ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Angry Photographers Get Slighted, Again!

This annoys me. Instead of a "No Flash" rule, they pass a "No Photography" rule.

Here's a quote from the article: "As a technologically challenged person, I can't figure out how to turn off the flash on my own camera," park Superintendent John Benjamin said Monday.

So because he's an idiot, no one can take photo's?

I'm all for protecting wildlife. I've even taken photo's of leatherback turtles making their way to the ocean. I understand having a no flash rule to prevent harming the wildlife. All I want is some common sense. Oh, wait, this is the Government!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12275177/
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Photographers Get Slighted, Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    So because he's an idiot, no one can take photo's?
    The article seems to say there was already a no flash rule in place, and it was being ignored.

The government isn't the party lacking common sense, it's people who figure the rules don't apply to them.

...it's people who figure the rules don't apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Stiegler
    The article seems to say there was already a no flash rule in place, and it was being ignored.

The government isn't the party lacking common sense, it's people who figure the rules don't apply to them.
    No arguement with that either! I deal with those types every day in my job.

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Digitally Challenged - Bonkers Kaelastreet's Avatar

I have seen some camera users using kit that uses flash automatically in everything except bright sunlight. Its not always their fault, they paid their entrance fee, why can't they take pictures when they can plainly see other folks taking pictures.

Not that I am an advocate, or is that advocaat?

My view, for what it is worth, is expect a few to spoil things for everyone else because administrators often rely on faulty thinking from so called experts. Sorry if you are one, but I understand from experience, most folks have a mind of their own and they will quite happily follow the guy in front, even if stupidity rears and goes unchallenged.

I got a new lens and it seems to kick ***

Kizz

Nothing is ever as it seems to be

You can always go to Austin TX and photograph them right in the middle of town, leaving from underneath the Congress Ave bridge every night from about now thru fall, at dusk. Then stop by Amy's Ice Cream just south of there if you've been good.

It's too bad that idiots make them have to do it, but it looks like they have good reason to make this rule. One person shoots with flash, then other people just figure it's another un-enforced rule and do it too. Probably some people don't think that their flash will go off, but it does. Most people probably didn't understand (or care) why they had the no-flash rule in the first place.

I've photographed Catholic weddings before, been handed an official rule sheet from the church which includes the no-flash rule, and also had that told to me by people officiating at the church (even coming back to the same church, just a reminder...). No problem, I'm ready for it. I just love it when a half-dozen times or so, a guest will stand up and take a flash picture in the middle of the ceremony. With a tiny flash and about a 50' distance, I'd say the results aren't worth the film!

...a guest will stand up and take a flash picture

BTDT!

I ALWAYS ask the minister/pastor/preacher etc. what their policy is on photography in general, and flash photography in particular. As a general rule, I do NOT use flash during a wedding. But it annoys me to see others take photo's during a wedding when flash photography isn't allowed (they didn't bother to ask). It also tickles me to see that most of those are using disposable cameras or a little P&S. Like you said, from 50' it's a waste of film.

I definitely understand that the average joe has no idea if his flash is going to go off or how to turn it off. And I do recognize that it is the unthinking and/or uncaring minority that ruin it for the rest of us. It's just a pity that the rest of us suffer for it.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

....they will quite happily follow the guy in front,

"even if stupidity rears and goes unchallenged."

Unfortunately, you are so right. All it takes is one unthinking/uncaring individual to ruin it for everyone else.

So what new lens did you get?
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    You can always go to Austin TX and photograph them right in the middle of town, leaving from underneath the Congress Ave bridge every night from about now thru fall, at dusk....
    Good idea! I'm still thinking about the "Your Town" photo project, which I didn't participate in, but decided to do on my own anyway. I didn't think to add the bats. I'll have to get to work on that.

I could go on and on about how the few have ruined "it" for the majority. There are so many examples I don't know where to start.

Paul

My Partner bought me a Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 DG. Its huge compared to my other lens's.
    This weekend is going to be interesting as I gave my partner an F1.8 for her Cannon. It sure seems to let in plenty of light and I will be sure to share my results with you all.

Kizz

Speed,

That is definitely a slippery slope there. It's unfortunate that photographers have to suffer from a few people's ignorance, but I guess that's how alot of laws are made.

It may surprise you, but I'm okay with that rule. When I stood among the many thousands of people at the Macy's parad in NYC last year, it would have been easier for everyone to see and enjoy without everyone taking photos and videos. You end up with quite a few elbows in people's noses.

I was front row at a concert last month when the band was doing an encore and everyone was taking pictures with their cellphone cameras -- again getting in the way of the moment.

Also, I went to a college gymnastics meet that allowed cameras and I thought they had it right when the announcer got on the PA before it started and told everyone to take out there cameras and take a picture to make sure they had the flash off. Later, there was a girl on the balance beam and somebody took her picture up close with a flash when she was in the air and it clearly distracted her and she fell off.

What's that got to do with bats? Probably not much, but my point is that IMHO we don't have a consitutionally guaranteed right to take photos. It's too bad the really stupid people ruin it for the just plain s tupid people like me.;)

Remember when cars were few and far between, we didn't need parking restrictions, and some folks parked out of the way, but some just parked in any old place!

Remember when the stands only had rails, because people in those days did not push and shove and cause mayhem, before seating was introduced to limit the capacy and keep spectators safe!

Remember when cars came without seat belts, direction indicators and air conditioning!

Remember when people with camera's at a special function wore a ticket that read 'Press'!

Yeah, society changes, evolves, updates itself and administrators need to introduce rules to keep the majority happy. You may have liked the 'old days', but have you tried buying a car without seat belts, or directional indicators, or tried parking in the middle of the main street?

The rules will change, and for a while, the administrators will get it wrong, and there will be complaints, and the rules will change again, and some folks wont be happy and then we will be hankering after, the good old days....

Kizz

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

its a shame, carlsbad is an extraordinary place. I was actually hoping to go back there at some point with my camera, but no longer I guess. :-/ Stupid people.

Thread Information