ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

NYC Weekend Thread

Well it was a very long day for me and I'm exhausted, but I figured I'd throw one up here before going to bed. (So I can get up and go back to the city tomorrow!)

Danielle

Teamwork....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official NYC Gathering Photos-img_0975_small.jpg  
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Re: One from the Bronx Zoo

What a nice shot Danielle. I wish I could have gotten to the gathering. Would you mind identifying the other photographers here?

Seriously, I like the innate houmor in this shot and the look of concentration and maybe boredom on the face of the guy on the right.
    ----------------------------

Liz

Great shot Danielle - my monkey shots weren't so great.

Here's a couple of mine.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    Well it was a very long day for me and I'm exhausted, but I figured I'd throw one up here before going to bed. (So I can get up and go back to the city tomorrow!)

Danielle

Teamwork....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official NYC Gathering Photos-giraffesint.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-girlint.jpg  

Mig
    C8H10N4O2

Awe giraffes! I saw them briefly - this trip just reminded me that I really should get down there more often. I didn't realize that you had gotten a shot of the girl you guys mentioned when we were talking about the face-painting. That shot came out great Liz! So glad I finally got to meet you and got to meet Joe.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2

Chunk! Don't you recognize Walterick?? He made it after all!

Heh - sorry Rickster, just had to rag on our captain, who didn't even bother to board the ship, let alone go down with it! Seriously though - hope you feel better soon!

Danielle

Danielle and Liz,

Great shots and glad to know that the first day of the New York Gathering went well! Nice shooting.

Liz

Just us

This was our group at the Bronx Zoo today (except I'm behind the camera)
    These are a bit overexposed........I didn't have the polarizer on for these.

Joe, Danielle, Sharon and baby Matthew
    Rick

Liz

Chunk! Don't you recognize Walterick?? He made it after all!

Heh - sorry Rickster, just had to rag on our captain, who didn't even bother to board the ship, let alone go down with it! Seriously though - hope you feel better soon!

Danielle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official NYC Gathering Photos-rick.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-us.jpg  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Just us

See, I told you guys I'd be there in spirit!

Boy, I'm never gonna live this one down am I.

For my sake I hope it turns into pneumonia so you guys all feel badly

In all seriousness I do feel better today thanks all for your wishes.

Danielle I love your first shot that's really great.

Liz your shot of the girl is just amazing.

See you all in Central Park tomorrow. I'll be the monkey on Liz's back ;)

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Official NYC Gathering photos

I showed up at B&H around10:15, rather exhausted from a 50-hour workwek, hanging out last night with another friend in town, and getting woken up by drunken stupid neighbors having a 6:30 a.m. picnic essentially under my window. I sat by the exit and waited, hoping that a PR person was inside! Fortunately, Danielle (Mig) soon bounded with a new lens in tow. I ran inside and picked up some film for my current project, and we got on the train and headed uptown. When we got there, I realized that I took us to the wrong side of the park! So we hopped on the crosstown bus and arrived at the proper meeting spot in ample time. We resolved that if no one showed by noon, we would hop on another bus and go see the Arbus show at the Met. Soon, someone strolled by with a rather suspect camera bag. Sure enough, one of us! Seb joined us. We then mosied on to the gardens in Central Park. I got to try out Mig's Lensbaby. Oooh, fuuuuunnnn... - I might have to get one for my 10S.

Seb was into the idea of going to the Met, so we hopped on the M1 and had lunch in the cafeteria, which the Met cleverly moved since I was last there. Trickeration. The Arbus exhibit was extensive with many of her more famous images hung, as well as earlier less known work. There were 3 separate rooms dedicated to her thought process, very interesting. You could have spent an afternoon in one of them alone. My favorite was the darkroom set up, with her actual enlarger, work prints, contact sheets. There was another room that detailed her transition from 35mm to 2.25x2.25 - very interesting writings. It was really neat to not just see her images, but really get into her mind. Portions of her notebooks and journals were hung and quoted throughout.

I left Seb at 86th Street, and I've got an inkling that he may have had to have stopped at the Guggenheim for at least a photo or two! Just an inkling - it remains to be seen.

It was really great seeing Danielle again, and meeting Seb for the first time. It took me all afternoon to square away which Sebastian he is (sorry, I was so exhausted, I could barely stand let alone retain information.) but I've got it all straight in my head now!

To bad Rick was only there with us in print and in spirit. Heh, can't wait for those photos!

Megan

Re: Just us

Great shots from a great Zoo. Glad to hear you all had a good day full of photo -ops. Did you all visit the bird house there? That is an amazing exhibit.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: NYC Weekend Thread

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    These are tremendous shots -- all of them. So good to see Joe Mags, and Danielle -- and isn't that Joe's wife and new baby I see in the group shot?

I thought that first shot was of Rick, Gene and me -- Rick with his back turned in shame for allowing mere pneumonia to keep him from the Gathering, me in the middle trying to give Rick encouragement and Gene there on the right looking on in dazed wonder.

Looks like you guys really had a good time. I'm anxious to see MORE!

My Best to You,
    Penny

Ya know,

had it not been for my double ear infection, nasal infection and broncitis.... I would have joined in at the last minute at the zoo or Central park AND CALLED OUT SICK for the first time in 2 years . I called out for tinight already though, so there goes my perfect attendance.... rats!

But ..... I wasn't the guy who set it up was I ;)

ALL these images are GREAT!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

arbus

danielle and i were going to try to sneak a photo of the photo of you between two arbus photos, but there was so much security around. and they were pretty bored, standing around and all like security does, so you know that they would have seen it.

megan

Seb

Howdy all,

Last week end was a good one. It should be clearly stated somewhere that "NYC may create an addiction, visitors discretion is adviced...." This was my second visit in a life time and boy that I love the place!.

I reached the city at 4:30pm on saturday and I showed up at the PhilosophyBox arround 7pm. I was rigth on time as it started to rain 15 minutes later. Meeting Gary was a true pleasure. He his a real gentleman. I feel blessed to have seen some of his prints for real. Watching his work on a computer screen is nice but the prints are nothing less than striking. Later on we catched Nina and shared a meal. We had a good time.

I wish I could have been there earlier saturday to meet you folks at the zoo. Maybe next time....

I showed up 20 minutes late at B&H on sunday. I figured out that the place would be quiet and that I could easily identify a bunch of photog hanging out together but I was wrong.... The place was crowded like stores are in Montreal on December 23... Later on I got "somewhat" lost in Central Park but I managed to reach Megan and Mig at the meeting point. I am glad to know them, we had a good day. The Arbus exhibit was truly interesting. I didn't knew her nor her work (gloomy, disturbing and highly fascinating) but the exhibit was well made and quite interesting for the reasons that Megan stated.

Megan: I did went to the Guggenheim! The building is awesome. I have only shot pictures inside as it started to rain rather quickly after I reached the place. I'll post some of them on the Viewfinder soon.

Mig: I just got to realise who you really are... well hmm... right now!! lol. I noticed some of your photographs in the past but didn't realised that it was you. I should spend (a lot) more time on the Viewfinder. Please, post the "group" shot here. I wanna see it!!!

regards

Seb

Seb

Ok so here is a quicky from Central Park.

Now, out of topic, does anybody knows how to get a final picture that match the original (with Photoshop) while saving for the web??? I work my RAW files which are shot in Adobe RGB mode. I supose that Photoshop apply an sRGB conversion while saving for the web and it seriously mess up the results. I didn't had this problem while shooting directly in sRGB mode at the first place. I am sorry for taking the tread in another direction but I had to ask!

More pictures from the gathering to come in the short run.

Seb

edit: If anyone have a solution to my Photoshop issue please send me a private message in order not to mess up with the current tread. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Liz

Hi Seb

Nice image - glad you enjoyed Central Park.

.........regarding the questions, you might want to cross-post this information and question in the Digital Imaging Forum - here's the link (or Helpfiles). You would probably get more advice.

Now, out of topic, does anybody knows how to get a final picture that match the original (with Photoshop) while saving for the web???

Digital Imaging Forum
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=32

Liz

Liz

A few more pics.....

Bear - lighting not great......but he was soooooo cute!

The tigers were shot through a very dirty window. I loved the tigers!
    The 2nd one is just a cropped version of the first.

The Flamingos made a nice peaceful scene.

Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official NYC Gathering Photos-tigerint.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-tigercropint.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-bearint.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-pelicansint.jpg  

Re: A few more pics.....

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Bear - lighting not great......but he was soooooo cute!

The tigers were shot through a very dirty window. I loved the tigers!
    The 2nd one is just a cropped version of the first.

Pelicans was a nice peaceful scene.

Liz
    Liz,

Just wonderful shots. The closeup of the tiger was very good! Don't you mean flamingo's by the way in the bottom shot? Or am I extrememly missing something?!!

Liz

Re: A few more pics.....

Thanks Jared! You certainly were missing anything - you got that right. I have a migraine today.........guess it's effecting my brain.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Liz,

Just wonderful shots. The closeup of the tiger was very good! Don't you mean flamingo's by the way in the bottom shot? Or am I extrememly missing something?!!

My baby at the Bronx Zoo

Ok, Ok so it's my "babies" at the Bronx Zoo... Had a great time and It was nice to see Liz again and to meet Danielle for the first time. My film (I know, what's that) is still being developed. I'll post a few when I get the prints back. These two pictures were taken by Liz. Thanks Liz!

Take Care,
    Joe Mags
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official NYC Gathering Photos-bronxzoo8.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-bronxzoo3.jpg  

Seb

Re: My baby at the Bronx Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by joemags
    Ok, Ok so it's my "babies" at the Bronx Zoo... Had a great time and It was nice to see Liz again and to meet Danielle for the first time. My film (I know, what's that) is still being developed. I'll post a few when I get the prints back. These two pictures were taken by Liz. Thanks Liz!

Take Care,
    Joe Mags
    LOL! Now that's what I am talking about! Be proud of your babies (both of them actually...)

Seb

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hi Seb

Nice image - glad you enjoyed Central Park.

.........regarding the questions, you might want to cross-post this information and question in the Digital Imaging Forum - here's the link (or Helpfiles). You would probably get more advice.

Now, out of topic, does anybody knows how to get a final picture that match the original (with Photoshop) while saving for the web???

Digital Imaging Forum
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=32

Liz
    Thanks Liz, you are right!

Seb

Mig
    C8H10N4O2

Ask and ye shall receive!

I've been slacking the past few nights on editing, but I'll get around to it (eventually).

For now:

1) Megan, (Rick), Seb

2) Ooh, yeah, that's the spot!

3) Ya know, I really did take photos of animals other than these monkeys at the zoo (I swear!), but look at this dude's face!

4) Lensbaby flowers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official NYC Gathering Photos-crw_1093_edited-1.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-img_0977_small.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-img_0979_small.jpg   Official NYC Gathering Photos-crw_1078_small.jpg  

Mig
    C8H10N4O2

That's beautiful Seb - I can never get B&W conversions of flowers to come out right, but yours looks great.

It was great meeting you!

Danielle

Seb

Ask and ye shall receive!

I've been slacking the past few nights on editing, but I'll get around to it (eventually).

For now:

1) Megan, (Rick), Seb

2) Ooh, yeah, that's the spot!

3) Ya know, I really did take photos of animals other than these monkeys at the zoo (I swear!), but look at this dude's face!

4) Lensbaby flowers
    Oh yes! I like the group shot! So as you can all see, Rick made it... somehow.... ;)
    I love your flowers shot Mig. The lensbaby effect is very neat on that one.
    Thanks for your comment on my b&w conversion. I must say that the channel mixer (Photoshop CS2) really help. I would have worked a lot to get that kind of effect with Photoshop Element 2.

regards!

Seb

Seb

A few from the Guggenheim....

The striking architecture of this museum leads to several opportunities....

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information