2 more people to be guaranteed the class will make. I have also checked with the University and you do not need to be a student of UWP or even a Grant County or Wisconsin Resident so anyone nearby who wants to learn about contracts and other legal matters dealing with the arts, here is a great opportunity. Especially with what appears to be a very small group, there will be a lot of 1 on 1 attention.
    The seminar is $15.00 and all course materials and handouts are included in that fee. Where else can you pick a lawyers brain for $15.00...hehe...
    Oh well, now I'm sounding pushy and didn't mean to, but I am excited about this and would like a chance to hear this woman speak.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm that 3rd person. You may have to remind me about it next week if they go thru with the class.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

OK great Michael. I will do my best to let you know Tuesday and try to remind you Wednesday. Kim and I are signed up, and everything falling into place will be there, but will stay signed up regardless of whether we can make it or not. We just got back from Madison UW Childrens Hospital. We had to put our youngest grandson in for some tests and depending on what they find out and when will be our major energy this next several days. I know there will be questions so will make a quick synopsis. Our youngest is about 7 months old. He has not been gaining weight and in this past couple of weeks has lost about 1 1/2 lbs. He was 7 1/2 lbs. at birth and has only gained 4 lbs since and now he's lost so we got a new doctor for him and he wanted him admitted for a battery of tests to find out why he's not gaining. He appears healthy, eats like a horse, is happy, alert, etc...so it's kind of mysterious as to why he's not gaining. Other than that, we don't know anything else at this point. We're going back down tomorrow and will be there as long as it takes.
    Anyway, Michael, I kind of got off subject, but will do our best to get this thing to make. If you know any other artists in the area, give them a call...hehe...will talk with you later.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi all,
    FYI, the seminar is on. However, it would really be nice if we had a few more artists to add some depth to the seminar. The more that are there, the more different questions we will all have, then the greater the experience and knowledge we will gain.
    Again, thanks to those who are coming.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

AV...THANK YOU FOR THE STICKY!!! Please remove the stickiness as the workshop is over.

As for the workshop, it was very informative. We learned many things such as "what makes a contract?", "what constitutes an offer?", what constitutes an acceptance?".

We also touched on copyright laws, where I learned that although your work is automatically copyrighted the moment it is physically produced, you can not collect any compensation, except if you suffered a loss, whereas, if you copyright it, then you are eligible for up to $150,000.00 per infringement. Makes me stop and think!!!!

An idea cannot be copyrighted, so if I state that I'm going to do a collection of works on a specific topic, and someone else thinks it's a good idea and creates it before I do, I have no recourse. Lesson here was "KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!".

I will be trying to post some more of the things I learned tonight in the Photo Business and Law forum. I have also asked Ms. Russell to visit our site and maybe join in on some conversations. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that she stops by as she is a very knowledgeable attorney in our field.

Enough of my rambling. As you can tell, I extremely enjoyed myself tonight. Lets hope my notes are sufficient enough to overcome my alzheimers...hehehe...

Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information