• 03-06-2004, 08:44 AM
    Speed
    3 Attachment(s)
    Photography Jeapordy Anyone?
    The wife suggested I post these. I think they're too easy myself, but here goes.

First round is Jeapordy, catagory is What is it?

This is followed by Double Jeapordy, catagory is What is this?

And of course, Final Jeapordy, catagory is What makes this photo unusal?

Remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question.

Good luck, and thank you for playing.
  • 03-06-2004, 08:55 AM
    mtbbrian
    I'll play along Alex...
    Let's see...

What is a coconut?

What is Mars?

What is it is a basketball court on grass?

Brian
  • 03-06-2004, 09:20 AM
    Speed
    Our First Contestant
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Let's see...

What is a coconut?

What is Mars?

What is it is a basketball court on grass?

Brian

Yes, the first shot is of a coconut. I told you this was easy.

I'm afraid you are incorrect on the second.

As for the Final Jeapordy question, yes, it may be considered unusual to have a basketball court on grass, but I'm afraid that is not the answer we are looking for. Feel free to try again.
  • 03-06-2004, 09:41 AM
    another view
    I'll give it a shot (pardon the pun) - second is the North Star, but there's something about the color in the third shot. Is it a long exposure at night (moonlit)?
  • 03-06-2004, 09:51 AM
    Speed
    We Have A Winner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I'll give it a shot (pardon the pun) - second is the North Star, but there's something about the color in the third shot. Is it a long exposure at night (moonlit)?

I told you this was easy! The second shot is of the North Star, along with the North Circumpolar Constellations. The North Star is the one in the middle, and everything else is revolving around it (or so it looks on film). This was my first night shot with the K1000. 30 minutes at f2.0

The third one had the potential to be difficult, but the green cast gives it away to anyone with experience shooting night landscapes with print film. This shot shows why night landscapes should be shot with slide film.

The green cast is from security lights. This was taken by moonlight with the K1000. It's not as long as you think. Only five minutes at f5.6! The moon was 9 days old - two days past first quarter, still five days away from being full. Next time I'm going to shoot at f8, and I'm going to shoot a location without any street lights.

Thanks for playing, and congratulations. You are an astute man. Next time I'll try to come up with something more challenging.
  • 03-06-2004, 10:45 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Boy, I wasn't even close...
    My three questions would have been:

1) What is a fossilized Triceratops eyeball?

2) What is brocolli going down a garbage disposal EXTREMELY fast?

3) What is the back yard of where Michael Jordan grew up in North Carolina?

Now you know why I've never been on the show... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    The wife suggested I post these. I think they're too easy myself, but here goes.

First round is Jeapordy, catagory is What is it?

This is followed by Double Jeapordy, catagory is What is this?

And of course, Final Jeapordy, catagory is What makes this photo unusal?

Remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question.

Good luck, and thank you for playing.

• 03-06-2004, 04:31 PM
    another view
    Astute? How about lucky! I've done a little night photography - first tries were in town with neg film so I thought the color cast looked familiar. Asylum Steve's answers deserve some sort of prize though!
  • 03-06-2004, 05:24 PM
    Speed
    Wow, What Incredible Answers!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    My three questions would have been:

1) What is a fossilized Triceratops eyeball?

2) What is brocolli going down a garbage disposal EXTREMELY fast?

3) What is the back yard of where Michael Jordan grew up in North Carolina?

Now you know why I've never been on the show... :D

I am truly impressed with your answers! You've never been on Jeapordy?! Man, that is truly a shame. What a loss for the American people. You might not win $75,000, but the American people would DEMAND that you be rewarded for your ingenuity!

Thanks for playing Steve, and for brightening up our day! :-)
  • 03-06-2004, 05:40 PM
    Speed
    Astute?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Astute? How about lucky! I've done a little night photography - first tries were in town with neg film so I thought the color cast looked familiar. Asylum Steve's answers deserve some sort of prize though!

Yes, astute! As in intelligent, logical, problem-solving smart.

The North Star was fairly easy IMHO, but the backyard looks like a daylight scene at a glance. If you look at it for a few seconds, you realize there is a color cast. And you recognized it!

I agree with you about Asylum Steve's answers! They were truly inspired, and an inspiration.

Maybe I should send him 8X10's of the photo's? :-O

4X6's at a minimum! ;-)

He really livens this place up, and I'm glad he's here (and not just hanging out at the Studio and Lighting Forum)!
  • 03-07-2004, 02:39 PM
    I_Fly
    Dang, missed another chance to show off my knowledge, or lack of more likely. However, after seeing Steve's post, I'm definitely going to have to try to get my guesses in first, before he comes in with such obvious answers! :)

Looks like you're having fun with your new toy! Keep 'em coming. Are you excited about having all 5 (I think it was) planets that are visible to the naked eye in view at the same time sometime soon? I don't have the details in front of me but thought that was pretty cool. I've been noticing that Venus is pretty bright lately.
  • 03-07-2004, 06:31 PM
    Speed
    Dang, missed another chance to show off my knowledge
    Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Dang, missed another chance to show off my knowledge, or lack of more likely. However, after seeing Steve's post, I'm definitely going to have to try to get my guesses in first, before he comes in with such obvious answers! :)

Looks like you're having fun with your new toy! Keep 'em coming. Are you excited about having all 5 (I think it was) planets that are visible to the naked eye in view at the same time sometime soon? I don't have the details in front of me but thought that was pretty cool. I've been noticing that Venus is pretty bright lately.

Sorry about that buddy! I didn't get the photo's loaded onto my computer until Friday morning, and I was out all day with the State Engineer. Saturday I was in town, so I stopped by work and put up the post then. Next time I'll make sure I post it early in the week.

Steve definitely wins the greatest answers award! I loved them! :-)

Yes, I am having a blast with my K1000! Funny thing is, I'm doing more everyday shots than I am astronomy with it, do to the cloudy weather here.

Right now, about 7:30 in the evening, you can see four of the five naked eye planets! Venus is the really bright one in the western sky. Mars has dimmed considerably, but it is brighter than anything around it. Saturn is almost directly overhead, and quite bright, right beside Gemini, and Jupiter is the really bright one in the eastern sky.

The night I took the tele-extension moon shots, I took a look at Venus (it in a gibous phase right now), Mars, which is very small right now, and Saturn, which is absolutely spectacular. If you have a telescope, or know someone who does, take a look. Saturn is a spectacular sight even in small telescopes.

I'm hoping for some clear weather so I can get some photo's of Saturn and Jupiter. I can hardly wait! :-)

Thanks for the comments my friend!
  • 03-07-2004, 06:45 PM
    I_Fly
    Oh man, I'd love to see some shots of Saturn, especially. Astronomy was one of the science courses I took to finish up my Bachelor's degree a few years ago. We were able to get on top of one of the taller buildings on campus and use a pretty good sized telescope one evening for a lab project. It was awesome!! Too bad some of my classmates weren't able to appreciate what they were seeing!
  • 03-08-2004, 05:55 AM
    Speed
    1 Attachment(s)
    I'd love to see some shots of Saturn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Oh man, I'd love to see some shots of Saturn, especially. Astronomy was one of the science courses I took to finish up my Bachelor's degree a few years ago. We were able to get on top of one of the taller buildings on campus and use a pretty good sized telescope one evening for a lab project. It was awesome!! Too bad some of my classmates weren't able to appreciate what they were seeing!

I'm going to do my best to get some. I need a clear night, with little or no wind, and a good polar alignment. I've got an idea of how to do it after shooting some shots of Mars last year. Well see how good of a photo I can get. Stay tuned...