• 05-31-2004, 11:28 AM
    Kokopeli
    Official Yosemite Gathering Photos
    Hi everyone,

I see Schrackman made it home before the rest of us and was able to beat us to the punch.. Bad Ray, Bad! ;)

I thought I would make it easy on everyone and start the "Official" picture posting thread for the Yosemite Gathering. Since Ray has already posted some images, I'll add links to his threads below. From here on out though, let's try and keep this as the official thread. Seeing as how Ray has already posted the BEST image any of us managed (see Pic #1 in his "Yosemite pics #2" thread) I won't even bother embarrassing myself by posting any of my rubbish. Aww, who am I kidding.. I'll share a few of my better ones from the trash heap..

Here are the links to Schrackman's threads:

First of Yosemite pics...
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=2872

Yosemite pics #2
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=2876

All in all, this was a great trip and my sons and I had a fantastic time. I want to thank Ray, his lovely wife Claudia, Gene and Penny for making this Gathering something to remember. The four of you truly are amazing people and I wish you all the best. Thanks to you all and God Bless!

Now, bring 'em on!
    ~Brian

((Charles/Liz, if you don't mind, you can remove the old "Yosemite Gathering" from the Sticky list and would you please Sticky-ify this thread for us? We'd really appreciate it.))
  • 05-31-2004, 12:52 PM
    Kokopeli
    4 Attachment(s)
    Not bad for rubbish: Take One
    #1 - People viewing Half Dome (From Glacier Point)
    #2 - Half Dome (From Glacier Point)
    #3 - View from Washburn Point
    #4 - The Valley Below (Glacier Point)
  • 05-31-2004, 02:10 PM
    Kokopeli
    4 Attachment(s)
    Not bad for rubbish: Take Two
    #1 - A Dogwood Bloom from a small grove of dogwoods along the road up to Glacier Point

#2 - The Famous El Capitan

#3 - Reflections from a pond found along the Tioga Pass Road (120)

#4 - Same as #3, but a different angle and an addition of a foreground element.

Which do you like better, #3 or #4?
  • 05-31-2004, 03:53 PM
    Spike
    Ooooh
    Very nice rubish! LOL

Spike
  • 05-31-2004, 05:39 PM
    Kokopeli
    One man's trash...
    Glad you like the first two installments Spike. There's more to come. :)

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
    ~Brian
  • 05-31-2004, 05:53 PM
    Liz
    OK ......gotcha......Stuck!
    Hi Brian -
    I already did it before I read your post! ;)

Thanks for the "official Yosemite Post with Pics" and I'm enjoying your trip.........and looking forward to more pics..................from all of ya!

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Hi everyone,

((Charles/Liz, if you don't mind, you can remove the old "Yosemite Gathering" from the Sticky list and would you please Sticky-ify this thread for us? We'd really appreciate it.))

• 05-31-2004, 05:57 PM
    Liz
    Awesome!
    Brian,
    All of these photos are absolutely stunning! It makes me want to get on a plane asap to Yosemite. I was there about 25 years ago...........and don't remember it being this awesome.

Between 3 & 4 I think #3.....or maybe #4. I can't decide. They're both great composition and excellent color/contrast. The reflections are beautiful. I love the mountains......and everything else as a matter of fact. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Liz
  • 05-31-2004, 09:11 PM
    Kokopeli
    Thanks Liz
    Having this as a sticky thread will make things a lot easier.

Also, thank you for your kind words about my photography. They mean a lot to me.
    ~Brian
  • 06-01-2004, 04:39 AM
    Liz
    Yosemite
    Wow. You certainly got some beautiful images. Thanks for posting the "people" pics, as this makes it real. I can't believe the beauty of Yosemite. I was there a very long time ago and this makes me want to go again.........someday :rolleyes:

Congratulations on having such a wonderful trip. Please keep posting your pics.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Yosemite -- In All Her Glory:

• 06-01-2004, 07:36 AM
    schrackman
    1 Attachment(s)
    Great photos all around!!
    Brian and Penny, these are wonderful photos. I sure do wish Claudia and I could have spent the next two days with you all. The trip home down Tioga Pass was equally stunning, and we finally got home about 1:30 pm!!

Penny, I don't know where you got the idea Brian's boys are perfect gentlemen. Perhaps if you'd spent the night with them tootin' in your room you'd think otherwise, LOL...no, seriously, they are great boys and I had a blast with them and their dad. Sure hope we can see them again real soon.

Well, here's one more photo...Yosemite Falls. I'll post a couple more tonight, including a collage of individual photos of all seven of us, when I get home from work.

Ray
  • 06-01-2004, 09:25 PM
    schrackman
    3 Attachment(s)
    A few more off the roe digital roll...
    I need to thank Penny and Gene for lending me a 256mb card. I didn't realize how quick I'd fill up my measley 128mb card, and if it hadn't been for them I wouldn't have half the shots I took. Lesson learned: you can never bring enough memory with you on a trip like this!! And if you don't bring enough memory, then be sure to at least bring the Bowhays! :)

#1 My attempt (and not a very good one) at Ansel Adams' El Capitan. He took a shot just like this but he included some water from the merced river at the bottom of the frame. Not much has changed since he took his picture except for the fact that a few trees got taller and some have fallen. I have to admit, though, I blended in the clouds from another picture. It looked just a bit too drab in b/w with an empty sky.

#2 This was my first view from Glacier Point. My eyes nearly about bugged out of their sockets when I took my first look. It really was that breathtaking. All I could think of was that God did a pretty spectacular job here.

#3 More fun pics of our crazy little group.

Ray
  • 06-01-2004, 09:54 PM
    coloradoamigo
    Fantastic Shots!!
    All of them. Keep posting!!! I'll show these to my wife and maybe when we go to Tahoe at the end of the month I can talk her into taking the 3 hour drive over to Yosemite.

Great shots everyone!!
    Brian
  • 06-01-2004, 11:14 PM
    Kokopeli
    4 Attachment(s)
    A few of Ray
    #1 - Ray as he sets up his first shot at Glacier Point.

#2 - The little spot in the lower left corner is Ray shooting some flowers in the middle of the marsh.

#3 - The obligatory Ray taking a picture of me taking a picture of Ray...

#4 - Ray's lovely wife Claudia. (And the big red truck providing the backdrop is mine.:) )
  • 06-01-2004, 11:31 PM
    Kokopeli
    4 Attachment(s)
    The Bowhays
    A few shots of Penny and Gene.. I'll let y'all figure out which one's which. :p

#1 - Don't you hate it when people walk into your photos? ;) Just kidding.. I shot this one from the hip so I really didn't know what I would come up with..

#4 - Gene and Ray.
  • 06-01-2004, 11:49 PM
    Kokopeli
    4 Attachment(s)
    The Rugrats
    #1 - From L to R Keith, Terrence, Tim.

#2 - Gene and Penny's Grandson Terrence... Let me tell you, this kid is as sharp as a tack and he was pretty funny as well. And the Bowhays aren't proud of him at all!

#3 - Keith skipping rocks.

#4 - Tim (I was screwing around with backlighting and fill flash with this one.)
  • 06-02-2004, 04:57 AM
    natatbeach
    So far the one I like
    the best---jealous of all of you but glad you got to have such a wonderful time... your grandson is a cutie ( I thought he was Ray's he looks like he could be.)

More MOre More...and I love the one of Brian's son in the field...

and I like...
  • 06-02-2004, 04:58 AM
    b_slow
    Very cool
    Looks like you all had a really good time, and your photos do a good job of conveying that. Wish I could have been there! But I've got to make one of the Chicago gatherings one of these years first!

Gene, that furry guy on the rocks is a marmot. Did you see any pikas? They're also little furry guys, about baseball-size- really funny to watch.

Thanks again for the virtual photo gathering.
  • 06-02-2004, 04:59 AM
    natatbeach
    the third piece of rubbish I like because it appears like there was a rainbow of sorts in the lright hand side kinda unexpected and cool...

you and your boys are cuties and I was glad to see that you guys had a good time.
  • 06-02-2004, 05:01 AM
    natatbeach
    #3 well maybe #4 well maybe 3 well....

It's amazing what a shift in position and including foreground does (or doesn't do) I prefer three but the cloud reflections in 4 are awesome but then again...

:D I just likie
  • 06-02-2004, 05:02 AM
    natatbeach
    great shot
    it really helps everyone over here feel the grandness of Yosemite
  • 06-02-2004, 05:06 AM
    natatbeach
    I wish I could have met you and your wife and Brian and his boys

I love this photo montage or is it a collage? anyway the one where you said you didn't get the glow quite right (are you kidding me?) was beautiful

but my fav is the one of you and Carla sitting on the grass...lovely/relaxed

Glad you had fun
  • 06-02-2004, 05:08 AM
    natatbeach
    the first mountain shot
    is so cool...when I first scrolled down to it on my monitor and the the face of the mountain---it looked like a piece of crumpled paper that's amazing...and then you catch the smallest glimpse of the tiny climber...very cool Gene...let's see more from the Bowhays don't hold back!
  • 06-02-2004, 07:47 AM
    schrackman
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks Nat!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I wish I could have met you and your wife and Brian and his boys

I love this photo montage or is it a collage? anyway the one where you said you didn't get the glow quite right (are you kidding me?) was beautiful

but my fav is the one of you and Carla sitting on the grass...lovely/relaxed

Glad you had fun

Maybe next year you can get yourself out here for another Yosemite outing. Would love to have you and your husband come to California with your boys. You would definitely enjoy yourselves, I promise. As for the picture of Claudia and myself, I couldn't resist with that backdrop! This is the perfect place for portraits, that's for sure.

Here's one more quick photo I took of what I believe is an incense cedar tree. Could be wrong, as there are about 11 different species of conifer in the park. I wasn't sure of the comp on this one but I'll throw it in anyways.

Ray
  • 06-02-2004, 08:28 AM
    Kokopeli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genebowhay
    The small animal in the rocks is called a "_______" I don't remember -- Brian, Ray, do you guys remember?

It's a marmot (or is it marmott??). I have a couple of this cute little bugger too. I'll try and post one tonight when I get home as well as a few of my deer photos.

Keep 'em comin' guys!
    ~Brian
  • 06-02-2004, 07:41 PM
    Photo-John
    Great weather!
    You guys got the best weather for taking pictures of Half Dome. I love the clouds! They're so much better than a boring, solid blue sky. Everyones photos from this point have serious mood. I love them!
  • 06-02-2004, 08:13 PM
    kkraczek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by prbowhay
    when you see Half-Dome from Washburn Point and you have a camera in your hands, you can't help yourself.

Done to death? Not... every photo of Half Dome that I have seen from your group has been stunning! They just take my breath away. :) Thanks for sharing!
  • 06-02-2004, 08:43 PM
    schrackman
    1 Attachment(s)
    I believe the correct spelling is [i]marmot[/i], Brian
    And here's the cute little critter again, which at first glance thought was a small porcupine, then a woodchuck, but Brian corrected me and rightly identified as a marmot.

Ray
  • 06-02-2004, 09:25 PM
    schrackman
    3 Attachment(s)
    Oh, and Brian...
    I thoroughly enjoyed your "Ray" series, so much so that you've inspired me to do a "Brian" series as well. :) So here you go folks...enjoy.

Ray

#1 Kokopeli caught off guard at Glacier Point...but a perfect exposure nonetheless, dont'cha think?

#2 Like a true nature photographer, he inches his way ever so stealthily toward his target to get the close-up shot.

#3 Brian cooling off in the Merced River. Not sure what he's pointing to, though...perhaps he can tell us.

Ray
  • 06-03-2004, 12:04 AM
    Kokopeli
    4 Attachment(s)
    Gee.. Thanks Buddy...
    I hope I don't get blamed for crashing the internet with my likeness.. LOL..

At least you are somewhat photogenic! I've got to admit, this is probably the most photos I've had taken of me within the past 10 years..

You might want to get your camera in for a check-up Ray. ;)

Since I'm here, I may as well post a couple critter photos...

#1 - The fuzzy little marmot.

#2 - 4 Shots of the deer (plural) that I was able to ease up on... I shot over 40 shots of these beautiful creatures, these three are a few of my favorites.
  • 06-04-2004, 07:18 AM
    schrackman
    1 Attachment(s)
    Oooh, I like those deer shots...
    especially the last one. That's the look a hunter sees through his scope right before he pulls the trigger, lol.

I'll throw one more photo into the mix. This was taken at Tuolomne meadows, almost the same position as when I took the group photo. I managed to get a bit of the moon on this shot.

Ray
  • 07-09-2004, 07:38 PM
    quietlightphoto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Hi everyone,

I see Schrackman made it home before the rest of us and was able to beat us to the punch.. Bad Ray, Bad! ;)

I thought I would make it easy on everyone and start the "Official" picture posting thread for the Yosemite Gathering. Since Ray has already posted some images, I'll add links to his threads below. From here on out though, let's try and keep this as the official thread. Seeing as how Ray has already posted the BEST image any of us managed (see Pic #1 in his "Yosemite pics #2" thread) I won't even bother embarrassing myself by posting any of my rubbish. Aww, who am I kidding.. I'll share a few of my better ones from the trash heap..

Here are the links to Schrackman's threads:

First of Yosemite pics...
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=2872

Yosemite pics #2
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=2876

All in all, this was a great trip and my sons and I had a fantastic time. I want to thank Ray, his lovely wife Claudia, Gene and Penny for making this Gathering something to remember. The four of you truly are amazing people and I wish you all the best. Thanks to you all and God Bless!

Now, bring 'em on!
    ~Brian

What type of pictures do you want? I spent a bit of time in the Valley (Yosemite) climbing it's rock wall's. El Cap, Half Dome, Sentinel, etc.

Russ
  • 07-13-2006, 09:49 AM
    Kokopeli
    Re: Official Yosemite Gathering Photos
    Let me tell ya...

I had forgotten how much fun we had on this trip. I guess I've kinda blocked it from my memory. This trip was the last "real" photography I've done. Seeing it again seems to have sparked my interest again.. Hopefully it'll take hold this time.
  • 07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
    poker
    Man this is nice! I hope I get to go to Yosemite with PR the next time ya'll set this up.

I know how most of you all look now :D
  • 07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
    walterick
    Where did this thread come from?! :D
  • 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
    schrackman
    Rick, it looks like manasca was peering through this old thread and decided to comment. Looking at these pictures again makes me realize just how fast two years goes by!

After reading the L.A. thread, and seeing this one pop up again, makes me want to organize a Fall photogathering at Yosemite when all the leaves are changing colors at the season's change, even if I have to attend it myself! LOL
  • 07-13-2006, 12:36 PM
    Kokopeli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    Rick, it looks like manasca was peering through this old thread and decided to comment. Looking at these pictures again makes me realize just how fast two years goes by!

After reading the L.A. thread, and seeing this one pop up again, makes me want to organize a Fall photogathering at Yosemite when all the leaves are changing colors at the season's change, even if I have to attend it myself! LOL

Actually, I was looking for the NYC Gathering thread from the trip I organized (unfortunately to no avail) and I stumbled across this gem.. I couldn't help but read through it again and felt a need to comment.

As for a fall Yosemite trip.. I think that sounds like an awesome idea and I'd be very interested in attending!