Photo survey results

Printable View

• 07-04-2007, 10:01 AM
    RentalInfo
    Photo survey results
    Hi guys-

Sorry it's taken me so long to post these results. But I did promise to post some of them, so here goes....

The good news is that after analyzing everything, we have decided to move forward with the business. We are very excited to get things moving, but are still in the early stages. In order to comply with the terms of service, I'm not going to post the business info here. I'm not here to spam you (as I've said from the beginning). If you would like more information, you can be sure that a PM will be answered promptly!

In no particular order, here are some interesting results from the survey. (In the end, we got nearly 300 responses!)

• 36% of the respondants had 0-3 years of experience, with another 32% having 15+
    • Slightly more than half categorized themselves as "Amateur / Hobbyist", with less than 7% using photography as their primary source of income.
    • "Landscapes" was the most popular subject (64%), with most other subjects hovering in the 20-30% range (remember that you could pick your top 3, so it won't add up to 100%)
    • 88.2% use a DSLR as their primary camera (6 people use digital med format)
    • Canon won the popularity war by a large margin (58%), followed by Nikon (18%), Olympus (11%), and Pentax (5.5%)
    • More than 80% have not rented equipment before, but more than 3 out of 4 said they were open to the idea of renting online
    • Basically no one wants to rent entry-level bodies, and a lot of people want to rent supertelephoto lenses. Oh yeah, most people don't care about on-camera flashguns either.
    • Sigma beat out Nikon for the 2nd most popular "wished for" lens brand (Canon was #1), and Tamron ranked *just* below Nikon
    • The write-in answers for what people thought was a fair 1-week rental price for various items was truly interesting. There were some who clearly were dreaming ($20/week for a 1D mk III?), and then there were others that went well above any prices I've ever seen, online or otherwise ($400/week for a 70-200 f/2.8 stabilized lens...WOW!) To be fair, I imagine it was a wild guess for many people, and was a very clear reminder that this is a relatively new business.
    • "No need" was the most popular response of those who were not open to the idea of renting equipment online
    • Nearly 87% were male
    • The age groups were nearly identical (every category that we offered was within 4% of any of the others)
    • "Some College" or "Bachelor's degree" described more than half of the respondants
    • Alaska, DC, Hawaii, Kentucky, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, and Wyoming were the only states/districts without representation. California was the most popular of the states, but "Other" was the most popular response overall. Just shows the global nature of these forums, eh?
    • Perhaps the funniest write in response to any question was when someone *egregiously* misspelled several words while writing a snide retort to the "Level of education" question. How apropriate, huh?

Thanks again to everyone who helped out by taking the survey and starting good discussions on here. I truly appreciate your help. Those who entered their e-mail addresses should be on the lookout for an e-mail from us. Your reward is coming!

It was a lot of fun looking through these results and seeing what people are (and are not) interested in. Thank you so much!

Best regards,
    Jared