ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    It's hurricane season... again...

Photography magazine preferences?

I'm browsing for magazines on Amazon... not a whole lot of descriptions available. Does anyone here have a favorite magazine that would be good for someone who is not a pro? Thanks! P.S. I also don't shoot digital- yet....
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar

I like Popular Photography & Imaging

Quote Originally Posted by kkraczek
    I'm browsing for magazines on Amazon... not a whole lot of descriptions available. Does anyone here have a favorite magazine that would be good for someone who is not a pro? Thanks! P.S. I also don't shoot digital- yet....
    My personal favorite is Popular Photography and Imaging. I would recomend that you visit a local Barnes and Noble, and spend some quality time in the periodicals section. Look at as many as you can, and perhaps buy a few, and get a feel for them. That is what I did, and Popular Photography and Imaging became my favorite.
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

I could never get into Pop Photo but I can see how someone who's new to photography could really like it. I opted for the UK's Practical Photography, and recently picked up my first copy of Photography Monthly (also UK). I found Practical to be the most helpful mag out there when I was starting out several years ago.

American Photo (not really technical) is my all-time fave, and PDN (Photo District News) comes in close on the list. It's also not very technical, focusing mostly on the shooters themselves, and on the industry.
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

I'm also a Practical Photography fan ... expensive, but the best all-purpose mag out there, in my opinion. I also like the glitz of American Photo.

Outdoor Photography....

Quote Originally Posted by kkraczek

Is my favorite. If you're looking for tips on studio lighting or shooting portraits, it isn't going to help you. But if you like shooting outdoor shots, landscapes, wildlife, etc, then it is a great all-around magazine. They cover film and digital, and they have camera/lens/accessory reviews. I've found it to be very helpful.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Going to Barnes & Noble or Borders would be good advice, they usually carry many photo magazines so you can see what you're going to get. Personally, my current favorite is Photo Techniques but I'll have to check out Practical Photography too.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll go to B&N today.
    Speed, did you mean Outdoor Photographer or Photography? (Outdoor Photography's description included the British landscape, so I wasn't sure!)

Practical Photography does look fabulous... and expensive but I'm going to check out all the recommendations later. Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by kkraczek; 04-12-2004 at 08:23 PM. Reason: wrong magazine title... oops!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    If you want more technical advice and the latest equipment, go w/ Pop Photo. I also really enjoy Outdoor Photographer with all of their landscapes, and advice from Landscape Pro Photographers. I subscribe to both and thoroughly enjoy them!

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    If you want more technical advice and the latest equipment, go w/ Pop Photo. I also really enjoy Outdoor Photographer with all of their landscapes, and advice from Landscape Pro Photographers. I subscribe to both and thoroughly enjoy them!

Kathy
    Thanks Kathy, I ended up buying an issue of Outdoor Photographer. It is very colorful, and didn't seem to be as full of ads as some of the others. B&N didn't have Practical Photo, but they did have an abundance of digi photo mags. Go figure!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thread Information