ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off Roadin'!

Re: Off Roadin'!

This was shot around 2000 or 2001 with film in an Elan IIe, with. Fuji NPH if memory serves.
    My old Cherokee a few miles South of Vegas.
    -Bruce

Frog why do you get all the snow....... All we have gotten has been rain some ice and cool wet wind.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Its about gone already.....I was hoping for more as wanted to get some more local shots in.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Did I hear someone say off-road????
    Jeep, 2004 White Horse CanyonTrail, Canyonlands Needles area. Just two of us and one vehicle, but a Satellite phone.

2006 Salt Creek Trail, Arches National Park, again just two and a sat phone. View from inside the H3. Moved up to a Hummer. (Yes, they do go off road quite well.)

2006 Long Canyon Trail

2007 White Rim Trail, Canyonlands Island in the Sky District. 110 miles, 11 hours.

2007 Climbing up from Cathedral Valley, Capital Reef NP. Just one vehicle, but back up was only about 150 miles away, in Moab.

I do not recommend going off-road in the desert, unless you do have some form of communications to the outside world. Needless to say, there is no cell phones and no pay phones. We saw no one on Cathedral Valley road the entire three days we were there. Saw no one on White Rim Trail, but there were two hummers.
    Need to take plenty of water and food, as well as warm clothes just in case you do have to spend a night. Basic first aid kit and snake bite kit is a must. I could say take plenty of ammo, but for most, weapons in a NP are illegal.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Would my Rav4 make it?
    Beautiful area. I live in the wet NW but have always felt an attraction to desert lands.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Ok, I give up. My little adventures just can't compete.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Okay, hang in there homeboy, there is something in Florida that they don't do anywhere else in the world. In fact they're televised on ESPN. The Swamp buggy Races here in Naples. The fastest things in mud.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    JUST TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE!

Azusa Canyon OHV, California

Soda Lake, Old Mojave Road, Califonia

Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Alright f5fstop i finally grabbed these off my external HD. I think i can match and one up those trips!

all these were one car, either 2 or 4 people. but we also had park radios, as we were working. And "The Maze" trip we actually picked up the park ranger vehicle for part of the time (The girl driving was a ranger the summer before).

Long canyon trail- in our G-rig excursion.

Shafer trail road (going down to the white rim road) - I sky again in excursion

Going in to the maze- we took a G-rig cherokee, similar to what the park rangers use, although not lifted.

still going in to the maze, right before the 3 extra passengers got out to reduce the weight in car.

heres two more from this same area going in to the maze.

And heres one from Hawaii from inside my Cousins jeep wrangler. It was probbably the worst of any of the roads ive been on, but the "public" beach you got to was incredable, maybe jsut cause we camped there though.

we also went on so many other roads around canyonlands, Shafer road (Not much of the white rim though), Potash road, salt/ Horse canyon in the needles ( is your white horse canyon the same as horse? that bend looks familiar, cept we did it in our excursion, but hit and slid sideways on the frame on the rock on the ground- and barely cleared the roof), lavender canyon, Davis canyon, the road above needles near bridger jack mesa, lavender, horse, salt creek canyons.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Dylan - your #4 shot is too funny - all those scraps and gouges! Although from a N/W standpoint, I must protest!

Dstrickland - those are hillarious. Must be a hoot to watch. Goes to prove that if there is dirt, water, mud, snow, ...whatever, there will always be people to find a way to spend a lot of money and have a good time in it.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

hahah thanks loupey. the scene in pic 4 is the same as pic 6. the first ridge in pic 4 (closest to car) is the one the car is going up in pic 6. You can see all the gouges in it if you look close. It was a 2 foot ledge btw, and i think most scrapes were from going down, the tail gates scraping.

and yeah it sucks from a natural environment aspect, but the only thing bad i can see with it is just it doesn't look pretty. its on bare bedrock and is technically a road, so its confined to these areas. and would probbably become not as obvious after a few rains.

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    and yeah it sucks from a natural environment aspect, but the only thing bad i can see with it is just it doesn't look pretty. its on bare bedrock and is technically a road, so its confined to these areas. and would probbably become not as obvious after a few rains.
    I was kidding with you I'm sure, in general, the hard-core off roading enthusiast probably holds a higher regard for the environment than the average person. More harm is done day in and day out by the unthinking ones who throw trash out on the city roads and highways.

This has been a public service annoucement.

See my website HERE.

well you might have been kidding, but it was something i thought about as well. possibly becuase the weekend i arrived in Moab was their jeep safari weekend, and i witnessed events such as this... on potato knob.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

Well that looks to be an Off Roading Party. I doubt that not everyone properly buried or bagged their poo that day.

"Properly dispose your poop".

This has been a public service annoucement.

See my website HERE.

Dylan8i - Haven't made it to the maze yet, maybe next year.
    When you went down the Shafer trail, did you also do the entire white rim? If so, you got to ride Mineral trail back up into the high area.

There were a lot of scrapes on the rocks on Salt Creek Trail. Another great one is Gemini Bridge Road off 191 (not from Canyonlands). Straight up and very narrow and very dangerous. A Wrangler fell off a year or two ago. Cache Canyon (access from inside Arches via a 4x4 road near Delicate Arch Overview area) is fun, almost all boulders and has a great view of the colorado river, after traveling a few hours. Other than the view of the river, the area is very blah.

If you are ever out there in July PM me. I'm heading back to Cathedral Valley this summer, with a guy who will be following me in a new Rubicon (very modified), then after that we are heading to Moab to meet up with another Hummer owner and probably climb some boulders like Golden Spike, Escalator, the Pit and maybe even do the Moab Rim Trail if we have time.
    We always welcome others.

As for environment issues. All the off-roaders I know are very big into the environment, most belonging to Thread Lightly, or other 4x4 environment groups. If we are going in for a couple days, where there are no designated facilities, we carry our little bags on the back of the spare tires filled all trash and waste. Places like the white rim trail have designated areas with porta potties located at campsites.

Happy trails....

Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

Nope i didn't get to do any of the white rim, we just had a day trip down shafer, to find a few of our survey spots, then back up. i probbably won't be out there any time soon, all that was the one summer ( 2006) when i had a job out there. I don't even had a 4wd car, i have a little sports car.... that i got stuck in snow in the mtns on may 31, and took on a bunch of dirt (washboarded roads) in arches etc. but all the 4wd roads we did were in canyonlands cause thats where we were working. we did get to canoe down the colorado and green and go through cataract canyon on the NPS river rescue boats twice (once at 24,000 cfs and once at 28,000 cfs).

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

Too bad. The entrance onto White Rim is a more photographic from Mineral trail than via the Shafer trail (not that the Shafer trail area is ugly). After you drop to the canyon bottom you are confronted with the Green River at ground level.
    Shafer trail from inside the H3:

Looking down on Mineral trail into Canyonlands (about half way down the trail)

Mineral Springs from bottom of Mineral springs road facing west

Facing east

Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information