ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Photo Puzzles

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Photo Puzzles

Have any of you had your photos made into a puzzle? I had a request today to have one of my photos turned into a puzzle for a woman to give to her mother as a gift. I have found some sites that will make the photo into a puzzle for around $25-$40 depending on the size you want.

Anyone have any recommendations?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Photo Puzzles

I had a puzzle made with this shot...

...because a co-worker said she thought it looked like a puzzle picture. But it was only about 8x10, so it is pretty much just a novelty, and I ended up putting it in a cheap frame. I found most of the affordable ones were pretty small. My idea was more for using them for small gifts--sort of like business cards, but I've really haven't pursued it much further.

Maybe someone should start a thread of "photos that would make good puzzles"...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

I've never done it, but Mpix seems to have good prices. They say it comes mounted, though, so I guess it's not actually "functional." http://www.mpix.com/Product.aspx/puzzles
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

I have checked out the Mpix puzzles and if this person decides they want to go through with it, I'm hoping I can sell them on that one. The mpix puzzles have a peal away sticky back on them so you can mount them if you want. The one thing I don't like about the mpix puzzles is that they don't come with a box or a photo of the puzzle to help you put it together. Most of the other puzzles I found come in odd sizes so you would have to crop a lot.

www.iprint.com also has some that look ok, and they come with a tin and a photo to reference.

Here is the image this woman was asking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ah, thanks for the info. Let us know how it turns out.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye

My Blog

Now THAT would be a tough puzzle to assemble...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

I emailed the interested woman the other day with some info, but I haven't heard back from her. I wonder if it was the part of the email that said, "as a rule, I don't give away my photos or the high res files" that scared her away.,,
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Funny how that works...

Let us know how it comes out if she goes ahead with it. That one would keep me busy for awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I emailed the interested woman the other day with some info, but I haven't heard back from her. I wonder if it was the part of the email that said, "as a rule, I don't give away my photos or the high res files" that scared her away.,,
    I run into that as well. I will often sell a license to my event photos (basically a download that restricts them to personal use only), but I have to do it very cheaply and even then a lot of people think I'm crazy for even charging for the file. But I'm not going to give away a full res file that someone can make a poster from if they wanted; in fact I think I'm very generous to offer them so cheaply as I do.
    Brad

My Blog

Thread Information