ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Wow, sounds like we have enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    say we go around the neighborhood scaring small children and old folks with our cameras...
    Sounds good! I've been interested in doing something like this in Chinatown but haven't made it there myself other than a quick drive-by. We could probably take the "EL" there, but I have no idea how that works...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Wow, sounds like we have enough...

Steve, if you're serious about checking out China-town, it's easy to get to by train.

Sebastian and I had dinner there a couple of years back. Unfortunately, we went on a Sunday night (uh yeah, the best time to have dinner, eh?), and everything was closed except a few restaurants.

I'd really like to see it during the day when all the shops are open, so maybe we could figure something out...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ghost

Re: The Official Chicago Gathering Thread!

I had my first visit to Chinatown this past weekend. Went to a reception for a Chinese wedding...it was a lot of fun. Like a 16 course freaking dinner. Chinatown is photogenic...but surprisingly small.

Did someone say micro-brewery?!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

drg

Goose Island ! ! !
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Does Goose Island do a brewery tour?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Mmm... Beer... Good question, I'll check it out. I've gotta pull out some maps to figure out what will work, time-wise. I don't know if we can hit both Goose Island (and tour, possibly) and Chinatown, still having enough time in both places to make it worthwhile. I'm hoping to use the "el" so we can all keep together. Taking three or four cars would be a real hassle!

Any more suggestions?

The EL would be the best option since it is cheap to get around. There isn't much in the way of cheap or ample parking anywhere in the City. And that doesn't include city traffic.

I think the EL is $1.75 per use, and that includes free transfers to other lines.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Hello everyone, I would like to join everyone for this trip. I'm coming from Northwest Indiana and it will give me a chance to use my new camera. I just got a canon s1 is and that would be great to talk to everyone for input on taking pictures as I'm new to digital.

It does sound like it would be a good time. What weekend is it again?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

We are planning for the weekend of the 12th of November.

Whose planning on making Saturday?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    We are planning for the weekend of the 12th of November.

Whose planning on making Saturday?
    Hey, I can make it on the 12th! Uh, what city was it again? ;)

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Hey, I can make it on the 12th! Uh, what city was it again? ;)

I think they were talking somewhere in Flordia...right around Disneyworld.

Also Steve, thanks for your email help the past few months. I've just picked up a copy of a magazine with my photo in it. Hurray! Once it's my turn on the desktop, I'm going to scan and post the page.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

drg

I am (as of this moment) planning on trying to come in to the Loop late Friday Night. Like to get an EARLY start and shoot some buildings and maybe Navy Pier if the weather is not beastly as the sun comes up. I need a new photo of the Sun rising inside of the Ferris Wheel. The angle may be tough or clouds . . .

Not to knock Chinatown, but remember, this is Chicago! You've got the opportunity to see some of the greatest urban architecture anywhere in the world. Not to mention both Grant and Lincoln parks in the near Loop area. Also, if you haven't seen the Picasso you should.
    The EL is easy, the maps now work and the signage is much improved. Bring singles, as the vending machines don't give change and there are not live people to help at all stops.

I'm thinking about a walking tour of Statuary in the downtown area including the Picasso and the various war memorials, building adornments (that haven't fallen off recently) and other such special stuff. Bring your wide angles! They don't really have to be that wide for what I've got in mind for the most part.

This is the last holiday for the Grand Dame of State Street, Marshall Field's is going to be converted to MACY"s Windows probably won't be fully decorated, but think about checking out the building.

Tomorrow evening when I get done with work (yaaaah IT'S MOD '05, see postings ) and a birthday party I'll post some more possibilities.
    CDPrice 'drg'

drg, that sounds great! Spending most of my life less than two hours from downtown, I don't know it as well as I should.

The only thing about the parks is that they'll be shut down for the winter and usually we end up with grey skies (like Kodak grey card grey...), but I'm sure there are still possibilities there. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of urban stuff - plus there's the EL for easy/cheap transportation (and it's own photo possibilities) and the possibility of stopping for coffee, etc.

[I am (as of this moment) planning on trying to come in to the Loop late Friday Night....]

Cool. I'll be in Friday as well. You're welcome to join me and whomever else is around for drinks or dinner...

[Not to knock Chinatown, but remember, this is Chicago! You've got the opportunity to see some of the greatest urban architecture anywhere in the world. Not to mention both Grant and Lincoln parks in the near Loop area...]

Very true, but you have to remember that for some of us, this is the third or fourth time visiting the city. We always hit both of those parks for a bit, but at this point I don't think I want to spend hours there.

BTW, I'm totally with you on the architecture. One of my goals is to shoot some strong urban landscapes this year...

[Like to get an EARLY start and shoot some buildings and maybe Navy Pier if the weather is not beastly as the sun comes up. I need a new photo of the Sun rising inside of the Ferris Wheel. The angle may be tough or clouds...]

Well, at this point I think I'm allergic to Navy Pier, heh heh. Way too much of a tourist trap. As for the skies, I don't think we'll know until that weekend. Each year I've been up there, there has been great variety in the weather, with plenty of sunshine as well as cloud cover.

Makes things interesting, as you really have to think about the light and what you're trying to shoot, as well as the small window in which to shoot it...

BTW2, being a Mitsubishi man from way back (Starion owner in late 80's), I'm curious as to what that MOD'05 thing is all about...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

drg

The parks are a good jumping off point for many of the more photogenic areas of the downtown area. Grant Park gives you (in the AM certainly) the best views of Michigan Avenue south of the River, the Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Natural History Museum, the Standard Oil Building (my favorite 1000' building), the Lake Towers(silhouetted against the lake in the morning), and on and on. Not to far south is Soldier's Field (will post a pic of the Spaceship that crashed if I haven't), McCormick Place and more!

Lincoln Park itself whether its the zoo, the boat sheds, or the various apartment complexs surrounding it also provide great urban landscapes. The north end of Lincoln Park is a treasure trove of 'stuff'(a technical term). Among other things is the Elks National Building (I can't remember the exact title, will look it up) which is a Greek Revival monument. There's also several pieces of statuary that aren't listed too many places in both Parks. Buckingham Fountain after it is shut down for winter, if covered with snow is still neat.

Grant Park also puts one close to the new Library, a truly entertaining place to see! Golden Gargoyles or the like (I think phoenix's really) and glass expanses both inside and out. Just south of there(Congress) is Printer's Row, an area rehabbed in the past ten years or so that wanders off down toward the river with various attempts at brightly colored exteriors and overdone somnolent facades.

Navy Pier is one of the better places (even in the winter) to shoot back down the River. Which reminds me, a walk along the river might be interesting.

There's the Picasso in the central Loop area, and banks, the Board of Trade and Federal Reserve (which if we are sly we can photograph and not bring out the Federales), and then west of the Loop for the Sears Tower, AMEX, the new AT&T building and again on and on.

I kind of need to know if you want new building, classic/revival buildings, one of a kind (like the Thompson Center), churches/synagogues, architectural features (clocks, plazas, elevations, entryways, facades,) or whatever.

I'll pull together a list of specific possibilities beyond what I've mentioned. If you're interested.

Now all of this presupposes that the weather isn't too foul. I'll let others sort of decide as I'm rather use to and comfortable with most anything less than a full blizzard or an ice storm.

There's a couple of options indoors with Botanical Gardens (depends on what's showing) and the Pier may have a floral show that weekend, I'll work on that this upcoming week. Riding certain trains either north or south can provide some tremendous picture opportunities as well if that's your thing.

Chicago has a lot of neighborhoods (Parishes in one vernacular) that have fascinating possibilities. If you look at Chicago Magazine, it will give you a good start on what might grab your fancy. It's somewhat regional but I've seen it across the country over the years.

If you want to travel very far - Chicago Transit Information is a good link to start with, though it can make the fare process sound a lot more complicated than it is. Just stuff money in the machines, get a transit card and off you go!

More soon.
    CDPrice 'drg'

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    I kind of need to know if you want new building, classic/revival buildings, one of a kind (like the Thompson Center), churches/synagogues, architectural features (clocks, plazas, elevations, entryways, facades,) or whatever.

I'll pull together a list of specific possibilities beyond what I've mentioned. If you're interested.
    Hey I truely appreciate your offer for help, but in this case I don't mind just wandering around looking at what I see, and seeing what I look at. I find I work much better that way, and besides, I know Chicago well enough by now that it shouldn't be too difficult.

For me, the lighting and the "scene" is much more important than any particular buildings or architectual features. My choices will be governed mostly by the cloud cover, and I won't know what that is until the morning I go out...

Thanks again...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

drg

Hey I truely appreciate your offer for help, but in this case I don't mind just wandering around looking at what I see, and seeing what I look at. I find I work much better that way, and besides, I know Chicago well enough by now that it shouldn't be too difficult.

For me, the lighting and the "scene" is much more important than any particular buildings or architectual features. My choices will be governed mostly by the cloud cover, and I won't know what that is until the morning I go out...

Thanks again...
    Your welcome. Sometimes the 'random walk' is the most fun as well. Perhaps we'll all get lucky and have some sun and clouds. If it's too flat it can just get grey that time of year.

Something to whet everyone's appetite(so to speak), I dug this up from last summer:

Chicago snap

Will work on a list this coming weekend of some interesting possibilites for those interested.

By the way, anybody have a particular ethnic food favorite for a restaurant choice?
    CDPrice 'drg'

Ethnic food? Who eats that?

But if you must know...the best resturaunt in the city is Dick's Last Resort. Surliest waitstaff you'll ever meet.

One thing to be careful of in the city is that neighborhoods can go from good to bad in a couple of blocks. This isn't a problem in the loop as long as you stay away from Lower Wacker Drive (at least I think it isn't), but if you start taking the EL around to other spots in the city, you need to be careful.

That said, Chicago has some very ethnic neighborhoods. Greektown, Chinatown, and Devon Avenue near California all come to mind. Devon Ave, in particular, goes from Indian to Arabic to Russian in the span of four blocks (it was an interesting experience when my college's honors program when down to that neighborhood....talk about standing out in a crowd...nothing beats a group of students from Wisconsin that are freaking out). I think these would make interesting places for some street photography.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    By the way, anybody have a particular ethnic food favorite for a restaurant choice?
    How about Thai? Star of Siam on Illinois would be a good lunch stop - very good, fresh stuff and cheap. It can be spicy, or not if you choose. It's even better when you're driving, they validate parking at $6 for 3 hours. That's probably 1/4 of what it would usually cost around there.

OTOH, there are so many good places that maybe we should see where we want to be first. DRG, thanks for helping out. I don't know downtown that well but would still like to fit Chinatown into the weekend at some point. Wherever we can get to by the "el" and not deal with driving gets my vote...

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm down as a "call in" for work on the 12th, so that is still up in the air. What's the plan for Sunday? I might be able to hook up with everyone sometime Sunday. Has anyone put together an itinerary as to where the group will be during the weekend or you still figuring that out? I'm only about 3 hours from the city, but I have never been there, other than the airport. So being with a group that knows the city would be a great opportunity that I would hate to miss out on.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'm gonna guess that Sunday will be more "see how it goes" than Saturday. I guess it also depends how late Saturday night goes too... ;)

I'll PM you my cell #, call me on that Saturday and we might have a little better idea of what's going on.

So far it looks like I'm in the same boat as Michael. My girlfriend just informed me that a friend of hers is getting married on Sat. the 12th. I would love to join everyone on Sunday as I live only 45 minutes away and spend the day walking around the city.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information