ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photo Goals & Resolutions for the New Year

Last year I bought a digital SLR and made a list of things I wanted to do with my photography. They were not grandiose goals, but they were important to me (and I got them done and felt great afterwards).

This year, I'm preoccupied with other big things in my life, so my goals brainstorming has been foggy.

I'm not feeling very creative and could use some inspiration -- so thought I'd ask everyone here -- what would you like to accomplish photographically for 2005?

The more specific the better (i.e. "shoot 100 portraits of children by June 1st" as opposed to "take more pictures")

Thanks! Oh, and Happy New Year.

Some of My Photographic Goals

This is a great post, Maple Leafy. My photo goals are usually a bit vague. Especially since running this site occupies most of my time. But I am still interested in learning and growing as a photographer, especially professionally. That being the case, here are a few of my vague goals:

1) Acquire new customers for my outdoor photography.

2) Finish 2-3 complete stories for publication.

3) Get published in some different publications.

4) Be more punctual about delivering work.

5) Expand my work into new areas. Specifically, I'd like to be doing more product photography.

How's that? Is that what you had in mind?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nikon Newby

Re: Photo Goals & Resolutions for the New Year

I've only just started so mainly, just figure out what I'm doin, and what all the buttons do on the camera
    But also
    1. I think I'd like to write down the shutter and f stop for the shots that I take so I can look at those with the prints I get back and see how they affect everything.
    2. Get a few shots that I deem worthy of blowing up and/or perhaps giving as gifts.

Ghost

It's a secret. But hopefully I'll open my mouth a few months from now (research to do!)

I suppose the first goal should be to get the camera out again.

The last two years I have been so busy that my photography has been rather limited. Mostly it has been product photography for my business.

From a personal perspective -- since I live away from all of my family a photo a month that I can use to create a calendar for them as part of their Christmas gift would be cool. It would get me thinking of different ways to present CO each month and make sure I have something to send them.

From a business perspective -- I need to aquire some studio lights and learn how to use them for my product photography. Right now I am limited to natural light, which is not bad but it does cause some timing issues when I am on a tight dead line.

BTW... I have not seen a post from Steve Lutz. Where is he now days?

Deborah
    www.TreatsForTroops.com

Steve Lutz hasn't been around here much lately, but I think I saw his name on one of the digital boards.

This is a great topic! I thought about posting something about mine - if I post it then I have to do it because all of you will be on my case if I don't, right? The first thing I'm going to do is to clear out the front room of my house. We don't use it much and it ends up being almost a storage room - but it's about 12' x 14', 9' ceiling, wood floors and lots of windows. Sounds like a great place to shoot, right? Now if I just do something with it... That includes getting rid of stuff, figuring out how to block out those windows when I don't want that light, etc.

I'm also going to start working with strobes - Calumet has a big sale going on this month and I'll get the first one this weekend. When I figure it out to the point that I know what to do with a second, I'll get another. I'm interested in product shots too, but so far the only stuff I've been paid to do is people shots so I'll work on that too.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Learn the EOS 20D and 580 flash so I can operate them without looking (or reading the manual).

Goals: Improve !!
    Reach the dizzy heights of "sticky" in Critique.
    Sell at least one photo in 2005.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thank you everyone who shared your goals. There are great ideas on this post. I enjoyed reading them, and this morning the floodgates opened and I came up with 8 overarching goals for myself for 2005.

I'm *very* excited ... and a little bit scared.
    Here they are:

1. From February 1 to June 30, 2005, earn at least $100 per month off of the sale of my photos (new work -- of a subject and style I enjoy).

2. From July 1 to December 31, earn at least $200 per month off of the sale of my photos. (Again, new work -- of a subject and style I enjoy.)

3. Donate approx. 20 hours of photo-related work to a non-profit organization or cause/individual that I support and believe in.

4. Have at least 5 photos of my own published in print media.

5. Educate myself (for free or less than $100) about photojournalism, specifically the rules and ethics, by

1. Taking a class

2. Reading a book or other body of work

3. Networking with news/media photogs or

4. Attending a workshop/seminar, etc

6. From November 1-15, review and reassess my progress with the intent of using the experience to build a plan for 2006. In 2006, I want to supplement my day-job income by at least 30% with income from photo work.

7. Complete 1 of the 2 historical-photo projects I've been entertaining in the back of my mind (old car/mining town).

8. Be a consistently positive influence for someone I know who has a genuine interest in photography and whose stated goal is to grow either personally or professionally in the field.

Now comes the task list, and figuring out how I'm going to accomplish all of this. Should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah
    From a personal perspective -- since I live away from all of my family a photo a month that I can use to create a calendar for them as part of their Christmas gift would be cool. It would get me thinking of different ways to present CO each month and make sure I have something to send them.
    Deborah, I especially like the calendar idea. Let me know if you need a hiking/snowshoeing buddy to get out into the mountains and help you accomplish this goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    It's a secret. But hopefully I'll open my mouth a few months from now (research to do!)
    Ooh. A secret. Everyone loves secrets. Can you give us a vague hint?

Wow!

That's a very concrete, ambitious, and achievable list of goals. I'm impressed and and inspired. I'm always nervous about commiting to my photo goals. Especially when I'm so buys running my Web sites. But I like your style. The way you've planned and structured your goals is excellent.

Thanks again for this post. I think it's very useful and one of the more original and constructive posts I've seen for a while. I'm not usually very interested in technical photography advice. But goals and planning are something completely different. I'm terrible at that stuff.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Some of My Photographic Goals

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    This is a great post, Maple Leafy. My photo goals are usually a bit vague. Especially since running this site occupies most of my time. But I am still interested in learning and growing as a photographer, especially professionally. That being the case, here are a few of my vague goals:

2) Finish 2-3 complete stories for publication.

3) Get published in some different publications.

5) Expand my work into new areas. Specifically, I'd like to be doing more product photography.

How's that? Is that what you had in mind?
    Excellent. Those are very good.

Can you tweak them to be a little more specific by quantifying and putting deadlines on a couple of them?

For example your goal was:

How many new customers by the end of the month/quarter/year would you like to have?
    It's important to be specific so you know when you are hitting your mark.

Another goal was
    It's also important to come up with a feasible deadline.

Given your weekly schedule and workload, what is a *realistic* turn-around time for delivering work to clients?

Can you find the digital file, photoShop it, deliver it to a lab, pick up the print, package it and be standing in line at the post office with it ready to mail ... within 24 hours of receiving an order (ha!)? 48? 72? Within 7 days of receiving an order?

The artist in you will resist this part of goal-setting, but the businessman in you will appreciate it.

PS I'm not "Leafy", I'm "Girlie". ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by maplegirlie
    Deborah, I especially like the calendar idea. Let me know if you need a hiking/snowshoeing buddy to get out into the mountains and help you accomplish this goal.

I will keep that offer in mind. Thanks.
    www.TreatsForTroops.com

Liz

My Goals and........Welcome back Deborah!

First - Deborah - I just had to break in and say - it's so good to have you around again!

Photography Goal:

I have one goal. One Biggie! This is because I have gone months without pressing that shutter button at times this past year - and I NEED to concretely put photography back in my life again!

SCHEDULE 1/2 day a week to work on my Photography.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah
    I will keep that offer in mind. Thanks.

Ghost

Ooh. A secret. Everyone loves secrets. Can you give us a vague hint?
    Well, it's a business idea but I'm not yet sure if it's a good business idea

If I were to set one measurable goal for the coming months it would be to have a business plan thought out and documented. I think the end of February would be a reasonable goal for this. The problem I have is that I'm also job hunting so I have a difficult time putting the business research in front of getting a full time job. For now, in between job hunting work I'm studying business and working on my idea. I've got a lot to learn as I have no prior business experience.

So, business plan by end of February or bust! There, now I've committed to something

Last year & this year

Last year I bought a digital SLR and made a list of things I wanted to do with my photography. They were not grandiose goals, but they were important to me (and I got them done and felt great afterwards).

This year, I'm preoccupied with other big things in my life, so my goals brainstorming has been foggy.

I'm not feeling very creative and could use some inspiration -- so thought I'd ask everyone here -- what would you like to accomplish photographically for 2005?

The more specific the better (i.e. "shoot 100 portraits of children by June 1st" as opposed to "take more pictures")

Last year's resolution was "Shoot more black & white". I realised that much of the colour that I do is irrelevant and I'm actually much better at telling stories in black and white. So I did that and it worked out just fine.

This year - well I suppose I'd better learn how to use the D70 a bit and not just use it for events for other people where to some extent I leave the camera + flash to sort it out. Maybe learn advanced RAW techniques, but I wonder how relevant this will be in a few years when sensors have wider dynamic range (example: Fuji Finepix S3).

Oh and keep shooting film for the things that it does well, but that's obvious.

Charles

Find clients for my surfing and possibly skimboarding pictures

Get paid for my contributions to an online skimboarding mag.

Get a job at my university's newspaper shooting photos.

Well, it's a business idea but I'm not yet sure if it's a good business idea

If I were to set one measurable goal for the coming months it would be to have a business plan thought out and documented. I think the end of February would be a reasonable goal for this. The problem I have is that I'm also job hunting so I have a difficult time putting the business research in front of getting a full time job. For now, in between job hunting work I'm studying business and working on my idea. I've got a lot to learn as I have no prior business experience.

So, business plan by end of February or bust! There, now I've committed to something
    Excellent! And very ambitious!

(I was scared away from writing a serious business plan after talking to someone at the Small Business Administration in my town. SBA wanted a *lot* of money for a course and it sounded like a long, intense process that would not fit into my schedule since I also was working full time.)

I wish you much luck with both the job hunt and the biz plan. Both are major endeavors.

Is the end of February a feasible goal? That seems so close. How will you prevent the job search from taking up all of your time?

Would it be more realistic to state the goal like "work on business plan for X hours per day and for X days per week until complete (preferably by end of Feb. but certainly by end of 2005)" ?

Again, good luck! I'll be interested to hear how the process goes.

Ghost

Thanks for the support maplegirlie,

I'm not actually doing things as formal as that for a few good reasons that I won't bore you with. But I know what you're saying!!!

Don't give me so much credit!

Thanks for the support maplegirlie,

I'm not actually doing things as formal as that for a few good reasons that I won't bore you with. But I know what you're saying!!!

Don't give me so much credit!
    When you complete the process, will you start a post about the general steps you took to research, etc.?

I'm curious and would like to learn more from your experience.

BTW, I apologize for sounding like a busy-body know-it-all. I didn't mean to come across that way, but I think I did and now I'm a little embarrassed.

Also, I was recently emancipated from my job (laid off) so I can relate to the job hunt situation. Exciting and scary all rolled into one.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Great Thread!

Great Thread!
    Have we ever had one of these before?

Mine?
    Shoot more of course.
    Read a few photo books, I got myself one for Chrisatmas called, "On Being A Photographer"
    Exhibit my work, start with a few images at a coffee shop or something.
    Continue to be published.
    Extend my vision.
    Be a good community member here, be more involved here, give better critiques, be a better moderator.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Talking Re: Photo Goals & Resolutions for the New Year

Dear maplegirlie,

An excellent question! Also a rather sticky one in my case, as I am not a goal orientated person at all . So, I shall set a goal to make some goals for this year ;) ! But in another way, I enjoy the process of photography, and exploring it as a subject, without trying to "limit" myself with goals. But goals are good. For a rough start, here we go:

1. Finish the photography class I am taking now ("Introduction to Black and White Photography"), and enjoy it as well

2. Possibly acquire Photoshop Elements (as Photoshop CS is out of my price range )

3. Fully explore the possibilities of Velvia

4. Start to develop my own black and white film (more an economic reason than anything else, processing them myself is much cheaper)

and finally,
    5. Not lose my passion for photography

If nothing else, the last resolution is perhaps the most important to me. Thanks for goading such an non goal person like me into making some definite goals for this year!

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

drg

Was surprised to read that SBA wanted to charge you money for classes. They've ALWAYS provided huge amounts of free information and training and low/no cost loans to entreprenurial and small business.

They have been known to partner with Incubator projects, but those any cost has gone towards the actual services you recieve (like utilities, shared loading docks/postal service, certainly rent and so on).

Check out SCORE (Service Core of Retired Executives, I've done this from both sides) to get truly good freed assistance. Below is SBA's web site. Please notice the number of things posted as free. If you have a different experience I'd like to know more. After all, it all of our tax dollars at work.

CDP

http://www.sba.gov/

This is a great post!
    For me, a few glaring resolutions come to mind

1) Shoot more worthwhile photos.
    2) Work on my composition and lighting a bit more
    3) Figure out why it seems like I took better pictures with my Rebel than I am with my Elan 7NE
    4) Try to sell a couple of my photos/submit a few for publication.

I have been working on #'s 1 and 2 for some time now, and I've been talking about #4 without making an effort. I think its time to maybe exhibit at local coffee shops and see how it goes.

-Chris

Ranter and raver.

I was actually thinking about this the other day!

1. Take photos everyday. I know this sounds basic but between school full time and work full time, it's not rare for me to look down at my camera and realize that I haven't picked it up in a week - especially in the winter when I leave in the dark and come home in the dark days, even on days that I don't have class.

2. Post a set to the photolog every week beginning the first week of February.

3. More street photography. I began taking pictures because I wanted to show the world what I saw, not because I wanted to produce postcards. I need to get back there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information