ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Photography Based Reality Show?

It had to happen I guess...
    VH1 is doing a photography based "reality show", called "The Shot."
    "Grand prize" is $100K, a spread for Marie Claire, and the opportunity to shot an entire ad campaign for Victoria's Secret.
    What little I watched, errr could stomach it actually, they all seem to be real photographers and not some one with other aspirations.

I am not trying to get down on the show at all, I am just not a fan or "reality television" and I just wanted to share it here.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Photography Based Reality Show?

I agree, that show is very hard to stomach... for the most part. The end of the show where they critique the shoots was actually pretty good. They discussed about watching background items so the models don't hav objects coming out of there heads. In the episode I watched, there were 2 teams of 5 that each had to do a shoot of 5 shots, one shot from each member. 2 of the photographers on one team ended up using the same outfit. Of course they went into that being a no-no for a fashion editorial. So, I would say skip the first 40 minute and the last 10 minutes but, the critique part was actually pretty interesting.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Living in Miami and having been in the media both locally and nationally, I have seen some shooters that are just as big a character as some of the contestants on the show and met plenty that are just hard working stiffs making a living. I constantly lose the remote to my wife and daughter who flood the TV with the likes of Americas's Next Top Model and Project Runway, at least the Shot is someting I can learn from. I think they're lucky that Asylum Steve isn't on, the show would be over in one episode since he would blow them all away. Maybe he can be the head celebrity judge.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

You submit your entry, you giving them the right to use your entry any way they wish forever! (it's about three web pages into the terms of use)
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

i been watching this show since your post. last week with the 3d shoot, man would be nice to have that rig for a bit to play with .... looked like alot of fun ....
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

I watched the one where they had to work with "difficult subjects" First group was a monkey, a camel and a tarantula, they had to draw cards to see what animal they got. Second half of the show was a shoot where they had to include all 5 or 6 models in the photo. They all went home and planned thier themes, got there and all the models were 5 yrs old.

I laughed pretty much the whole show....
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    I think they're lucky that Asylum Steve isn't on, the show would be over in one episode since he would blow them all away...
    Well, thanks for the thought!

I too, normally hate reality shows, and can't watch the "top model" ones for more than a few minutes at a time, mostly because they are not even close to the way this business works in real life.

Still, I like the idea of a photographer's competition, and actually think I would do well, but not just because of any camera or lighting skills.

Thing is I can be quite a character, which on these shows is definitely what you need to be to have a shot at winning.

I would have trouble, though, with the whole melodramatic artificial conflict thing, which is another element most of these shows share. That "in a fishbowl, turn up the pressure to get folks at each other's throats" factor...

That would be tough, as I tend to get along with everyone, even under heavy stress...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I watched the one where they had to work with "difficult subjects" First group was a monkey, a camel and a tarantula, they had to draw cards to see what animal they got. Second half of the show was a shoot where they had to include all 5 or 6 models in the photo. They all went home and planned thier themes, got there and all the models were 5 yrs old.

I laughed pretty much the whole show....
    yes i remember that one - the one group had plans to have the models nude HAHAHA
    and when the girl was moving the lights around for her shot with the spider and never got a shot off during the 10 or 15 minutes she had

the underwater episode was pretty cool too ... they are getting to play with alot of cool stuff and oportunities for trying some different shooting
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Thread Information