ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Question Buying expired film

What are your thoughts on buying expired film? I found 4 boxes of Kodak Tri-x for pretty cheap, but it expired 6/88. Seller claims the film has been refrigerated ever since it was new. Is this something that a b/w beginner could make good use of or should film this old be avoided like the plauge?

Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Buying expired film

If you knew it was refridgerated since new it should be OK. Even though it's from '88 b&w shouldn't have any really serious problems, but best if frozen if you're not going to use it for a long time. I wouldn't use it for 16x20 prints of an important subject though!

I'd probably avoid it though - if you're trying to get the hang of developing then you're throwing in one more variable (was it a problem with the developing or is it bad film?). On the other hand, if I already had it I probably wouldn't hesitate using it - but would try it out first on something not important.

A couple/few years ago, Tri-X was reformulated. The developing times are slightly different, so go by the chart in the box instead of current info on Tri-X.

It depends... (Hows that for an answer) on a few things. How cheap it was and what you would use it for. Expired film is more critical for color film for you get color shifts which wouldn't be as much of a problem for silver based film. But no matter how cold the film was stored it is still exposed to radiation which over time will tend to fog the film. That means the clear base may have a slightly higher density. This shouldn't be a problem as this can be compensated for in printing.

So if the price is cheap enough you could shoot something unimportant with the first roll, or just part of the roll developer it and see how it comes out. The advise about being the older formulation is true as the current times have changed slightly. You can find the old times on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    It depends... (Hows that for an answer) on a few things. How cheap it was and what you would use it for. Expired film is more critical for color film for you get color shifts which wouldn't be as much of a problem for silver based film. But no matter how cold the film was stored it is still exposed to radiation which over time will tend to fog the film. That means the clear base may have a slightly higher density. This shouldn't be a problem as this can be compensated for in printing.

So if the price is cheap enough you could shoot something unimportant with the first roll, or just part of the roll developer it and see how it comes out. The advise about being the older formulation is true as the current times have changed slightly. You can find the old times on the internet.

The price for the film right now is about $36. That includes shipping. Here is what the seller has to say about it. "These boxes have been refrigerated (not frozen) since they were purchased in the mid-1980. I know this because I remember when they were ordered and placed in a refrigerator in the shop. No exposure to gamma rays or other obvious radiation sources. " I think I will will pass on this film. Thanks to everyone for the great info!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Is that only four rolls for $36? You can buy new rolls for $5 or so each. If those are four bricks it might be worth the risk. How many rolls are we talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    Is that only four rolls for $36? You can buy new rolls for $5 or so each. If those are four bricks it might be worth the risk. How many rolls are we talking about.

It's bulk film. 4-100' rolls, ISO 400. I just orderd a roll from B&H last night for about the same price so I figured it was a great price. I just didn't know what to expect form film that has been sitting in a fridge for the last 16 years. Maybe I will reconsider it and if it stays cheap, go for it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information