NYU Portfolio help

Printable View

• 07-06-2005, 02:55 AM
    waxgoblin
    NYU Portfolio help
    hi everybody,
    I haven't been on here in a long time, pretty much because I havn't had time to take pictures, a result of school. Summer is here, and it is time to start college applications. One school I will be applying to is NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, with a major in Photography and Imaging. They want 20 pictures, and right now I have 9 that I like enough to send in. You may recognize them as pictures I posted here about a year ago from when I went to Huntington Lake. I will be going there again in a couple weeks and this time spend more time on photography. Some of the other pictures are from San Francisco when I went to Yerba Buena Island and got to go on a boat ride with the coast guard. The last picture is of Auburn University. I took it from a Cessna-172, and I'm not sure that I want to keep it in the portfolio, because I would like to have a pretty much nature-based portfolio. Does anybody here know much about photo-school portfolios? Here are the pics, thanks

Tisch School of the Arts

http://www.vivacitynet.com/andrew/NYU/
  • 07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
    Cowgirl
    Re: NYU Portfolio help
    Wether its for a school, a job, or any photo related endeavor, your portfolio should exhibit your absolute best work! Your images should have beautiful lighting, great compositions, saturation of colors, and they should have a creative, attention-grabbing subject. They should say 'I worked hard for this shot!'

For school purposes, a mix of landsapes & photojournalism style images should work well. Mix them up and get creative!

Also, presentation is a key factor as well. If you are showing a print portfolio, 8x10's, 11x14's and larger should be shown in a professional style portfolio album. Whatever size you choose, the prints should all be the same size. I personally like 11x14's and larger.

Best of luck!

Kathy
  • 07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
    Gerry Widen
    I don't have any recent experience with submitting a portfilio for college. I would think either one single unified group that shows off your skills and talents or 2wo or 3hree. I would follow Kathy's suggestins above. <p>That said IMO I think the photos you have so far are lacking. Most of them don't have a central subject. They seem like snapshots without much thought or effort put into them. I don't want to be mean but I think you have to put a lot more effort into your photography if you want to be successful. It is a very competitive, difficult and demanding profession. If you are serious I would go to the library or book store and take a look at photos of some of the famous photographers. If there are museums or galleries nearby that would be great. See how they compose their pictures. How they tell a story or set a mood.
  • 07-08-2005, 12:25 PM
    iJoe
    you also should be shooting all the time, you need not be on vacation or free from school to shoot... shoot everyday, or you are not a photographer everyday
  • 07-08-2005, 03:21 PM
    waxgoblin
    k thanks