• 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
    Photo-John
    Which Store?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    Fantastic Post. Got friends that run a tourist trap store in Ouray. One of my closest friends busted his back above Silverton skiing. We're not too used to Colorado's powder. Made for a rough awakening. He's a little messed up but up and running good again. Anyway, loved the pictures and I think the rain actually helped bring out the color there.

Which store? I think we went in almost all of them. As far as tourist stores, go, Ouray's not so bad. There's actually a lot of nice art for sale in the stores in town.

I haven't skied Colorado. But I've skied a bit in Utah and I'm not even interested in skiing in California. I'd rather make the trip to Utah :rolleyes:

Glad you like the photos. We were prepared for rain so hiking and shooting were fine. And I was excited about the weather. It made more much more interesting photos, in my opinion.
  • 09-14-2006, 06:57 PM
    darkman
    Re: Which Store?
    Speaking of stores, in the shot of silverton - the angled one - the powder blue building way down the road is my in-laws pie shop.

Mike
  • 09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
    Photo-John
    No way!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darkman
    Speaking of stores, in the shot of silverton - the angled one - the powder blue building way down the road is my in-laws pie shop.

Small world, huh?! Relations in Ouray and Silverton. Those are not towns I'd expect people on this site to have ties. If you go to Silverton, try the Pride of the West restaurant. They have truly awesome smoked meat. It's making my mouth water just thinking about it.

So I'm working my way towards Albuquerque. In a couple more years I'll make it to the border of New Mexico :rolleyes: :D
  • 09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
    darkman
    Re: No way!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Small world, huh?! Relations in Ouray and Silverton. Those are not towns I'd expect people on this site to have ties. If you go to Silverton, try the Pride of the West restaurant. They have truly awesome smoked meat. It's making my mouth water just thinking about it.

So I'm working my way towards Albuquerque. In a couple more years I'll make it to the border of New Mexico :rolleyes: :D

The pickle barrel is pretty good too. The in-laws rent a place in silverton in the summer but have a house in durango. If you went to the start of the colorado trail you probably drove right by it.

You know, I haven't been to SJ since the last time I saw you a couple (or 3?) years ago. I'm sure being in SJ you know how tight the industry has become ($200+ rooms are now $89!).

Speaking of people from ABQ, I still need to get my pentax spotmeter V back from Brian! Maybe when he passes through to pheonix. LOL!

Mike
  • 09-14-2006, 07:50 PM
    walterick
    Re: Ouray, Colorado - San Juan Mtns.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I expect that cheap food sucks in Telluride.

There is no cheap food in Telluride :D If you remember where you ate, please tell me! We have tried several restaurants and been merely satisfied at best.

I pulled a couple of real estate fliers last time. One of those narrow little Victorians goes for $2,000,000. So yeah, I can see people getting priced out :rolleyes:
  • 09-14-2006, 07:53 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    But, I don't know if I would buy Chinese food in a small mountain town in Co.

Yeah, but how do you screw up miso soup?? It's miso soup! Anyway, never again!
  • 09-17-2006, 04:12 AM
    Acadian
    Awesome post and amazing pics PJ!! Thanks for sharing...the pics make me wish I was there – although it’s a bit wet for my taste ;)
  • 09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
    photo-mom
    overwhelming mountains . . . one forgets - it's my home state . . . grew up in Fort Collins - photo-mom (in sunny California . . . almost always sunny . . . )
  • 09-22-2006, 10:59 PM
    katz201
    Fantastic pics John!!

I just can't wait to go hiking with my new baby!!!