ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Own Digital but still use film?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • So I can use my Wide angle lens

7 24.14%
  • For Medium/Large format

10 34.48%
  • For B&W

17 58.62%
  • For Slides

11 37.93%
  • when away long periods of time away from sources of electric, extreme conditions or when in a bad area when I want somting less expensive round my neck!

6 20.69%
  • Like printing in the darkroom

2 6.90%
  • For small compact cameras

2 6.90%
  • So I can still use my Classic cameras

11 37.93%
  • Very long exposures.

4 13.79%
  • Other

15 51.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Duplicating Film Grain

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Steve-
    Have you checked out any of the film grain replicating plug-ins?
    Alien Skin's Exposure 2 does a pretty good job for replicating film styles and grain.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: Own digital but still use film?

Where's the "All of the Above" button? Actually, I don't use "med/large format" and I'm not currently "printing in the darkroom," but if this poll comes back up in another three years, that might be different. Here are my biggest reasons for preferring film, at the moment, several of which fall into the "other" category:

1. My favorite type of camera is a rangefinder, but I'm not about to spend $5K on an M8.
    2. I like wide to normal prime lenses and I'm not impressed by the offerings of the major manufacturers; I think they're too big and they're overpriced.
    3. I like the look of film, both color slides (Velvia, Astia, Sensia) and B&W (tonality, not just the grain).
    4. I like developing my own B&W film because I can get the look I want and because it's fun.
    5. I like to shoot with manual focus cameras and that's hard to do with tiny crop sensor viewfinders.
    6. I think the limits imposed by film (and using manual focus cameras) force me to be more contemplative before I push the shutter and this improves my photography.

BTW, I just bought my second DSLR. I think it is a big improvement over my first one and this time I'm committed to putting more time into learning the editing tools so that I might get closer to the look I want. I might even try Exposure or some other film simulator, for the color and tones, not for the grain. I plan to try using this new camera for landscapes, possibly even stitching to make large files. I'll also use it every time a friend asks me to take photos of their kids or at an event, because I'm tired of being a slave to my film backlog. But, I see no end in sight for shooting B&W film in my rangefinder. I just got a bulk loader and I'll fill my freezer full of 100 foot rolls if it comes to that.

Paul

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

I picked other. As it tends to be disposable film camera when I go rock climbing. Though the last time I went, I did take my smaller Sony P&S. Though haven't gone climbing for a couple years since I headed back to school. I'm divided if I would take my dSLR up there with me..

Damn tempting though!

Cheers,
    Greg
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

I sometimes but rarely use it now for Infrared. Started to use the Canon 5D for that as well now. So the film stuff including enlarger have been packed away in the loft.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I bought a DSLR first then got a film slr. I like the film because it is the roots of photography. I takes skill to use a film SLR. Unlike the DSLR, it requires some thought before shooting. Film costs money but digital space is free.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

I still shoot 35mm, medium format (645), and large format (4x5)... I tend to use the film to slow down... meaning I love going out and shooting a whole day of digital... but I also like to take a day and leave the digital home... and shoot 30 shots (2 rolls) of medium format... it makes you really slow down and remember to use composition and proper settings...
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information