ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

An October recap

after what started as a relatively good month, thing spiraled downhill. Our kitchen (which has been under construction all summer) is finally coming together. All we need is the outlets and drywall. The new windows should be in within the week, and someone is coming out to do that, so it will be a quick day or two. Our birthday season (October-December) is coming up, we are ready for that. Got some spiffy new Halloween decorations, everything is set.

Monday the 10th I get a call from my sister in law, my husband's brother has passed away. At 32. Can I let his parents know. Okay, I can do that, is there anything we can do for you? Can I come out for a bit. They are in Maryland. Okay. So I get off the phone with her, call my husband to come home, call his parents to come over.

Then we have to make plans. My father in law flies to LA to tell my sister in law Monday night. They fly back Tuesday morning, to our house. I fly to Maryland Monday afternoon and spend a day and half with the kids and my sister in law. Fly home late Tuesday evening, drive the entire way home before realizing my headlights are burnt out. Both of them.

Wednesday the military guy from Milwaukee comes to our house. Apparently he's been trying to track down my mil and fil since he was notified, he was supposed to tell them. My in-laws must have passed him on the highway.

Thursday we kept the girls home from school. While their day-to-day life hasn't been affected by what happened, and the whole thing is still kind of abstract, the fact that everyone has been camped at our place, and obviously upset, had been hard on them.

The next Monday was the funeral. They had the service at the funeral home, and then another military service at the cemetary where he will have a plaque, as he is being cremated. A very emotional, draining day. Although on the plus side, my girls were extremely well behaved, and handled everything beautifully.

By Wednesday, everyone had gone back to their respective homes, and ours is empty. We spent Thursday and Friday getting things back to normal. Football on Sunday, pretty much just a lot of laying around. Now everyone is back to work/school and our schedule is back on track.

Except my kitchen isn't finished, and we are having a b-day party this Saturday

I'm hoping November is better.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: An October recap

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the family loss.

I hope November goes better for you as well. If it does not hear is a little quote that may help:

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.

Martha Washington
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Re: An October recap

Sounds like you got in there and did what needed to be done and were strong for your girls. 32 is a terrible young age to die. I hope he enjoyed life while he could.

Here's hoping November is better (even if the kitchen doesn't get done).

2k2s

Thread Information