Perkins Point, N.Y.

Printable View

• 10-17-2004, 03:03 PM
    gahspidy
    3 Attachment(s)
    Perkins Point, N.Y.
    Hey All,
    Just a few pics from a place near Bear Mountain that is one of the highest elevations in the area. Overlooks the Hudson River Valley. The boy on the rock is my son Kyle, who was with me that day and had a good time viewing the sights and being mischievous.
    Btw, I met Trevor Ash's Mr. Know-it-All. As I was waiting behing my camera set up on its tripod for the sun to pop through the clouds, Mr. Know -it-All comes up behind me and says "Are you using the correct mode"? in a tone of voice indicating that only he could know the "correct mode". I said sure, I use apperture priority. . most of the time. "NO" he says. "You must set it up into landscape program and the camera will engage Hyperfocus. I know, I have the same camera" " Thats OK, I have my own technique" I tell him. "Oh yeah, what are you doing?" he says. I tell him that since I am including some big rocks in the foreground just beyond where my son is in the shot I am focusing just beyond my son and setting an apperture of f16-22. " OK, you don't want to listen to me!" and he storms off. Then he comes back and says, " Read up on your manual, and learn about HyperFocus" Yes Sir!! OK Sir!! oh brother.
    Anyway, aside from meeting that guy, we had a great day there. . .and will be going back next week as the colors should be fiery by then.
  • 10-17-2004, 03:26 PM
    Hindey
    Re: Perkins Point, N.Y.
    Nice pictures. About Mr-Know-It-All, when a friend and myself were taking some pictures over the weekend we had a couple (at 1am!) come over to use and ask what we were doing. They always shot in film and wanted to have a look at our digital cameras. They seemed impressed even though they weren't even SLRs! I guess my point is that some people who show an interested are just genuinely interested...

Chris
  • 10-17-2004, 03:37 PM
    Steph_B
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I said sure, I use apperture priority. . most of the time. I tell him that since I am including some big rocks in the foreground just beyond where my son is in the shot I am focusing just beyond my son and setting an apperture of f16-22.

You shoot Aperture priority??? *Gasp* :eek:

Trust me, you should do like I do: always shoot in full manual mode! You'll have SO much more control!

Ha Ha Ha... :D
  • 10-17-2004, 05:45 PM
    Trevor Ash
    lol, nice story :)

I sometimes wonder how much of people like that are just a "man" thing.

Hyperfocus? Humbug!!!
  • 10-17-2004, 06:14 PM
    gahspidy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    lol, nice story :)

I sometimes wonder how much of people like that are just a "man" thing.

Hyperfocus? Humbug!!!

You could be right. This was definetely not a matter of someone just being interested. I work in N.Y.C. dealing with hundreds of people daily, and I've never come across a guy like this. He basically said that I was not doing it correctly and should dpo it his way. When I told him how I was doing it,( in a very polite and tactful manner) he tells me Fine goodbye you dont want to listen to me . Read up on my manual. And then left. And I'm sitting there thinking " did this really just happen? who the hell is that guy. Landscape Mode. The guy reads his cameras manual and suddenly he is an experienced photographer. HyperFocus. . .sounds like a good marketing terminology. " My camera has HyperFocus. . does yours?!! No! But I have Turbo Zoom and SUPER HYPER frame advance HAH!!!
  • 10-17-2004, 07:11 PM
    Nina
    I agree with you Gary. He had no interest in what you were doing and wasn't even open enough to listen to you or maybe try to learn something different.
    I did want to say that the pictures look really great, and I especially like the one with Kyle in it. The scene is so alive and dramatic. Kyle looks so natural and you captured him taking the whole scene in. I love it.
    Can't wait to go there myself, soon...
  • 10-18-2004, 05:30 AM
    paulnj
    put bluntly..... F him , because you did great!

LANDSCAPE MODE...... You should have told him to go back and learn HOW to operate a SLR!

ANY person can set that on a $70 P$S film camera and be a PRO......... HAHAHA
  • 10-18-2004, 07:56 AM
    gahspidy
    Thanks Nina, it is difficult getting Kyle in a natural looking feel as he is always about. glad you liked the pics.
    Paulnj. . .lol I like your style. My sentiments exactly!. btw, I checked my manual because i was curious to see if Canon called setting a small aperture and focusing to infinity (which is what would take place in Landscape mode) " Hyperfocus". and there is no such terminology in my manual. So, he must NOT have had the same camera (thankgoodness). But now I'm so bummed, having thought i had a good camera, only to find out i don't have Hyper focus I'M OUTRAGED ;)